Good Ol' Farhan Lalji is now 30 years old. When did you?...

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

I still feel like I'm 21.

Anyway - I was just curious - at what age did you guys start to feel "old?" (I'm assuming that there are posters on here that are much older than me....like Arachnid for instance? :wink: ).

It just feels weird to know that as an athlete, I would be considered "past my prime" in a lot of sports....such as tennis, soccer, basketball, etc., etc. (although some people argue that an athlete's "prime" years are actually between 28-32).

Although I have changed a bit over the past few years, I still feel pretty much the same way as I did 10 years ago. I don't party anywhere near as much as I used to, but it's out of choice....not because I can't physically "do it" anymore. :look:

Anyway - Was wondering what your thoughts were.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Re: Good Ol' Farhan Lalji is now 30 years old. When did you

Post by LotusBlossom »

Felt older at 25 than I do now at 36. Odd to say, but yeah.

Wow you're a Capricorn too :|
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Now that you mention it, I felt "oldest" at 26. :? I had a lot on my plate at the time and so that might have contributed to it.

30's are the new 20's they say. I'm going to put that to the test. 8-)
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Happy Birthday, man !

I'm 49 and will turn 50 this year. I've felt old when it has taken months and months (and even years) for nagging injuries to heal. But generally I don't feel a lot older (until I look in the mirror)... HA !
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

dr.dork wrote:Happy Birthday, man !

I'm 49 and will turn 50 this year. I've felt old when it has taken months and months (and even years) for nagging injuries to heal. But generally I don't feel a lot older (until I look in the mirror)... HA !
Gotta agree with that - and I just turned 50 last year.

I have a bad knee (dog ran into it!) and a bad wrist (hit by car) - but other than I feel pretty good. I've matured slightly, and realize more and more each year how little I know.

When I was 30 I was running 7 miles a day, got married that year (for the 1st time) and haven't really changed all that much since then.

Happy birthday, and don't look back.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

LOL - you guys are old! What am I complaining about? :wink:

Thanks for the wishes.
Ridleyfan
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Ridleyfan »

I'm 49, turning fifty in June.

I look 35, which is just my eternal baby face finally reaping dividends :D . My body, though, freakin' HURTS. Osteoarthritis, tendinitis, a bad back (never hit a deer, but if you DO, don't be driving a Honda CRX!!!!), and shin splints.

I still play goal four times a week, but the biggest difference between forty and now is that if I play on a Thursday night and then again Friday at noon, I am DEAD. Whatever "still alive" rigor mortis is, that's how I feel. :lol: :lol:

And honestly, my official "I'm OLD!" moment came in the early nineties when I heard a radio ad for a then-unknown Eminem playing 86th Street. When I heard "Eminem" I thought "M + M" and totally believed it was Martha and The Muffins. :oops:
The leaves: Longest running sitcom since Seinfeld.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Happy birthday !

My experience is that it starts downwards with your body as an athlete in the middle of 30, so you have maybe 5 years left. 8-) . The mind is a totally different thing, youn can be 20 forever in your own mind. :lol:
I'm becoming 40 in february... born in the first Canucks NHL season. :rockin:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

I'm 42. I don't feel physically old, but I find that time is starting to fly. For instance, I pretty much lump the 1990s and the 2000s together as one decade. 1996 doesn't feel very long ago and for some reason the two decades don't seem distinct. Weird, I know.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Ridleyfan wrote: I look 35, which is just my eternal baby face finally reaping dividends :D . My body, though, freakin' HURTS. Osteoarthritis, tendinitis, a bad back (never hit a deer, but if you DO, don't be driving a Honda CRX!!!!), and shin splints.

I still play goal four times a week, but the biggest difference between forty and now is that if I play on a Thursday night and then again Friday at noon, I am DEAD. Whatever "still alive" rigor mortis is, that's how I feel. :lol: :lol:
If you look at ironman times (or marathon, whistler gran fondo or grouse grind times) the drop off in cardio (aerobic fitness) is really not very steep. It is steep enough that you probably can't compete for winning the tour de france in your 40s (but you could certainly be in it). And obviously, if the drop off in times are not very high (with age) then these people are recovering relatively quickly (both aerobically and muscularly) in order to get the training in. (Google Jeannie Longo).

On the other hand, baseline fitness in the general population (of couch potatoes) drops off quite quickly with age which really just goes to show that sitting on your duff for 30 years reminiscing about 'dicks on 'dicks and Loverboy and cursing cyclists isn't good for your aerobic fitness.

So Farhan, if you want to be one of the 60-something men or woman doing the grouse grind in 40 minutes flat, then follow the adage "use it or lose it" (which applies to a lot of things). The other thing these 60-something have figured out is the difference between "hurt bad, must stop" and "hurt good, don't be a whiner". After living for the past 12 years with one form of tendonitis or another, I think I am just starting to figure that out (knock on wood).

We'll probably see another 50 year old NHL hockey player before too long. Chelios got pretty close. And of course there was Howe (> 50).
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

well.......considering im 22............................ lol not there yet dude
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

WHEN I TURNED 50 A FEW YEARS AGO, I HAD A FEW MOMENTS WHEN I FELT OLD. WHEN EVERYONE STARTED USING THE INTERNET AND I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW HOW TO TYPE A NUMBER OF YEARS AGO, THE THOUGHT THAT I WAS TOO OLD FOR THIS 'FAD' CROSSED MY MIND.

I MAY NOT LIKE JAY-Z OR KAYNE WEST, BUT I STILL LIKE THE ROXY AND THE ACTION I'M STILL GETTING.

DON'T WORRY FARHAN, HOW OLD YOU FEEL IS BASED ON HOW OLD YOU FEEL. IT'S ALL RELATIVE.

AS KOJAK ONCE SAID, 'WHO LOVES YA BABY?' (NOT THAT MOST OF YOU EVER WATCHED 'KOJACK' DURING THE '70S)

DP
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

DavidPratt_ wrote:
AS KOJAK ONCE SAID, 'WHO LOVES YA BABY?' (NOT THAT MOST OF YOU EVER WATCHED 'KOJACK' DURING THE '70S)

DP
Telly Savalas was awesome! Wow that brought back childhood memories.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Telly Savalas was awesome, and I never saw a minute of the 70s.
SarahJ
AHL Prospect

Post by SarahJ »

Felt old at 25 for sure. It hasn't been so bad since. Going on 27 now. That's life. :D