Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Hockey Widow »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: NYR would see him wait a long time to replace Lundquist. Edmonton he could probably be promised back up role but is he ready? No. Ottawa would be intriguing for him. Vancouver I think provides him with the best developmental opportunity and Benning knows the kid and thinks he has what it takes to be a future number one.

Vancouver also provides him the opportunity to be back up in 2-3 years and transition into the number one if he has it.
I can see Edmonton offering him an NHL spot really quick, and the chance to play with a generational player like McDavid is likely to be a big draw. Wouldn't be shocked to see him go to the Oilers. If he's smart he'll go to Vancouver or New York.

NYR have Allaire. That in and of itself would be a draw. Vancouver would give him developmental time. Edmonton would rush him.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Chiarelli apparently has or will be interviewing with Edmonton. Wonder what position? MClellan also on their radar but Boston too is said to be interested in him. If Babcock leaves Detroit they too are said to be interested.
sagebrush
CC Veteran

Post by sagebrush »

^^
Merely back up plans, in case they don`t make the grade at the centre of the universe.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
BurningBeard
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by BurningBeard »

Hockey Widow wrote:Chiarelli apparently has or will be interviewing with Edmonton. Wonder what position? MClellan also on their radar but Boston too is said to be interested in him. If Babcock leaves Detroit they too are said to be interested.
Isn't it more likely that with everything going on with Brian Murray, Chiarelli comes back to Ottawa?
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

BurningBeard wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Chiarelli apparently has or will be interviewing with Edmonton. Wonder what position? MClellan also on their radar but Boston too is said to be interested in him. If Babcock leaves Detroit they too are said to be interested.
Isn't it more likely that with everything going on with Brian Murray, Chiarelli comes back to Ottawa?

That was my first guess. Perfect fit.
BurningBeard
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by BurningBeard »

Hockey Widow wrote:
BurningBeard wrote:
That was my first guess. Perfect fit.
Well... not "perfect" if you're Brian Murray. :?
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Oilers to announce on Friday the hiring of Chiarelli. Unknown what his capacity is.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Hockey Widow wrote:Oilers to announce on Friday the hiring of Chiarelli. Unknown what his capacity is.
Feel a bit for Chiarelli. He listened to Benning, Neely and his other Bruin's staff and traded Seguin. He probably regrets trading a young top 10 player now, a franchise player. They probably make the playoffs with Seguin and Chiareli's job would be safe in Bean town. Oh well, looks like someone will offer him a job anyways.
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Oilers to announce on Friday the hiring of Chiarelli. Unknown what his capacity is.
Feel a bit for Chiarelli. He listened to Benning, Neely and his other Bruin's staff and traded Seguin. He probably regrets trading a young top 10 player now, a franchise player. They probably make the playoffs with Seguin and Chiareli's job would be safe in Bean town. Oh well, looks like someone will offer him a job anyways.

Actually, from an inside source, that's not true. The video we all saw, similar to the one we saw that was supposedly following Benning and company regarding the Kesler trade, was somewhat scripted.

The real story. Allegedly, was that Benning and a few others were opposed to the Seguin trade. Benning advocated that the Bruins keep Seguin because his skill set was hard to come by and felt he was a great top six fit to the Bruins bruising style. He likened the Seguin situation the the P Kane situation in Chicago early in his career. The way the Hawks managed it was through room assignments on the road, who he sat beside on charter flights. They reached out to some of the older vets to basically babysit him on the road. They believed that he would mature and were prepared to wait it out. There were some in Chicago that advocated he be traded for a big return but calmer heads prevailed. The difference may have been that the Hawks were a team on the way up, Boston was already on top. Chiarelli and Neely were the advocates of the trade, but mostly Chiarelli.

The problem with Seguin was booze and girls. He also had an I don't give a fuck attitude that Chiarelli found disrespectful and the situation was described as a pissing contest. It was Chiarelli that went public criticizing Seguin before the trade. In any event, the proponent of the trade was fully on the GM. That trade and the cap problems he created that resulted in the loss of Boychuck were his downfall, apparently. He was basically green lighted after their cup run and he sank by his decisions. He could have survived the Seguin traded had he not boxed the team into cap hell with little in the pipe line.

