GDT: Canucks @ Ottawa - 4:30 - Snet

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

GDT: Canucks @ Ottawa - 4:30 - Snet

Post by Cornuck »

The day was started with a classy move by Canucks brass to cancel the game day skate so that the players could attend the Remembrance Day ceremonies in Ottawa.

We're at game 2 of the 5 game road trip - and need to score our first goal. If we're going to let in 2 a game, we better score 3. Simple math.

Bieksa is out with the flu, so Ballard should be back in the lineup. Statistically, Ottawa matches up pretty good with us (but have won their last 4) - so hopefully we'll see a good close game.

NHL.com Preview

THN.com Tale of the Tape

Canucks.com Game Day Notes

Lest we forget
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Ottawa - 4:30 - Snet

Post by Linden Is God »

I hate the Senaturds.

GO CANUCKS GO!!
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Oh look, Luongo can't find the puck once it hits him again.
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

good game for everyone. even Sammy......Taner Glass just said "....he showed alot of balls" on tv hahahaha :lol: classic
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Great bounce back win. Hope they keep it rolling against the leaves on Saturday. I'm pretty nervous about that game. leaves are on a long losing streak and something has to give. I'd hate to be a fan of the team the leaves end their losing streak against.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

the toucan kid wrote:Oh look, Luongo can't find the puck once it hits him again.
And the question is whether that is an uncorrectable fatal flaw ? The answer is obviously "no". He didn't have a bad game. I didn't see the second goal, but the bobbling the puck syndrome will end eventually.

PS. The Canucks won and will win most games if Lou can let in <= 2.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

dr.dork wrote:I didn't see the second goal
Me either but on the radio they said he had no chance as it was deflected in (either by a stray stick or his own player?).
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Me either but on the radio they said he had no chance as it was deflected in (either by a stray stick or his own player?).
No chance. It was a bad cough up by Hamhuis.
And the question is whether that is an uncorrectable fatal flaw ? The answer is obviously "no". He didn't have a bad game. I didn't see the second goal, but the bobbling the puck syndrome will end eventually.
The answer is not an obvious no. I don't think you're understanding what I'm trying to say though. Basically Luongo will be very capable of having good and great games, as a good goalie he will win many, but over the course of a long season, and with the ability of teams to hone in on a weakness over a playoff series, Luongo's flaws are going to continue to come up and frustrate. I just don't see him with his current skill set as a guy who can have a game like Price had the other night because the D has to keep the traffic and chances to the outside for him to succeed.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

the toucan kid wrote: The answer is not an obvious no. I don't think you're understanding what I'm trying to say though. Basically Luongo will be very capable of having good and great games, as a good goalie he will win many, but over the course of a long season, and with the ability of teams to hone in on a weakness over a playoff series, Luongo's flaws are going to continue to come up and frustrate. I just don't see him with his current skill set as a guy who can have a game like Price had the other night because the D has to keep the traffic and chances to the outside for him to succeed.
Of course he will frustrate (you), because every time we don't win the cup it will be his fault as far as you're concerned. It is a self fulfilling argument given that only one out of thirty teams win a cup.

He is in the middle of the pack (currently) in terms of any reasonable goalie stat. I will say he will end the season in the top 5.

This reminds me a bit of your "Burrows will never score 28 again" and when Burrows started slow last year you were going on about how he will never have a year even close. Then he winds up with 35. Twins, same thing.

Anyway, we will see where he ends up this year, but my guess is it'll be better than you assume.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Of course he will frustrate (you), because every time we don't win the cup it will be his fault as far as you're concerned. It is a self fulfilling argument given that only one out of thirty teams win a cup.

He is in the middle of the pack (currently) in terms of any reasonable goalie stat. I will say he will end the season in the top 5.

This reminds me a bit of your "Burrows will never score 28 again" and when Burrows started slow last year you were going on about how he will never have a year even close. Then he winds up with 35. Twins, same thing.

Anyway, we will see where he ends up this year, but my guess is it'll be better than you assume.
Well okay yes, the object this year is to go for it...

Who cares about the regular season?

The problem is that Luongo is proving to be the same goalie we had last year, and the same goalie who we had the year before. The guy who teams destroy in playoff series because they know exactly how to exploit him. We had past given him the benefit of doubt because of overwork and injury. This year he has not be overworked and has not, as far as I know (aside from the tweak in preseason) been unhealthy. Now he's playing well, and you're right this team is REALLY REALLY good, and will go all through the regular season just fine winning many games, even if Lou is only okay. The problem is that the same OBVIOUS problems that a good, well coached playoff team, of which we will have to face a couple to go deep, will have no trouble noticing and obliterating him because he is so obviously incapable of reacting quick in close.

I separate this from those other instances you draw upon, because this is a guy DECLINING at the other side of his peak, not vying to live up to a fluke or vague potential. There's nothing here to show that Luongo has changed the clear and present and occasionally destructive flaw in his game. We've dominated in the regular season before, we will this year too, but just as the seasons seem to go the same, the playoff results have gone the same to... so what's changed so I can believe Luongo isn't just going to get yanked every other game in the second round?