THOSE WERE THE DAYS...

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

THOSE WERE THE DAYS...

Post by DavidPratt_ »

ANYONE EVER THINK BACK...
TO A TIME WHEN EVERYTHING JUST FELT 'RIGHT'...
WHEN YOUR HAIR LOOKED GREAT, THE AIR SMELLED FRESH...
TO QUOTE 'DIRE STRAITS', "MONEY FOR NOTHIN' AND CHICKS FOR FREE'
FOR ME, THAT'S THE 80'S....
EXPO '86, HANGING OUT WITH MIKE RENO FROM 'LOVERBOY', NICK HEBLER FROM THE LIONS, HANGING OUT AT JERICHO BEACH, GOING TO THE SEA FESTIVAL WHEN FUN WAS ALLOWED IN VANCOUVER....
DRIVING MY MR2 ACROSS THE BURRARD STREET BRIDGE WITHOUT BIKE LANES.....
HANGING OUT AT RICHARDS ON RICHARDS, LISTENING TO GOOD MUSIC (NOT JAY-Z OR SOME IDIOT RAPPER).....
SPRINGSTEEN, BRYAN ADAMS, PINK FLOYD.....
AS ARCHIE BUNKER ONCE SANG....'THOSE WERE THE DAYS'....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d8FTPv955I

I KNOW BADFISH WASN'T BORN YET (GOOD THING), BUT WHEN I THINK BACK TO THOSE DAYS I GET KIND OF WISTFUL...

DP
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Re: THOSE WERE THE DAYS...

Post by LotusBlossom »

DavidPratt_ wrote:ANYONE EVER THINK BACK...
TO A TIME WHEN EVERYTHING JUST FELT 'RIGHT'...
WHEN YOUR HAIR LOOKED GREAT, THE AIR SMELLED FRESH...
TO QUOTE 'DIRE STRAITS', "MONEY FOR NOTHIN' AND CHICKS FOR FREE'
FOR ME, THAT'S THE 80'S....
EXPO '86, HANGING OUT WITH MIKE RENO FROM 'LOVERBOY', NICK HEBLER FROM THE LIONS, HANGING OUT AT JERICHO BEACH, GOING TO THE SEA FESTIVAL WHEN FUN WAS ALLOWED IN VANCOUVER....
DRIVING MY MR2 ACROSS THE BURRARD STREET BRIDGE WITHOUT BIKE LANES.....
HANGING OUT AT RICHARDS ON RICHARDS, LISTENING TO GOOD MUSIC (NOT JAY-Z OR SOME IDIOT RAPPER).....
SPRINGSTEEN, BRYAN ADAMS, PINK FLOYD.....
AS ARCHIE BUNKER ONCE SANG....'THOSE WERE THE DAYS'....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d8FTPv955I

I KNOW BADFISH WASN'T BORN YET (GOOD THING), BUT WHEN I THINK BACK TO THOSE DAYS I GET KIND OF WISTFUL...

DP

Not old enough to think 'those were the days', DP but yes, I do miss 'those days' for my generation.

I miss the mid 90s. I was in my 20's.... cheerleading for the best team (and only) on the west coast, traveling all over SE Asia and Europe, hanging with my good friends before people 'grew up' and enjoy youth. It was a time before I knew of internet douche-bags like some un-named idiots that have 'graced us with their presence' over the years. Going to Luvaffair because that was the place to be, dancing and listening to good music. Driving my first sports car with my hair blowing in the wind. No one wore Ed Hardy and wasn't purposely looking to be a douche bag night in and night out.