I have heard numerous times that the real genius in the organization was Benning, this before we got him. In fact after he left Boston more than one player felt that that was the end of their run. Chiarelli never had the confidence of his players the way Benning did. Yes, some of this comes out of the Lucic camp via back channels. Lucic even revived his dream of playing for the Canucks after his contract is up. My friend asked him if he would re-sign in Boston after Benning left and he was non committal. He believes he may be dealt at the next trade deadline. Like all players he would, in all likelihood, re up in Boston if the money and term are there but he doesn't think it will be there. Too many picks and prospects have been traded away for a quick re-build.

He did say he would relish the idea of playing on a Benning built team. He also said his season sucked and he needed a monster season next year. I have no idea what it all means other than the fact that the players in Boston have a ton of respect for Benning and no love lost with Chiarelli.
Arachnid
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Arachnid »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:

Actually, from an inside source, that's not true. The video we all saw, similar to the one we saw that was supposedly following Benning and company regarding the Kesler trade, was somewhat scripted.

The real story. Allegedly, was that Benning and a few others were opposed to the Seguin trade. Benning advocated that the Bruins keep Seguin because his skill set was hard to come by and felt he was a great top six fit to the Bruins bruising style. He likened the Seguin situation the the P Kane situation in Chicago early in his career. The way the Hawks managed it was through room assignments on the road, who he sat beside on charter flights. They reached out to some of the older vets to basically babysit him on the road. They believed that he would mature and were prepared to wait it out. There were some in Chicago that advocated he be traded for a big return but calmer heads prevailed. The difference may have been that the Hawks were a team on the way up, Boston was already on top. Chiarelli and Neely were the advocates of the trade, but mostly Chiarelli.

The problem with Seguin was booze and girls. He also had an I don't give a fuck attitude that Chiarelli found disrespectful and the situation was described as a pissing contest. It was Chiarelli that went public criticizing Seguin before the trade. In any event, the proponent of the trade was fully on the GM. That trade and the cap problems he created that resulted in the loss of Boychuck were his downfall, apparently. He was basically green lighted after their cup run and he sank by his decisions. He could have survived the Seguin traded had he not boxed the team into cap hell with little in the pipe line.

I have heard numerous times that the real genius in the organization was Benning, this before we got him. In fact after he left Boston more than one player felt that that was the end of their run. Chiarelli never had the confidence of his players the way Benning did. Yes, some of this comes out of the Lucic camp via back channels. Lucic even revived his dream of playing for the Canucks after his contract is up. My friend asked him if he would re-sign in Boston after Benning left and he was non committal. He believes he may be dealt at the next trade deadline. Like all players he would, in all likelihood, re up in Boston if the money and term are there but he doesn't think it will be there. Too many picks and prospects have been traded away for a quick re-build.

He did say he would relish the idea of playing on a Benning built team. He also said his season sucked and he needed a monster season next year. I have no idea what it all means other than the fact that the players in Boston have a ton of respect for Benning and no love lost with Chiarelli.
:thumbs:

And the wait begins for McJesus to demand a trade because of Chiarelli :D
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Rayxor
CC Veteran

Post by Rayxor »

He wasn't even part of the Oilers dynasty. How can he know anything about winning?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Who has been talking to Chiarelli? I hear Nicholson has been the main push. It will be interesting to hear what is in store for Lowe and MacT.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Boston Canucker
CC Veteran

Post by Boston Canucker »

If Lowe is really pushed out of the hockey ops side, in favor of Chiarelli, who will then be making the real hockey decisions, not McTavish, then the damn Oilers just got a lot better. The McDavid lottery luck gave Katz clearly the double benefit of both getting McDavid and realizing he could not possibly turn this talent over to this bumbling management team. I love the image of McTavish and his cronies jumping up and down in Europe (apparently in their pajamas) upon hearing they won the lottery, and then returning to Edm to have Katz say, "no, you're not getting to play with the team's shiny new toy, you'll break it."
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Cheese burger, cheese burger cheese burger, no Coke, Pepsi or why Nonis was fired

He doesn't get it.
Nonis also spoke about a couple of his most notable moves - the signings of All-Star forward Phil Kessel and leaves captain Dion Phaneuf to expensive multi-year contracts.

