GDT: Canucks @ Minny - 6pm - Sportsnet One

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

incompletemedia

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Minny - 6pm - Sportsnet One

Post by incompletemedia »

I think they well make an example out of Rypien. The league made it a point before the season to take a stand against any physical interaction with the fans, including squirting them with water. Rypien "pushed" an on ice official and then physically "attacked" a fan in the stands. I really expect the league to go over board and hit him with 20 games or more.

Not that I think it is worth that much, but I just feel like the league is going to use this to set an example.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Yeah Ripper is going to get the book thrown at him.

I think the look on AV's face and a few of his teammates confirm the lingering suspicions that the guy isn't exactly all there... while he may be well liked, remember he had to leave the team for personal issues a couple times now. Maybe in addition to some time off from the suspension some anger management might be a good idea. Which is tough because he's essentially being paid to hit people, which is why respectable industries probably shouldn't pay people to hit others for a living, but I digress...
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Broda wrote:
Cornuck wrote:those Minny fans are something else too
really? How are they possibly any worse than any other team or canucks fans for that matter??? Thats a bullshit excuse. Rypien will likely be suspended indefinitely tomorrow and recieve something like 10-15. He absolutely lost it. Sucker punch, Linesman, needing to be restraint by team mates and touching a fan... I have always been a huge supporter of his, i think he shows a lot more skill at times than a lot of people think. But this was a disgrace, when or if he returns he better have his head on straight. Don't get me wrong though, a clear headed Rypien is very good for this hockey team.

Also i definitely agree that its super early still and burrows isn't in the line up. But some things need to change. I have always been on the AV band wagon. But i have a feeling that if he doesn't get an amazing result this year in the playoffs he might be done ala Ron Wilson in San Jose. But if this early season theme keeps up he could be done sooner.

I really don't think its the end of the world, the canucks have a huge game tomorrow night against the hawks and i think its very possible that they were looking ahead with a "weak" minnesota team in front of them. A team that just got torn apart by their coach. It was expected that they would play a very solid game tonight. Hopefully tomorrow will be a different story.
I like what Rypien did, he's the only Canuck that seemed pissed off and cared. The boys shit the bed and were embarrassed. They can give all of the attention to RR they what, if it takes it off them and their terrible effort then mission accomplished but the team has a lot to answer for imho.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
incompletemedia

Post by incompletemedia »

Rypien suspended indefinitely pending a hearing.
Broda
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Broda »

the toucan kid wrote:I like what Rypien did, he's the only Canuck that seemed pissed off and cared. The boys shit the bed and were embarrassed. They can give all of the attention to RR they what, if it takes it off them and their terrible effort then mission accomplished but the team has a lot to answer for imho.

Thats garbage, so what are you saying any game that a team gets blown out, the team losing should snap and become total morons. As i said before i am a huge Rypien fan. It's frustrating to see this happen, but this is inexcusable. These guys are professionals. It wasn't their night, as i said before it wasn't a game going to be in the canucks favour. Maybe that early goal also made them think they were off the hook. You have bad games. Review the tapes and play better. You don't lose it and let your emotions boil over. This team knows they are better than that and they have to be much better than that if they want a chance to win this season.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

If all the fan did was clap and say something, Rypien deserves whatever the league throws at him. He had no right to go after the fan (assuming that's all the fan did).

He lost it - Momesso style - and it got out of hand. I'll be surprised if it's less than 10 games. And then the team has to decide what to do. We saw what Gillis and AV can do when someone's late for practice - how will they handle one of their own embarrassing the team and league?

Rypien's one of my favourite players, but if he never plays in Vancouver again, I'll understand.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Broda
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Broda »

Cornuck wrote:Rypien's one of my favourite players, but if he never plays in Vancouver again, I'll understand.
couldn't agree more
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

It might be the wise thing to do. It sends a strong and immediate message that the Canucks as an organization will not tolerate that kind of thing. It puts the whole issue on Rypien's plate and distances the club from the event.

Having said that though - inexcusable as it was - he didn't throw a punch. People make mistakes and he was still in the heat of the moment. Does he not deserve a second chance? Like Touc inferred, we pay him to be a loose cannon but somehow we expect his aggression to be controlled like a light switch. How many of you can amp up like Rypien and then cool right down the instant it's over? I know I can't.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Puck wrote:Like Touc inferred, we pay him to be a loose cannon but somehow we expect his aggression to be controlled like a light switch. How many of you can amp up like Rypien and then cool right down the instant it's over? I know I can't.
We also pay him a lot of money to do that. Usually Rypien just fights > wins > moves on. He lost control and has to pay for it.

Edit: Engquist said he is "definitely seeking legal representation. ... I was assaulted, that's just the bottom line." :roll:
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
JCardinal
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JCardinal »

I just watched the video again of the Rypien incident and I didn't notice the first time around but Bieksa was about a millisecond away from jumping right in with Rypien on that fan. The only reason he didn't is Malhotra shoved him back.

Also Henrik tried to calm him down, was patting him on the back and saying something to him and he pushed Henrik away to talk to the ref. Henrik appears to skate away in disgust.

There's a pretty funny article and a link to the video on Deadspin here:
http://deadspin.com/5668835/the-funnies ... fter-a-fan

Some of the comments are hilarious.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Thats garbage, so what are you saying any game that a team gets blown out, the team losing should snap and become total morons. As i said before i am a huge Rypien fan. It's frustrating to see this happen, but this is inexcusable. These guys are professionals. It wasn't their night, as i said before it wasn't a game going to be in the canucks favour. Maybe that early goal also made them think they were off the hook. You have bad games. Review the tapes and play better. You don't lose it and let your emotions boil over. This team knows they are better than that and they have to be much better than that if they want a chance to win this season.
Hey Broda, you got the wrong guy... :lol:
We also pay him a lot of money to do that. Usually Rypien just fights > wins > moves on. He lost control and has to pay for it.
No question, but it is a little queasy to me, always has been, that the NHL allows guys to paid to do nothing other than violent things.