BMO Redux

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Fred
CC Legend

Re: BMO Redux

Post by Fred »

Tends to fall under the Hodgson fiasco. IMO Mo is a great fitcan play any where PK PP and a classy humble guy.But I think he and Scheafer are show casing them selves for teams such as Atlanta or Columbus
cheers
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

It's highly unlikely that Schaefer will make the big team but Morrison has a pretty good shot IMO.
He could easily beat out the likes of Perreault for the 4th line center position and could even make the 3rd line as a winger. He is very versatile. He could fill in on any line as injury insurance. He's good in the circle (over 50% last year) and can play the PK and PP.
The only thing not in his favor is his size and physicality.
One thing's for sure ... if he does make it, he'll probably be the most skilled 4th line center in the league.
Joe Rockhead
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Joe Rockhead »

Yep give BMO and Scheaffer good shots to make the team.

If they go good and make it it could free up others or even themselves to be traded for prospects, draft choices or to fill holes.

If they don't show enough well ....
Don Cherry for P.M.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Linden Is God wrote:I'm a fan of this as long as he's put into a bottom 6 role. He's decent on faceoffs, can play a 2nd PP wave too if needed. <snip> Hank, Kes, Manny and BMo at centre is solid.
I wouldn't mind seeing him back for $1mil for a season, in exactly that role. But, that begs the question of what our 4th line is for. It has typically been an energy/grit/bashing/enforcement line. And, I can't remember ever using those words to describe BMo.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

When Morrison is working hard, he's fine. The problem is when he's floating.... I watched him put in a pretty uninspired performance for Canada at the World Championships one year and it makes me wonder if he's just a little worn out. If BMo is going to be on a 4th line he'd better be hustling.
Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

Puck wrote:When Morrison is working hard, he's fine. The problem is when he's floating.... I watched him put in a pretty uninspired performance for Canada at the World Championships one year and it makes me wonder if he's just a little worn out. If BMo is going to be on a 4th line he'd better be hustling.
Are you sure he wasn't playing hurt at the time? He was bothered by nagging injuries during his iron man streak.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Kel wrote:
Puck wrote:When Morrison is working hard, he's fine. The problem is when he's floating.... I watched him put in a pretty uninspired performance for Canada at the World Championships one year and it makes me wonder if he's just a little worn out. If BMo is going to be on a 4th line he'd better be hustling.
Are you sure he wasn't playing hurt at the time? He was bothered by nagging injuries during his iron man streak.
yeah. he played hurt way too much, and it showed as slow and uninspired play. if he is not 100%, he would have to ride the pine, if he makes the team at all. At 100%, he was great. But, he seemed to only have either 100%, or 10%, and nothing in between.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

Tciso wrote:
Kel wrote:
yeah. he played hurt way too much, and it showed as slow and uninspired play. if he is not 100%, he would have to ride the pine, if he makes the team at all. At 100%, he was great. But, he seemed to only have either 100%, or 10%, and nothing in between.
He's now at a point where if he's not at 100% healthy, he's not likely to be NHL-level performer. So I doubt the coach would let him play hurt any more.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Do you think signing Morrison has maybe prompted Hodgson it's time to get serious ??
cheers
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Fred wrote:Do you think signing Morrison has maybe prompted Hodgson it's time to get serious ??
I don't know why anyone questions Hodgson's motivation. He played hurt last training camp, with an injury that cost him most of the season and STILL isn't right. If playing that injured doesn't indicate the kid is serious I'm not sure what does...
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

When Morrison is working hard, he's fine. The problem is when he's floating.... I watched him put in a pretty uninspired performance for Canada at the World Championships one year and it makes me wonder if he's just a little worn out. If BMo is going to be on a 4th line he'd better be hustling.
A lot of difference between being in good shape and playing 10 minutes or less on a 4th line to playing 20 min or more on the #1 line injured. The guys a good defensive player and got an offensive upside too. To stay in the NHL he has got to hustle every shift - not like the days of the WCE . Given a winger thats hard nosed and the Canucks might end up with a lot more scoring from the 3rd and 4th line.. If he makes the team the Canucks will be stronger down the middle than any Canuck team ever was.. and thats including the 82 and 94 teams.. This takes the heat off MG and AV to hustle Hodgson back into the Canucks line up and if given a bit of AHL experience he'll be a better center when its time to bring him up.
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

The brass has always said the best player will play.

If BMO is better than Perrault and is willing to play for cheap, he'll play. I don't think he's competing with Hodgson for a third line spot. Hodgson won't be wasted at 8 mins/game (4th line center... BMO could kill penalties etc., but I don't think they want Hodgson in a 'niche' role).

Also solves some of the cap issues if he signs cheap. I really can't see Morrison competing with Hodgson for a spot. I think Hodgson is competing with Hansen, Oreskovich, Glass etc. for a winger spot. Malhotra is third line C, Morrison won't be placed on the wing of that line. 4th line or bust for BMO, and Hodgson has to earn a spot on the 3rd line wings.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Island Nucklehead wrote:The brass has always said the best player will play.

If BMO is better than Perrault and is willing to play for cheap, he'll play. I don't think he's competing with Hodgson for a third line spot. Hodgson won't be wasted at 8 mins/game (4th line center... BMO could kill penalties etc., but I don't think they want Hodgson in a 'niche' role).

Also solves some of the cap issues if he signs cheap. I really can't see Morrison competing with Hodgson for a spot. I think Hodgson is competing with Hansen, Oreskovich, Glass etc. for a winger spot. Malhotra is third line C, Morrison won't be placed on the wing of that line. 4th line or bust for BMO, and Hodgson has to earn a spot on the 3rd line wings.
My thoughts exactly. It was mentioned that someone would be happy to see him come back for $1 million. I highly doubt he will sign for that much if he makes the team. I'm thinking no more then $750K
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Malhotra is third line C, Morrison won't be placed on the wing of that line. 4th line or bust for BMO, and Hodgson has to earn a spot on the 3rd line wings.
Gillis has already come out & said one of the reasons they went after Malhotra for the 3rd line C spot is he can ALSO play leftwing and this doesn't mean Hodgson won't land a center position. The beauty of it is they can be changed back & forth as (or if) AV deems appropriate. I can see Hodgson starting out at LW and eventually shifting back to his natural center position either later in the season or by next year.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

From all accounts most are predicting this is the year for the Canucks. If we assume this is the case and from prespective it's looking goodI think Morrisons experience would be preferable to a rookies inexperience. This is it folks, we give it our all this season
cheers