I could have traded Dion at the deadline. We had a deal, it wasn’t a great one, but it was a deal. I look at Phil and Dion and I still think they’re elite, upper-end players. They both could be traded, but it’s not like the leaves are stuck with them if they’re back. I think they can come back and help them,” said Nonis.

Kessel has been labelled many things over his time in Toronto, from an elite superstar to someone who is impossible to coach. Nonis still stands behind the man he signed to an eight-year contract prior to the 2013 season.

I don’t think they have to move Phil Kessel,” he said. “You only move him if you decide the return is worth it. If you don’t get value for him, you’re only hurting your team. I believe the baggage that comes with Phil is overblown. Are there things he has to change? Absolutely. But I can assure you of this: Whatever team wins the Stanley Cup this year will have a Phil Kessel in the lineup. I can guarantee that."
LOL

Cosy up to a Hedge Hog this off season.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Oilers Entertainment Group (OEG) Chief Executive Officer & Vice Chair Bob Nicholson announced today significant changes to the management structure of the organization – both in hockey and business operations.

Peter Chiarelli has been appointed President of Hockey Operations and General Manager effective immediately. Chiarelli will report to CEO Bob Nicholson, and be responsible for all aspects of hockey operations.

“We are delighted to bring a person of Peter’s considerable hockey knowledge and experience to the Edmonton Oilers. Peter has had success at all levels of the game and we look forward to his leadership,” said Nicholson.

“I am honoured to join such a great organization with a long history of success. There is a strong, young core here with good complementary players,” said Chiarelli. “I hope to bring it to the next level with a measured approach. Daryl Katz and Bob Nicholson have a great vision here for the team and Rogers Place. I am very excited to be a part of it.”

Most recently, Chiarelli served as the General Manager of the Boston Bruins for the past eight seasons. He guided the Bruins to the Stanley Cup Finals twice during his tenure in Boston, including winning the Stanley Cup in 2011.

The Nepean, Ontario native has also served as a member of the management group for Hockey Canada’s National Men’s Team, including the 2014 Winter Olympics and the 2013 Men’s World Hockey Championships.

Chiarelli graduated from Harvard University with an Economics degree in 1987 and he played for the Harvard men’s hockey team from 1983-87. He began his career in hockey after graduating with a law degree from the University of Ottawa and was hired as the Director of Legal Relations for the Ottawa Senators in 2000. In 2005, Chiarelli was promoted to assistant General Manager of the Senators and he served in that role for one season, before being hired by the Boston Bruins in 2006.

Kevin Lowe’s responsibilities transition out of hockey operations, however, he remains Vice Chair of Oilers Entertainment Group.

“I support Bob in the changes he has implemented and I am very excited about the bright future for the Edmonton Oilers, the City of Edmonton and Oilers fans everywhere,” said Kevin Lowe. “It has been an honour to represent the Oilers both on and off the ice, and I look forward to my new role in the organization.”

OEG also announced changes to business operations.

Patrick LaForge has stepped down as President & Chief Operating Officer.

“We thank Patrick for his dedication to the Oilers and Oil Country over the last 15 years. He made a significant mark on the organization and was the driving force behind many successful initiatives,” said Nicholson.

Working closely with Nicholson to continue to grow OEG business will be a trio of senior executives. Stew MacDonald will be responsible for marketing and revenue, Darryl Boessenkool will be responsible for finance and OEG transition business, and Bob Black will continue as Executive Vice President of the Edmonton Arena Corporation, and will also be heading up new business for OEG.

OEG Chairman Daryl Katz said, “I want to thank Kevin, Patrick and Craig for their commitment and contributions to the Oilers over the past many years. No one should question the heart, integrity, dedication or capability of any of these individuals. Each has done great things for the team and our city, but it was simply time for a change. We will honour their contributions and treasure their continued friendship. Once an Oilers, always an Oiler. I also want to commend Bob Nicholson on his leadership and welcome Peter Chiarelli aboard.