BMO Redux

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: BMO Redux

Post by Linden Is God »

woodhog wrote:
Linden Is God wrote: As for Hanson, my opinion only, I feel he's useless. I wish the Canucks would have gotten rid of him.

How can you say that a player who is an aggressive forechecker, defensively aware, strong skater and scores 9 goals in 47 games is useless?
I just feel that he's a lot like Richard Park. Does his job but is easily replaceable.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

Tciso wrote:BMo has always reminded me of Cliff Ronning. Both play soft, but both have great vision and hockey sense. And, he seems to be having a great pre-season. Easily the best Canuck on the ice last night outside of Lou and the twins. I would love BMo on our 3rd line, 2nd PP and 1st PK unit. Heck, he can even play with the twins if no-one else fits in until Burrows gets back. I'd rather have him on the team than Hodson playing at 80% with a bulging disk any day.

Leave the grit to guys like Torres and Oreskevich and the defense.

agrees with this
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

I just feel that he's a lot like Richard Park. Does his job but is easily replaceable.
Not even close. We're not watching the same player. Richard Park didn't do his job, even a job.
BMo has always reminded me of Cliff Ronning. Both play soft, but both have great vision and hockey sense. And, he seems to be having a great pre-season.
I'd give Ronning a pretty clear edge, although I'm not sure you were saying they were equally as good. I don't really think Morrison is an especially smart player, he's basically a pretty mediocre player who doesn't do anything too badly and that's if he's healthy.

How quickly we forget his last few years here.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

the toucan kid wrote: How quickly we forget his last few years here.
That's not really a fair comment, imo. Morrison of yesteryear was supposed to be our first or second line center. Having him playing behind Sedin, Kesler and Malhotra gives him a completely different role, limited ice time and expectations.

That being said, I'm not sold on him as a fourth-line center... but he is capable of playing throughout the lineup on any given night. Seeing that AV is a puzzle-master when it comes to creating line combo's, a player of Morrison's capability is an asset. If he's having an off night he'll play 8-10 minutes. If he starts strong and is showing something, you can bet AV will play him 15-17.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Morrison is no superstar but he does bring an invaluable versatility that is not easy to find esp at a low cap hit. We also know he's a standup guy who will fit in well with this group and we shouldn't be too quick to judge his demise here as it was smothered in injuries. Injuries he had no business playing through as it hurt the team.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

That's not really a fair comment, imo. Morrison of yesteryear was supposed to be our first or second line center. Having him playing behind Sedin, Kesler and Malhotra gives him a completely different role, limited ice time and expectations.
Which is not a role he'll do well in. He's not an energy player at all. Perhaps, if we can afford to use him as a thirteenth forward when one of the top nine goes down, but I'm not sure he can be afforded a regular slot.
We also know he's a standup guy who will fit in well with this group and we shouldn't be too quick to judge his demise here as it was smothered in injuries.
Injuries that don't really ever go away, and will always make him a health question mark and a lessened hockey player. He may be a good guy (he certainly seems to be by all accounts), but those dressing rooms were all cancerous and always lacked leadership... even if Morrison was tied to the Linden clique, I'm not sure whether in spite of being a nice man that would make him good for a dressing room. There's always been a certain casualness, even if it is of the amiable sort, to his game and his demeanor.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

the toucan kid wrote:
Not even close. We're not watching the same player. Richard Park didn't do his job, even a job.
Sorry man, I'm just not a fan. I'm sure there are guys on the team you're not a fan of that I like. Aren't you one of the SOB haters?
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Sorry man, I'm just not a fan. I'm sure there are guys on the team you're not a fan of that I like. Aren't you one of the SOB haters?
Not an SOB hater, but I do have guys I don't like. Just don't see the Richard Park thing is all.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

the toucan kid wrote:
BMo has always reminded me of Cliff Ronning. Both play soft, but both have great vision and hockey sense. And, he seems to be having a great pre-season.
I'd give Ronning a pretty clear edge, although I'm not sure you were saying they were equally as good. I don't really think Morrison is an especially smart player, he's basically a pretty mediocre player who doesn't do anything too badly and that's if he's healthy.

How quickly we forget his last few years here.
He played injured for way too many of those games. I don't blame the trainers too much, as BMo tried to under-play his injuries, but when he's healthy, he is quite effective. I think you have him quite underestimated. And, yes, Ronning was the better player overall, but not by a lot.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

the toucan kid wrote:
Not an SOB hater, but I do have guys I don't like. Just don't see the Richard Park thing is all.
Maybe it was a bad example for you.

I feel that he just doesn't contribute enough for my liking. He's expendable in my eyes. Really what's his role? Career 3rd liner with some PK skills? 3rd liner with 2nd liner potential? Will that potential ever be realized? I just think he can be easily replaced.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

I feel that he just doesn't contribute enough for my liking. He's expendable in my eyes. Really what's his role? Career 3rd liner with some PK skills? 3rd liner with 2nd liner potential? Will that potential ever be realized? I just think he can be easily replaced.
Don't think he has any potential beyond what he is: a good aggressive third liner with a little gumption and a little offense that comes cheap and from our own system.
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

Morrison demonstrated last night against San Jose why it might be better to pass on offering him a contract. While he still has the hockey smarts and makes the occasional decent play, as the competition rises to the NHL level, his contribution particularly in the role he is destined to fill as a third or fourth liner, becomes limited. Yesterday he was handled relatively easily by San Jose and as a 35 yr old isn't going to improve as the year goes on.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Linden Is God wrote:
Kind of like someone who idolizes Trevor Linden but hates Shane Doan. :?

Let me guess you love Tony Danza but loathe Clint Eastwood
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Linden Is God wrote:
Hey, when we get some better players, he's absolutely expendable. Right now he is easily one of the top 12 forwards if not one of the top 9. Unless you plan to pull something out of your ass he starts the season here on the 3rd line. I'd like to see a nastier player with similar skills in that spot too but they don't grow on trees.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

I find it humorous how when a player has a wicked game he is lauded yet if he then goes & underperforms he's being run out of town. Players have up & down periods sometimes it comes down to timing as to whether you start in the bigs or on the farm. The media and the fans are very guilty of this...sometimes coaches & GMs as well. You have to look at the big picture here when it comes to handling guys like Morrison or Hodgson.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy