THE TORONTO MAPLE leaves

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

THE TORONTO MAPLE leaves

Post by DavidPratt_ »

WHO IS CLARKE MACARTHUR AND WHY SHOULD WE CARE???
FIRST THINGS FIRST…
MACARTHUR IS A 25 YEAR OLD…FORMER THIRD ROUND DRAFT PICK…WHO SCORED 16 GOALS LAST SEASON FOR BOTH THE BUFFALO SABRES AND THE ATLANTA THRASHERS…
THE THRASHERS WERE SO UNIMPRESSED…THEY WALKED AWAY FROM A ONE YEAR…$2.4 MILLION ARBITRATION AWARD…
AS A RESULT….THIS SUMMER THE BEST MACARTHUR COULD DO WAS TO TAKE A ONE YEAR DEAL FROM THE TORONTO MAPLE leaves FOR A MERE $1.1 MILLION…
HOWEVER LAST NIGHT IN PITTSBURGH…MACARTHUR SCORED 2 GOALS AS THE leaves UPSET THE PENGUINS 4-3…
BECAUSE OF THAT…HE NOW LEADS THE NHL IN GOALS AND TORONTO HAS A PERFECT RECORD OF 3 AND 0…
WHICH GETS US TO THE BIGGER QUESTION…WHY SHOULD WE CARE???
HERE’S WHY:
ANYTHING THAT IS GOOD FOR TORONTO…IS ALWAYS BAD FOR THE REST OF THE COUNTRY…
SADLY WE DO NOT HAVE “NATIONAL MEDIA”…
AND BECAUSE OF THAT WE ARE FORCED TO DINE ON A CONSTANT DIET OF…”TORONTO…TORONTO…TORONTO”…
IT’S WHY THE leaves ARE ON “HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA” EVERY SATURDAY NIGHT…
THIS…DESPITE THE FACT THIS FRANCHISE HAS NOT MADE THE PLAYOFFS IN 6 YEARS…HAS NOT BEEN TO A CUP FINAL IN 43 YEARS…
THE LAST LEAF TO WIN HART TROPHY WAS TED KENNEDY IN 1955…AND NO LEAF HAS EVER WON THE ART ROSS…
BUT THIS SEASON THE leaves HAVE WON THEIR FIRST 3 GAMES…
SO IF A SPACE ALIEN LANDED TODAY IN CANADA…HE OR SHE WOULD BE SAFE TO ASSUME…THERE IS ONLY ONE NHL TEAM IN THIS COUNTRY…
WHAT IS EVEN MORE DIFFICULT TO DIGEST…IS THE REACTION BY GENERAL MANAGER BRIAN BURKE…
AFTER LAST NIGHT GAME…BURKE REFERRED TO HIS TEAMS START AS…”HUGE”…AND…”A MAJOR ACCOMPLISHMENT”…
GRANTED…BY COMPARISON TO THE 1 WIN THE leaves MANAGED IN THEIR FIRST 13 GAMES LAST SEASON…BURKE CERTAINLY HAS REASON TO FEEL RELIVED…
BUT TO USE WORDS SUCH AS “HUGE” AND “MAJOR” AND TO HAVE THAT NONSENSE GO UNCHALLENGED IS COMICAL…
UNFORTUNATELY…UNTIL THINGS GET BACK TO NORMAL…
GET USED TO HEARING THE NAME…”CLARKE MACARTHUR”…

DP
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
Calgary_Canuck
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: THE TORONTO MAPLE leaves

Post by Calgary_Canuck »

This post hurts my eyes. or I should say. THIS POST HURTS MY EYES
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

I find no problems in getting all the coverage I want for my team and not hearing a glut of leaves junk. Get with the times Pratt.
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

Yeah, yeah, you hate Toronto .....

