GDT: Canucks @ Buffalo - 4pm - Snet-P

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

GDT: Canucks @ Buffalo - 4pm - Snet-P

Post by Cornuck »

Two teams celebrating 40 years in the league. This is only time we meet up this season. Anyone know if both teams are going vintage?

This is game 4 out of 5 on the road trip, and another case where we might take them too lightly. This will be the return of Torres to Buffalo and fan reaction should be interesting.

Edit: Schneider gets the start

NHL.com Preview

THN.com Tale of the Tape

Canucks.com Game Notes

GO CANUCKS GO!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Buffalo - 4pm - Snet-P

Post by the toucan kid »

Salvaged a point I guess. Not sure why I can't get into the games this season. I guess I'm just in a drowse until April I guess.
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

A far far greater game then the dogs breakfast in toronto. I was embarrassed to be a Canucks fan that night, tonight not so much. Nice action tonight. 8-)
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Slightly concerned about Gillis' two new D-men, although an early season injury can take quite a while to overcome in terms of getting ones game together.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

the toucan kid wrote:Slightly concerned about Gillis' two new D-men, although an early season injury can take quite a while to overcome in terms of getting ones game together.
Our road game should be more worrisome. I guess having the backup get us points on a consistent basis is a good thing, but we need a good home AND road record.

Hamhuis' giveway was atrocious. I gotta believe that's a once in a while brainfart you'd get with any D..... because that's beer league stuff.
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

the toucan kid wrote:Slightly concerned about Gillis' two new D-men, although an early season injury can take quite a while to overcome in terms of getting ones game together.

for one giveaway? Hammer has been solid up until that point, and for Ballard? If you ask me, he's being sat for no reason at all. Rome and AHLberts have been "meh" at best.
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

nucklehead_88 wrote:

for one giveaway? Hammer has been solid up until that point, and for Ballard? If you ask me, he's being sat for no reason at all. Rome and AHLberts have been "meh" at best.

Agreed nuckle88. Hamhuis has been very good. The puck was bouncing a bit and he didn't get good wood on it on the turn-over. Just bad luck.
As for Ballard, I'm surprized that he's sat for so many games. Unless there is an injury, I don't see why he's not back in the line up. Alberts has had games with bad penalties and turn-overs, making him a good candidate for the press box.
I expect to see Ballard back within the next couple of games, maybe in Pittsburgh.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Gave up another almost as bad against Ottawa. I'm not all that worried, I write it off to overcoming an early season injury, but neither has looked too good to me. I have no question they'll be at par by when we need them.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

the toucan kid wrote:

Gave up another almost as bad against Ottawa. I'm not all that worried, I write it off to overcoming an early season injury, but neither has looked too good to me. I have no question they'll be at par by when we need them.
Both were slowed by injury, but haven't been overly impressive either. Time will tell, but I think long term both will be fine.

But that was a brutal giveaway no matter which way you slice it. Puck rolling or not, he gave it right too Myers in front. (What Myers was doing there is perhaps a good question, but it wasn't like he would be hard to miss at 6 foot 13 inches).

As far as the D goes and in terms of defensive errors, Edler has been much better than last year and Bieksa has been better recently. And Rome and Alberts have been very good recently, especially considering their contracts. Rome has been much steadier and his mistakes in hos own end are way down. Alberts too.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

The Canucks got they deserved, one point. That one giveaway in OT doesn't reflect on how solid Hamhuis has been for the Canucks, but unfortunately for him, the bandwagon will be asking him to sit instead of Ballard.

An observation:

Since Cornuck brought up that both teams had their 40th year in the league up, I honestly thought the Sabres would have done something more with their expansion twins, but I was very disappointed they didn't.

If the game was in Vancouver, I am willing to put money that the Canucks organization would have made a bigger deal out of both teams turning 40.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Our road game should be more worrisome. I guess having the backup get us points on a consistent basis is a good thing, but we need a good home AND road record.

Hamhuis' giveway was atrocious. I gotta believe that's a once in a while brainfart you'd get with any D..... because that's beer league stuff.
I forgive him on that giveaway. THe puck was bouncing like crazy, and he batted it away, hopefully to safety. It was an unlucky bounce. Yes, he could have tried to eat the puck, but he was being pressured pretty heavily, and didn't have a good opportunity to bounce the puck towards the boards. Where was his puck-supporting forward is a good question.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

The game was pretty damn fast at that point, buffalo did have a lot of luck going in that game and a good soccer type stop of that pass didn't surprise me. I'm more happy with their effort than being bummed at lossing the point in ot.

Lotus - wouldn't it have been up to the Canucks to help out in that regard; like maybe bring their original uniforms?