GDT: Canucks host Canes - 6pm - Snet

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

GDT: Canucks host Canes - 6pm - Snet

Post by Cornuck »

Remember the early 6pm start!

The Canes come into town continuing their extended road trip that started in Europe. Here's the scoop from a friend who's a Caniac.
A lock for you guys if we play the way we did last night in Ottawa. Weaknesses: Winning faceoffs - got away with that in Finland against the Wild, won't be so lucky the rest of the way, I'm sure. Work in our own end was putrid. Strengths: Ward is good - made some fantastic saves but needs help in front of him. The Sedins will feast on this unless we adjust. Could come down to Luongo vs. Ward. Given team talent plus passion of the home town fans: Advantage Canucks.
I think the Canucks will continue to play the same style until they get it right, although the need for a full 60 minute effort must have stressed in the locker room. Also, Raymond gets his shot with the Sedins.

NHL.com Preview

Canucks.com Game Notes

GO CANUCKS GO!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks host Canes - 6pm - Snet

Post by jchockey »

I bet Schneider makes his first start with back-to-back MIN/CHI coming up. Fully expecting Luongo to play both games. You can't bench him against Minny because they're a division rival and you benching him against the Hawks is like showing a sign of fear. Plus with Luongo's competitiveness you want him fired up against the Hawks.
dondo
AHL Prospect

Post by dondo »

sadly this is the attitude that gets us into trouble goalie-wise. You don't not start Schneider because he might lose, you challenge him to step it up. If the team takes a loss, then they take a loss. Playing Lu in back to back games is silly, but could be what AV might do, using your logic. Lu isn't playing well and not getting them the wins anyway, so a shake-up should be in the cards. I would have put Schneider in versus the Kings, but now his first chance will probably be versus Minny.

I don't like the idea of putting Schneider in the meat-grinder either and giving him his first start at home in front of a crowd a bit too hungry for a win might be too much for him.
Nucks fan for years a huge fan of that other vancouver hockey squad http://giantshockey.wordpress.com/
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Also, Raymond gets his shot with the Sedins.
Not a good fit at all. Stick him back with Kesler, it will happen. AV is just jumping the gun with the line mix ups as usual. Probably be back to normal by the second period.

I would definitely put Schneider in here, they can't wait too long and reasonably expect a lot out of him.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

dondo wrote:sadly this is the attitude that gets us into trouble goalie-wise. You don't not start Schneider because he might lose, you challenge him to step it up. If the team takes a loss, then they take a loss. Playing Lu in back to back games is silly, but could be what AV might do, using your logic. Lu isn't playing well and not getting them the wins anyway, so a shake-up should be in the cards. I would have put Schneider in versus the Kings, but now his first chance will probably be versus Minny.

I don't like the idea of putting Schneider in the meat-grinder either and giving him his first start at home in front of a crowd a bit too hungry for a win might be too much for him.
You start a goalie knowing that you can win but why wouldn't you put your best goalie out there against must-win teams? Other than his awful five-hole performance against the Kings Lou's played well. If Schneider plays tonight he definitely won't play against the Wild. No way he gets back-to-back starts.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

All I've got to say is that Torres-Malhotra-Sammuelson could be one hell of a third line.

I guess we might just be one top six forward short. But MG has the tools to get one along the way, and if we're going to really go win the thing, then why not pay the cost?

You've got Schroeder, you've got a 1st round pick. Sorry if I'm getting ahead of myself... but when you have a cup contender, the first half of the season almost seems like preseason anyway.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

the toucan kid wrote:All I've got to say is that Torres-Malhotra-Sammuelson could be one hell of a third line.

I guess we might just be one top six forward short.
We're just waiting for Burrows, then all will be right with the universe again.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

THIS is the game we needed tonight - great job by all.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Cornuck wrote:THIS is the game we needed tonight - great job by all.
Yeah yeah Rasputin...
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
dondo
AHL Prospect

Post by dondo »

very nice start by Schneider, helps that the team played the full 60 -- lots of slumps bumped and Schneider's solid 'tending kep them in there until the goals started coming -- they also were recipients of some nice puck luck. Passes threading through legs to the open side. The Canes didn't play that poorly, but the nucks had a great complete game.

After that performance I'd like to see Corey get one of the back-to-back starts.

Good to see Kes, Raymond and Sammuelsson get their goals
Nucks fan for years a huge fan of that other vancouver hockey squad http://giantshockey.wordpress.com/
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

Nice to see Schneider come up big with 32 saves. It'll give the coaches the confidence to play him any time they think Roberto needs a rest.
the toucan kid wrote:
Not a good fit at all. Stick him back with Kesler, it will happen. AV is just jumping the gun with the line mix ups as usual.
The line changes obviously worked very well tonight. For once the Sedins didn't overshadow everyone else. The lines seemed a little more balanced. Especially the 3rd line.
the toucan kid wrote:All I've got to say is that Torres-Malhotra-Sammuelson could be one hell of a third line.
I guess we might just be one top six forward short.
I've got to agree with you here. That could be one of the best 3rd lines in the league. Even when Burrows returns we'll be short a top 6er if we keep Samuelsson on the 3rd line. Hansen and Tambi just don't cut it.
Seeing that we're right up against the cap, a trade for a top 6er would be tough without giving up someone with significant salary like Bieksa.
Chances are that Samuelsson will go back to the 2nd line and Hansen back to the 3rd when Burr comes back.
Tambi will probably be the odd man out.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Nope... I think we're still one guy short. Maybe it will be Hodgson eventually this year.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

the toucan kid wrote:
Nope... I think we're still one guy short. Maybe it will be Hodgson eventually this year.
How do you figure? Until the guys that did pretty well last year prove they CAN'T play that way this year, I think we're looking pretty good when it comes to scoring. Burrows and Samuelsson put up some pretty good stats last year, 1-2 on the team in goals. There probably aren't many guys available that will put up those kind of numbers to allow us to have a potential 30-goal guy on the third line.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

How do you figure? Until the guys that did pretty well last year prove they CAN'T play that way this year, I think we're looking pretty good when it comes to scoring. Burrows and Samuelsson put up some pretty good stats last year, 1-2 on the team in goals. There probably aren't many guys available that will put up those kind of numbers to allow us to have a potential 30-goal guy on the third line.
Just something about Kesler-Raymond-Samuellson doesn't look right. I love Samuellson on the third line, ala Detroit, but not so sure about him. We'll see. Nothing against Burrows, I'm sure he'll fit in, but there might just be one more guy we need.
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

the toucan kid wrote:
Not a good fit at all.
This is exactly the same reaction I had when I heard that AV was going to throw Alex Burrows out there with the twins a couple of years ago, and honestly, I had the same reaction when I heard about MayRay with the Twins. Stranger things have happened. I didn't think this trio had much going until the 3rd period. Anyway, let's hope this works for another half dozen games until Burr returns.