This is a Vancouver Canucks forum. How about commenting on the Canucks?
You claim, to your chagrin, that TO is everywhere and then you just add to it in an inappropriate venue.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

yawn..........I'm so over my Leaf hate.CBC's coverage is mostly irrevalant as sportsnet or Tsn will be broadcasting most of the Canuck games anyways. As for Macarther & the leaves,I'd love to see them achieve great success, as they are now underdogs,and ya always gotta love an overachieving underdog story.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Oh, the irony.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Calgary_Canuck
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Calgary_Canuck »

Coverage....
Try watching a normal (non payper view) Canuck broadcast game in Calgary. Good luck with that one.

All I can say is thank the Gods for the internet.

CBC has always been Leaf focused, cuz ya know they are the centre of the universe.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Biggest market in the country. Can you say it's shocking? Good for Macarthur... he won't lead the league in scoring by November.

I could care less about the leaves, and as others have said CBC's Hockey Night in Canada is a second-tier broadcast. The i-Desk... They pay for these guys?!
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Not a bad signing be Burke, even if he ends up with the same number of goals as last year (16). The thrashers walk away from a $2.5M arbitration award and Burke gets him for $1.1M. Doesn't seem like a bad gamble, and he no doubt really needs to step it up in order to get a larger contract next year.

In other news, Fabian Brunnstrom is on waivers. Life is tough for those poor players that can't crack the top 6 on offence or the top 4 on defence. There isn't anything left other than a few pennies (or $500k) for those poor folks, assuming they get a contract.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

dr.dork wrote: In other news, Fabian Brunnstrom is on waivers. Life is tough for those poor players that can't crack the top 6 on offence or the top 4 on defence. There isn't anything left other than a few pennies (or $500k) for those poor folks, assuming they get a contract.
That is HUGE! A MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT!

:drink:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

In other news, Fabian Brunnstrom is on waivers. Life is tough for those poor players that can't crack the top 6 on offence or the top 4 on defence. There isn't anything left other than a few pennies (or $500k) for those poor folks, assuming they get a contract.
What's the cap hit? We might need a skilled forward...

Too bad the Isles got Grabner.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

the toucan kid wrote:
What's the cap hit? We might need a skilled forward...

Too bad the Isles got Grabner.
Ya, no.

Gee I wonder if he's regretting not signing w/ the Canucks after Nonis got fired now.
Does Brunnstrom count Sedins while trying to sleep?
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Ya, no.

Gee I wonder if he's regretting not signing w/ the Canucks after Nonis got fired now.
He's on a one year 675K deal. We definitely need a skilled forward for a couple months. That's for sure. He might be a pass, I agree, but keep your eyes open for a waiver move.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

the toucan kid wrote:

Ya, no.

He's on a one year 675K deal. We definitely need a skilled forward for a couple months. That's for sure. He might be a pass, I agree, but keep your eyes open for a waiver move.
Pass. For a skilled guy who doesn't do much else he's not worth the headache. I can understand if you're a -15 under Marc Crawford but if you can't score with that skill set then you certainly don't belong in the NHL.

p.s. It's good to be back on these forums. It's been awhile folks, looking forward to talking hockey with y'all.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Brunnstrom was a never was that the media turned into some superstar after he put up a bunch of points in the Swedish equivalent of the AHL. Nonis' plan after the 06/07 season to fix our offence was to sign him and noone else. While I was opposed to it at the time I'm so glad we have Gillis at the helm right now.

As for the leaves, the big reason they've started out well is that they're playing like a team. Their top three lines have great chemistry, and as a result they're completing tape to tape passes for the first time in half a decade. MacArthur is going to cool down, but Grabovski and Kulemin have been just as hot lately, even if they're not showing up on the scoresheet. The leaves are playing like they're having fun because there's no real pressure on their shoulders, the Canucks are playing like the expectations are getting to them. I find teams are at their best when they just hit the ice and play hockey instead of worrying about all the crap off it. Things will even out in time and I have no doubt that the leaves will be a bubble team and the Canucks will be at the top of the league come April. Calgary started 4-0 last year and finished 10th in the West while we started 0-3 and won our division. While I think there's some cause for alarm, it's really not a huge deal at this point in the season.