GDT: Wings @ Canucks - 7pm - CBC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

GDT: Wings @ Canucks - 7pm - CBC

Post by Cornuck »

This will be interesting. After the two bottom feeders, we face Detroit in the 2nd of a back to back. Detroit also played last night (a shootout win over the Flames). The top 2 Western teams face off at The Garage - I think even Touc will be excited about this one.

Next 5 Games
Tuesday, Jan 11 @ NY Islanders 4:00 PM PT
Thursday, Jan 13 @ NY Rangers 4:00 PM PT
Friday, Jan 14 @ Washington 4:00 PM PT
Sunday, Jan 16 @ Minnesota 3:00 PM PT
Tuesday, Jan 18 @ Colorado 6:00 PM PT

NHL.com Preview

THN.com Tale of the Tape

Canucks.com Game Notes

GO CANUCKS GO!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Wings @ Canucks - 7pm - CBC

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Really big game.

The Canucks are firing on all cylinders at the moment. Hopefully they aren't peaking too early, but you have to think that being so good for so long (1 regulation loss in their last 20!!) that this is a team with a real chance at going deep.

It's 1 vs 2 in the league, so it's a premier game for CBC. The interesting thing is that the Canucks are up 2 points on the Wings, and have a game in hand. So you could certainly call this a four point game. The Canucks are the only team in the league with less than 10 regulation losses.

Detroit is pretty banged up. Datsyuk is out. Brad Stuart broke his jaw last night, out indefinitely. Cleary, Filppula and Modano all out.

Let's hope the Canucks can take this important game at home. Detroit played last night too (barely beating Calgary), and had to travel.

Advantage Canucks.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Wings and Nucks games are usually pretty good overall. I think we might head to extra time and possibly a S/O again.

I'm on the fence but GO CANUCKS GO! :lol:

I'll be in our section cheering tonight
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

I finally get to watch another game. I'm as happy as a little girl with new dancing shoes!! :D
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

I think even Touc will be excited about this one.
You know, I am, but maybe not for the same reason you think. I don't need to see this team measure up, they've shown me all I need to know. I am looking forward to it because last time these two played, it was a great hockey game. Something that there haven't been many of this year. Great displays by our guys? Sure, but that last Red Wing game was just fun, lots of battling, goals, back and forth, etc.
Really big game.
Is it really anything other than a midseason game Island? I mean do we not know this Canucks team is as good or better than anyone else already? What can we learn? I just hope we win and that the game is a good exhibition of two talented, smart teams.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

the toucan kid wrote:
Really big game.
Is it really anything other than a midseason game Island? I mean do we not know this Canucks team is as good or better than anyone else already? What can we learn? I just hope we win and that the game is a good exhibition of two talented, smart teams.
From a standings and points perspective, it isn't such a meaningful game. We'll lose to weaker teams later, as will the Wings. For the fans, a Saturday night, HNIC game featuring the top two teams in the league? I'd say it's a pretty big game...
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

From a standings and points perspective, it isn't such a meaningful game. We'll lose to weaker teams later, as will the Wings. For the fans, a Saturday night, HNIC game featuring the top two teams in the league? I'd say it's a pretty big game...
Fair enough. Great matchup for sure.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Also, it will be interesting to see how the team gets up for the game after playing Calgary and Edmonton, then have a back to back to face the Wings.

It will be a good gauge of their conditioning and hopefully they won't show any "Mental Fragility"™ ;)

3 more hours, and the IPA is flowing - gonna be a good night!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Got to love Red Wings - Canucks games. They make 0-0 look exciting!

I got to admit, it becomes a little challenging to get up for Canucks-Oilers/Flames/Blue Jackets etc. this year. Sure it's fun watching the Canucks dominate but I'd rather them face a real challenge. 4 AM and find it hard to turn off the game and watch it in the morning. The drunken roommates blaring out tunes with the acoustic guitar outside my door might also have something to do with it :|
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Yeah it is fun to play good teams and watched two-way skilled hockey. Shootout was ugly, but they aren't around in the playoffs.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

the toucan kid wrote:Yeah it is fun to play good teams and watched two-way skilled hockey. Shootout was ugly, but they aren't around in the playoffs.
It was a great game to watch (the one in Detroit was better though) and the Canucks seem to be playing playoff hockey now instead of June so that bodes well mentally for them me thinks...
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

All I have to say is Jimmy Howard was worth the wait for the Wings. Although Detroit had some chances on Luongo and that goal scored in regulation by Franzen was a defensive coverage lapse by Hamhuis, Howard was stellar and lucky.

He robbed Daniel twice, and was money in the shootout, although Tamby should have tried the same move he had earlier when he had the breakaway.

Was a great game. Glad to be there in person to watch it.

Always such a great game between these two teams.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Another tie game .. and another shootout loss.. :( Canucks looked good for a win tonight but Howard played great in goal . Too bad Osgood got the groin injury and couldn't play... Think he's easier for the Nucks to beat ! .. Just wondering how good Shneider is in shoot outs ? Luongo is less than 50%.. course if our guys could hit the net it might help ..
Detroit is pretty banged up. Datsyuk is out. Brad Stuart broke his jaw last night, out indefinitely. Cleary, Filppula and Modano all out.
So we are as good as the Detroit team with 5 regulars out :(...
A fine game to watch though.. Canucks outhitting the Wings and getting more takeaways..Enjoyed watching big hits by Edler and Alberts.. Rory played a good game .. Great D by the Wings and Canucks.. last game between them it was all offence . this game more like a playoff game.. Well we still got a point.. still 1st in the NHL and still got a game in hand over most teams .. Not a bad spot to be in at the half way point :)
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice