GDT: Lightening at 'nucks, 7:30 PM, CBC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

GDT: Lightening at 'nucks, 7:30 PM, CBC

Post by dr.dork »

Note the start time, due to the pre-game ceremonies honouring #19, Marcus Naslund. He was a great player for the Canucks, gave it his all, and just like every Captain in team history failed to bring home the big prize. It wasn't for a lack of effort or caring, but somehow he became a lightening rod for fan discontent. And that goes with the territory I suppose. In any case, it is time for forget all that and put his name where it belongs, up in the rafters. (And it shouldn't have to be said but for all you Naslund haters, now is not the time (or the thread) to speak up). It'll be good to see him get a proper appreciation for his efforts.

Oh, and after that there is a hockey game. Lightening vs the Canucks. Stopping Stamkos and that pesky little St. Louis would be a good idea. And don't worry about stopping Vinny he is injured. Lots of Canucks injured too, Raymond, and Erhoff join Salo in the injured ward, while Samuelsson looks like he might return. We can't use injuries as an excuse given Lecavalier is hurt.

The Bolts lost 3-2 in the shootout to the Oil last night, so they're trying to salvage the roadtrip by getting the two points.

And Schneider gets the start in net.

Preview:
http://canucks.nhl.com/club/preview.htm ... me-preview

Go Canucks Go
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: GDT: Lightening at 'nucks, 7:30 PM, CBC

Post by Cornuck »

He deserves the recognition - and I hope be able to watch it.

We're also seeing Ohlund back for the first time since he left.

In the end this should be a decent game, and with luck we'll take advantage of them in the 3rd.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Bret H
MVP
MVP

Post by Bret H »

Arrived in Vancouver without delays. I was soooo worried that flights would be delayed or cancelled and I would miss the whole thing, but now I'm here!

I'm really, really looking forward to this. A well worthy tribute to Naslund, hopefully followed by a wild game with lots of goals. It's OK if Tampa scores a lot as well, as long as Canucks wins. Hope Ohlund have a good game, but not too good.

I expect Rogers Arena to be really loud tonight! Go Canucks go!
Bret H
MVP
MVP

Post by Bret H »

When it comes to sports, the ceremony was the best thing I've ever attended. Awesome! I had chills all the time.

Canucks started good first five minutes or so. Sedin + Burrows created some chances and then scored the goal. After that it was Tampa's game for two periods. Sedins were not good at all until the last ten minutes. Wasted a couple of power plays.

Ballard and Hamhuis had good games, and Kesler (except for the high stick that lead to the winning goal. Good to see Jonas Andersson moved up to play with Kesler and Samuelsson in the third (as he is a Swede..).

When Sedin made it 3-4 I had a deja vu from the game in Tampa ten years ago when Canucks were down 2-4 but scored three times in the final three minutes to win the game. Could it happen again??? Almost seemed to good to be true, but when Ballard made it 4-4 it didn't seem impossible. But in the end it was fair that Tampa won this time. They were the better team I think.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

It seems like you enjoyed the "sweetish" night. 8-)

But it fits perfectly to Nazzy, losing in OT hehehe, nevermind he'll be always one of my favourites...

cheers
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Naslund had some great years, and seems to be a great guy. I'm against retiring the number, because I'm just not sure the career was SPECIAL, but I certainly enjoyed a night to honor a player I liked, and for a time, loved to watch.

Game was kind of entertaining. Can't help but think Kesler gets a little karma for all his dives there, but he doesn't seem eager to stop anyway.