Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Hockey Widow »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Rede wrote:It's the combination of not having proven himself and expecting a top 6 role. He seems unwilling to take his 'lumps' which is concerning to me. No question he has a higher ceiling than McCann or Virtanen, I'm wary of giving up guys who have shown that maturity and deal with adversity like being scratched. You don't win cups by bailing when the going gets tough.

That said, maybe McCann is on the first line to showcase him.
Fair enough Rede, I get your concerns.

Gotta remember that players of his ilk aren't available at his age if there aren't concerns. Sometimes you gotta roll the dice a little, and considering our team's dearth of elite talent, it seems like we should be interested.

Similar to Seguin. Now he never held out nor demand a trade so not similar in that respect. But similar in a young high end talent with issues. Boston sold low IMO. The Hawks almost gave up on Kane early in his career due to his issues. Turns had his issues with Phoenix, Baertschi in Calgary. Loads of examples of younger talented players with huge upside with various issues being shipped out. Hamilton and Thorton in Boston also come to mind.

Now I get the issues are different but the point is younger guys can have issues that are situation and they out grow, some never do. But Drouin's high end talent is there in spades and a team like Vancouver would be perfect for him right now as right now we are icing a ton of kids. A contender may not be any more forgiving of him right now than Tampa is.
The only HW the Canucks need
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Rumsfeld »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:
Rede wrote:It's the combination of not having proven himself and expecting a top 6 role. He seems unwilling to take his 'lumps' which is concerning to me. No question he has a higher ceiling than McCann or Virtanen, I'm wary of giving up guys who have shown that maturity and deal with adversity like being scratched. You don't win cups by bailing when the going gets tough.

Gotta remember that players of his ilk aren't available at his age if there aren't concerns. Sometimes you gotta roll the dice a little, and considering our team's dearth of elite talent, it seems like we should be interested.

Similar to Seguin. Now he never held out nor demand a trade so not similar in that respect. But similar in a young high end talent with issues. Boston sold low IMO. The Hawks almost gave up on Kane early in his career due to his issues. Turns had his issues with Phoenix, Baertschi in Calgary. Loads of examples of younger talented players with huge upside with various issues being shipped out. Hamilton and Thorton in Boston also come to mind.

Now I get the issues are different but the point is younger guys can have issues that are situation and they out grow, some never do. But Drouin's high end talent is there in spades and a team like Vancouver would be perfect for him right now as right now we are icing a ton of kids. A contender may not be any more forgiving of him right now than Tampa is.
Yeah good points Wids, I was gonna bring up the Kane comparison earlier. He's a selfish little shit as well.

They're actually pretty similar players, although Drouin's faster and Kane's hands have always been otherworldly. If he turns out half as good as Kane he'll be a very good player.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Kassian assigned to AHL. Oilers say to keep him playing as they are done until after the All Star game.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:

Yeah. And modern science has shown that the brain isn't fully formed until you're roughly 25 years old. People in their teens/early twenties especially tend to have problems with impulse control and with the assessment of risk vs reward, the latter especially in the sense that they tend to underestimate risk and they crave immediate reward. Thus people in their early twenties tend to do stupid things, that they would not do if they were just a few years older. With this in mind, you should never assume that someone in their early twenties who is behaving like a selfish prick is always going to be that way. In a few years time the frontal lobes, that are responsible for social control, will have gained the upper hand over the amygdala, the reptile brain, that is all about emotion.

Then again, some people remain selfish pricks their whole life. But young adults at least have an excuse. :drink:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
damonberryman
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by damonberryman »

Rede wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:To get Drouin you have to give. He should be playing in the NHL right now. I said McCann but agree as a centre he is more valuable to us right now.

Virtanen has shown potential but let's be honest, if he were a prospect for any other team we wouldn't trade a second for him. I'd rather trade him than give up this year's first. Brock Boeser? He hasn't proven anything. Gaunce and Shinkaruk? Maybe that's enough. But Drouin isn't a bust, just not playing. And it was his agent who staged the walk out. Let's remember Calgary called Baertschi a malcontent prima donna too. The kid is unhappy in Tampa for whatever reasons.

I think he ends up in Detroit though, maybe Boston.
Gaunce and Shinkaruk I probably do, albeit begrudgingly. Virtanen would be tough, definitely wouldn't do Virtanen+ ... Virtanen is a local kid and fits the style of team Benning is trying to build, and definitely doesn't seem like a prima donna. It's about fostering a winning culture for Benning - and I like his body of work so far.

If I'm Yzerman I'm trading him west though unless an offer in the east is too good to pass up.
Tell me you are kidding about Virtanen. The kid is a 19 year old power forward learning his craft. Give him time.
dbr
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by dbr »

Per wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:

Yeah. And modern science has shown that the brain isn't fully formed until you're roughly 25 years old. People in their teens/early twenties especially tend to have problems with impulse control and with the assessment of risk vs reward, the latter especially in the sense that they tend to underestimate risk and they crave immediate reward. Thus people in their early twenties tend to do stupid things, that they would not do if they were just a few years older. With this in mind, you should never assume that someone in their early twenties who is behaving like a selfish prick is always going to be that way. In a few years time the frontal lobes, that are responsible for social control, will have gained the upper hand over the amygdala, the reptile brain, that is all about emotion.

Then again, some people remain selfish pricks their whole life. But young adults at least have an excuse. :drink:
"Don't worry, he'll settle down and be a good team player just in time for his UFA contract"
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Rumsfeld »

Florida re-ups Barkov at six for six. Makes the Sutter contract look pretty shitty, and I'm seemingly one of the few Canucks fans who likes Sutter. Kid must really like Florida. Tallon is a wicked GM.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rumsfeld wrote: Florida re-ups Barkov at six for six.
Fantastic deal for Florida.

I guess when a 20-year-old, coming off an entry-level contract, is your #1 centre, you can't lose as a GM.
Rumsfeld wrote: Makes the Sutter contract look pretty shitty
$4.375M... vs... $5.9M... hmmm

Talon was buying mostly RFA years (imagine Barkov's next contract!) Benning was buying UFA years.

Not a fair comparison, you should wait until Benning re-ups Horvat/McCann.

Or how about comparing Benning's Sutter to Tallon's Bolland ($5.5M, 3 yrs older than Sutter). :mex:
Rumsfeld wrote: Kid must really like Florida.
I wonder how much taxes have to do with that...

http://www.taxpayer.com/media/CTF-HomeI ... antage.pdf

($8.5M in Tampa is $9.864M in Toronto, guess where Stamkos is going to sign) :wink:
Rumsfeld wrote: Tallon is a wicked GM.
:lol:

If so, Benning is wickeder!
____
Try to focus on someday.
dbr
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by dbr »

Strangelove wrote:I wonder how much taxes have to do with that...

http://www.taxpayer.com/media/CTF-HomeI ... antage.pdf

($8.5M in Tampa is $9.864M in Toronto, guess where Stamkos is going to sign) :wink:
That's a fun little rabbit hole to go down.. Stamkos would lose about 8% of his income to taxes signing in Toronto but would gain what... 40% more spending power?

$8.5m USD x 59% left after tax in Tampa = $5.015m
$8.5m USD X 51.4% left after tax in Toronto X 1.4 exchange rate = $6.116m

Unless is living in a bachelor suite and driving around Tampa in a Hyundai I'd wager that it would take more than back-of-the-napkin calculations to figure out which of the two options was preferable.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

He ain't signing that 8.5, coopertown rule.

Stamkos wants to be in his hometown and Tdot will give him one of the biggest contracts in the NHL, plus the loonie will be going up in the summer, so I heard.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
vic
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by vic »

Shawn Horcoff suspended 20 games for use of PED

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/shaw ... n-off-ice/
damonberryman
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by damonberryman »

Rumsfeld wrote:
damonberryman wrote:It just came to me. Alexander Daigle. Fast, great shot, lit it up in the Q. No similarities there at all of course.
It took two posts for Alexander Daigle to come to you?

Name a top-3 pick in the last decade that flamed out like Daigle. Then explain how the fuck a fluke like Daigle is relevant to this discussion.

Have you actually watched Droiun play, dingleberry, or are you just trying to make friends with the John Garrett Pom-Pom Squad?
Such aggression Rum tum my boy and to add one more thing I am ot well known for sucking up to make friends. I think that is what we call transference in my business. :D
damonberryman
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by damonberryman »

Rumsfeld wrote:Florida re-ups Barkov at six for six. Makes the Sutter contract look pretty shitty, and I'm seemingly one of the few Canucks fans who likes Sutter. Kid must really like Florida. Tallon is a wicked GM.
I like Sutter too. Are we friends yet? :)
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Rumsfeld wrote:Florida re-ups Barkov at six for six. Makes the Sutter contract look pretty shitty, and I'm seemingly one of the few Canucks fans who likes Sutter. Kid must really like Florida. Tallon is a wicked GM.

Apples to oranges Rummy. Doc said it best. Wait till you see Hansen's next contract!
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote:

Apples to oranges Rummy. Doc said it best. Wait till you see Hansen's next contract!
Will it make Burrows' looks good? Trade him while he's hot.