Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Tciso
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Tciso »

SKYO wrote:
@CraigCustance

AAV on Oscar Klefbom deal will be $4.167 million. @TSNRyanRishaug first reported 7-year deal.
Oilers sign 22 year old Klefbom to a little over $4M per aav for 7 years.
so, they will give Schultz $10mil/season??? Krazy in Oiler town.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/nhl ... -age-of-49

Another enforcer dies young. Todd Ewan, dead, age 49. No cause released.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The deal the Oil gave Klefbom is based upon potential. The kid is going to be a good defenseman. The Oil are hedging their bet on this kid and probably feel that in a couple seasons that contract will be a good deal for them.

If Reinhart proves why he was drafted 4th overall, throw in Sekera and Nurse, that's looking like a pretty good top 4 D-core there

Really not sure how the Oilers plan on inking all these kids once their ELC's are done? I'm assuming Yakupov, Schultz and Eberle may be the sacrifices there
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

SKYO wrote:
That defense we'd have would be crazy for a solid 5 years at least.

Alexander Edler - Chris Tanev

Dan Hamhuis - Dustin Byfuglien

Powerplay #1

Sedins - V̶r̶b̶a̶t̶a̶ Lucic
Edler - Buff

In what way would that defence be solid?

It would be good but it wouldn't win a cup. Then we still have the problem of drafting middle to late 1st round and we don't get any potential players to replace the Sedins. Don't trade or pickup any FA that will just allow the team to make the playoffs.

Stay with a plan to let the young guys play and plan for 4 - 5 years.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

RoyalDude wrote:The deal the Oil gave Klefbom is based upon potential. The kid is going to be a good defenseman. The Oil are hedging their bet on this kid and probably feel that in a couple seasons that contract will be a good deal for them.
He's got one year left on his ELC, and has played 77 NHL games. I see a huge gamble. I don't watch the Oilers much, but, with almost zero hype on this kid, me thinks the Oilers shoulda and coulda waited before throwing $30 million at him. 7 years is a long contract for a kid with only 72 games.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Tciso wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:The deal the Oil gave Klefbom is based upon potential. The kid is going to be a good defenseman. The Oil are hedging their bet on this kid and probably feel that in a couple seasons that contract will be a good deal for them.
He's got one year left on his ELC, and has played 77 NHL games. I see a huge gamble. I don't watch the Oilers much, but, with almost zero hype on this kid, me thinks the Oilers shoulda and coulda waited before throwing $30 million at him. 7 years is a long contract for a kid with only 72 games.
No offence Tsisco but there has been a lot of quiet hype on Klefbom since and before he was drafted. He is a very good young D-man and yes they did throw him a lot of money but it's not that big of a risk to those who have been following him. I can safely say that this contract will be a good deal for the Oilers cause the best is yet to come with this kid.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Eddy Punch Clock
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

RoyalDude wrote:
Tciso wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
No offence Tsisco but there has been a lot of quiet hype on Klefbom since and before he was drafted. He is a very good young D-man and yes they did throw him a lot of money but it's not that big of a risk to those who have been following him. I can safely say that this contract will be a good deal for the Oilers cause the best is yet to come with this kid.
I think you just invented a new term.

Very oxymoronish.
2011..... the one that got away.
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ewan dies from self inflicted gun shot wound. Family says he battled depression for years.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... 27342.html

Wonder when the NHL will finally eliminate head shots.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Reefer2 wrote:
SKYO wrote:
That defense we'd have would be crazy for a solid 5 years at least.

Alexander Edler - Chris Tanev

Dan Hamhuis - Dustin Byfuglien
In what way would that defence be solid?
Tanev/Hamhuis the uber defensive dmen.

Edler/Byfuglien two-way dmen who can put up points, not to mention buff would be the hulkster beast dman the likes we have never seen here in Canuckland.
Reefer2 wrote: It would be good but it wouldn't win a cup.
At first you ask 'how that would be a solid defense?', then go on to say 'it would be good'...aiight, I think that top 4 could be a Cup winning defense, that is of course if it had the Sedins with a high scoring 2nd line that had a Jeff Carter type. :D
Reefer2 wrote: Then we still have the problem of drafting middle to late 1st round and we don't get any potential players to replace the Sedins.
Well I don't know about you but I like our chances winning the cup WITH the Sedins here, they just need a solid cast around them.

As for draft picks, if we keep on drafting well throughout these drafts we should be A OK for now and the future. (YES we don't know fuck all if these recent picks will amount to anything, but the majority say on paper our recent picks in the past few years are playing some good hockey and have better chance at succeeding to make the big show compared to the tumbleweed
drafting era of Gillis.
Reefer2 wrote: Don't trade or pickup any FA that will just allow the team to make the playoffs.

Stay with a plan to let the young guys play and plan for 4 - 5 years.
I'd say this team will have a healthy blend of the new #YouthMovement mixed with in-prime players and vets. aka known as the Detroit model of years past, and it is what all the Cup teams do, draft->develop prospects who can eventually fullfill the older overpaid vets shoes.

Just to reiterate about the Sedins, I'd hope we can try to win one with them here while our young guns develop and play on the same team, and the twins got at least a few years left in the tank for Horvat, Virtanen etc to come along and play at or close to their prime levels..

Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Jagerbomb->Jagrboss.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
BladesofSteel
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by BladesofSteel »

Hockey Widow wrote:Ewan dies from self inflicted gun shot wound. Family says he battled depression for years.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... 27342.html

Wonder when the NHL will finally eliminate head shots.
Hockey is a full contact sport. You can take away hitting and play beer league style, and still have head shots.

Head shots will never be 100% eliminated. Hazards of the trade.
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Todd Bersnoozi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

*LOL*

Gotta say with Strombo (George Stroumboulopoulos) though, I liked his late nite CBC show when he interviewed politicians, world leaders, authors, famous ppl, celebrities (actors/athletes, etc) and now all he does is hockey nite? What a waste of talent. Guess u gotta do what u luv, only live once. But still, with him... I dunno.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Erik Johnson signs a 7 year extension in Colorado worth $42M ($6M cap hit).