GDT: Oilers @ Tiger Willliams night tonight :)

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

GDT: Oilers @ Tiger Willliams night tonight :)

Post by Tiger »

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id ... L|VAN|home

Hopefully the team gives the same effort against the Oil.

My favorite memory of the Tiger.. 82 playoff run.. in Chicago the night Towel Power was born ! They'd been royally screwed by the ref's that night. Harry Sinden put up the white towel on a hockey stick.. rest of the team followed his lead.. Tigers next turn on the ice.. On the end of his shift he cruised by the Chicago bench.. stick high causing the whole Chi team to duck under the boards .. 2 min minor :) That series he had 2 game winning goals.. and 53 penalty minutes .. including 4 fights... and we came back to win the series and go onto the Stanley cup finals..

favorite quote is the same I sign with.. originally used by GM of Toronto Maple leaves.. second favorite is in the article.
“If you’re not willing to die to win, i don’t want you on my team.”

Probably the second most entertaining hockey player to play for the Canucks ( Bure' is still #1 ) .. he could do it all and brought 100% to the rink every day he played. I loved seeing him ride his stick the length of the ice after scoring a goal.. the opposition hated it :)
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Re: Tiger Willliams night tonight :)

Post by Badfish »

Wow, getting this in early eh Tiger? I assumed Williams was you're favorite, but a GDT at 1:30am? you really are stoked eh?

Go Nucks Go!
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I wonder if Burrows will ride the stick tonight if he scores??
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Minor point: it was Roger Neilson, not Harry Sinden. Tiger was great.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Madcombinepilot wrote:I wonder if Burrows will ride the stick tonight if he scores??
:lol:

Would be fun to see. I remember when we used to play at Sunset Arena just off Main, as kids we used to do that during public skates... bring our sticks and ride the stick like Tiger.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

LotusBlossom wrote:
Madcombinepilot wrote:I wonder if Burrows will ride the stick tonight if he scores??
:lol:

Would be fun to see. I remember when we used to play at Sunset Arena just off Main, as kids we used to do that during public skates... bring our sticks and ride the stick like Tiger.
Yep would be great to see.. or maybe you can jump the boards.. ride the stick LB :)

Sorry about the Sinden/Neilson mixup Puck .. getting my era's and errors wrong :) Sinden/Bruins/Bobby Orr. My favorite non- Canuck hockey player.
Harry Neale/Neilson/Tiger :)

Yep I am stoked , will be stuck here in Victoria but wearing the "pumpkin" #22 game sweater for tonights game..
Go Canucks ..
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: GDT: Oilers @ Tiger Willliams night tonight :)

Post by Linden Is God »

Here's my Tiger Williams story. While in teacher's college in Buffalo, I arrived to class one to day to find a 1982 Mitchell and Ness #22 Tiger Williams jersey at my desk. A buddy of mine says it's a gift for me. I can't believe it, as the price tag is still on and it says $350 on it. I offer to give my buddy money several times and finally he says "Don't worry about it, it fell off a truck". Obviously this guy is as stereotypical Italian as can be.

So I proudly wear the jersey all day (even though it was damn hot and tight on me). Mike Palmateers nephew happened to be in my class and was chirping me all day about Tiger. Finally I ask him what's his beef? He was a Leaf too and played with his uncle. He goes on to tell me that his uncle keeps in touch with everyone he played with and they are all still close. Tiger being the only exception as they all think he's an asshole. After hearing that, I will always consider Tiger a Canuck and only a Canuck for life.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Linden Is God wrote:Here's my Tiger Williams story. While in teacher's college in Buffalo, I arrived to class one to day to find a 1982 Mitchell and Ness #22 Tiger Williams jersey at my desk. A buddy of mine says it's a gift for me. I can't believe it, as the price tag is still on and it says $350 on it. I offer to give my buddy money several times and finally he says "Don't worry about it, it fell off a truck". Obviously this guy is as stereotypical Italian as can be.

So I proudly wear the jersey all day (even though it was damn hot and tight on me). Mike Palmateers nephew happened to be in my class and was chirping me all day about Tiger. Finally I ask him what's his beef? He was a Leaf too and played with his uncle. He goes on to tell me that his uncle keeps in touch with everyone he played with and they are all still close. Tiger being the only exception as they all think he's an asshole. After hearing that, I will always consider Tiger a Canuck and only a Canuck for life.
Good story ... he was probably the most hated player in the NHL while he played for the Canucks.. supreme agitator and vicious enemy of opposition teams.. Course Toronto hated him.. they lost Tiger and Lanny Mcdonald by trading them away :) just normal Toronto stupidity !! On our part we traded away Rick Vaive and Billy Derlago... seemed bad deal for Vancouver for a while.. but look up the players records .. I forget which other player came our way on the trade but the Tiger has better stats than Vaive and Derlago combined !! Glad to see him being recognized tonight !! PS Linden is God.. if you still got the sweater wear it tonight !
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

LOL...... ok his scoring stats don't measure up to Vaive/Derlago but his PIM is way above them .. but his heart and his toughness took us past the leaves next year to the Stanley Cup final . ( the other player to come to Van on that trade was Jerry Butler.. a fine checking forward ) ...
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Tiger wrote:PS Linden is God.. if you still got the sweater wear it tonight !
I wish I still fight in it, lol.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Tiger wrote:LOL...... ok his scoring stats don't measure up to Vaive/Derlago but his PIM is way above them .. but his heart and his toughness took us past the leaves next year to the Stanley Cup final . ( the other player to come to Van on that trade was Jerry Butler.. a fine checking forward ) ...
I like Tiger, and it his night, but come on. That was up there with the Neeley trade. Vaive and Derlago for (basically) Tiger was a swindle. Vaive got 50+ goals 3 years in a row. He was an elite player. Tiger was an agitator that got 35 goals once before his production fell off a cliff.

We had plenty of toughness in '82. Vaive and Derlago could have helped us win the cup.
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

you know......i dont think we win enough. Sorry to say, i do not have a tiger memory, but ive just read Canucks at Forty, and i got a real taste of what a charicter he was
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

This week, Canucks vs. Alberta 9:2 !!!!! Yeeeeehaw.

Omfg somehow you're losing your enthusiasm when you get older but this team makes me hoping that my dream comes through right now....

ps: I'll be there standing on Granville/Robson corner to cheer :mrgreen:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'