1) Jay-Z is awesome...but you don't like rap so what would you know.
2) My hair still looks great, and will forever be just so...my condolences to you, hunny, but you can still rock the LP's ;-)
3) No matter how much fun and games were back then, I wouldn't trade it in for the life I have now...I as 'Rod Tidwell' said in Jerry Maguire....I have the KWON. Love, prosperity, family and an ownership on life that I didn't have in my 'hey day'.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

ANYONE HERE HAVE GOOD MEMORIES OF THE '80S OR THE '70S FOR THAT MATTER? OR IS EVERYONE HERE TOO YOUNG TO REMEMBER THE DAYS WHEN NOT EVERYONE WAS POLITICALLY CORRECT....
WHEN THERE WASN'T A MAYOR IN VANCOUVER ENCOURAGING THE ANARCHISTS TO LAUNCH CHAOS ON THEIR BIKES IN THE MIDDLE OF DOWNTOWN VANCOUVER...
WHEN THERE WAS NO AL-QAEDA....
WHEN SPRINGSTEEN WAS KING...SINGING 'GLORY DAYS' BECAUSE WHEN I LOOK BACK THOSE WERE TRULY 'GLORY DAYS'....
INSTEAD OF THAT BIEBER KID THAT BADFISH LISTENS TO....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vQpW9XRiyM

DP

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

DavidPratt_ wrote:ANYONE HERE HAVE GOOD MEMORIES OF THE '80S OR THE '70S FOR THAT MATTER? OR IS EVERYONE HERE TOO YOUNG TO REMEMBER THE DAYS WHEN NOT EVERYONE WAS POLITICALLY CORRECT....
WHEN THERE WASN'T A MAYOR IN VANCOUVER ENCOURAGING THE ANARCHISTS TO LAUNCH CHAOS ON THEIR BIKES IN THE MIDDLE OF DOWNTOWN VANCOUVER...
WHEN SPRINGSTEEN WAS KING...SINGING 'GLORY DAYS' BECAUSE WHEN I LOOK BACK THOSE WERE TRULY 'GLORY DAYS'....

DP
Dave, I actually rather enjoy your posts unlike some of our fellow posters. But what's with the slagging of everyone that is younger than you.

In the 70's I was born and was 5 when 1980 hit. For a good number of us on this board, we're in and around the same age. No I don't know much about hanging out with 80's rock stars, doing a shit ton of blow, getting Mike Reno left-overs and wearing leather pants. It wasn't 'my time'.

However,I do remember Sand Castle competitions, the time when the Abbotsford Airshow was good, a growing city (including surrounding suburbs), places with good live music, etc etc etc.

Sure sometimes I feel the world is too 'politically correct' but at the same time, the city has also progressed.

We all have our 'Glory Days' but why are you so much into living and remembering the past? I know the city and world isn't perfect and as fun as it used to be, but what's wrong with your life now? From what I know, David Pratt has a beautiful home in Yaletown, drives a nice Mercedes Benz and has a pretty damn good gig with Vancouver's Sports Radio station...

I'd say pretty damn good, wouldn't you?
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

The 80's sucked. A decade that gave birth to yuppies and rampant greed. Since that point, nothing culturally significant has occurred - everything is just a rehash of previous decades - made weaker and 'nicer'. Each decade before brought change - then 80's came along turned everyone into empty, self centered consumers.

If you have to look back over 20 years to remember your glory days - you're doing something wrong. But hey - if that's your thing, go for it.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

JUSTINE - URBAN FARE IN YALETOWN BEATS DAVIE GROCERY IN THE WESTEND HANDS DOWN. MERCEDES BEATS MR2 HANDS DOWN. WISH I HAD THE URBAN FARE AND THE MERCEDES IN THE '80S.

DP

LotusBlossom wrote:
DavidPratt_ wrote:ANYONE HERE HAVE GOOD MEMORIES OF THE '80S OR THE '70S FOR THAT MATTER? OR IS EVERYONE HERE TOO YOUNG TO REMEMBER THE DAYS WHEN NOT EVERYONE WAS POLITICALLY CORRECT....

DP
Dave, I actually rather enjoy your posts unlike some of our fellow posters. But what's with the slagging of everyone that is younger than you.

In the 70's I was born and was 5 when 1980 hit. For a good number of us on this board, we're in and around the same age. No I don't know much about hanging out with 80's rock stars, doing a shit ton of blow, getting Mike Reno left-overs and wearing leather pants. It wasn't 'my time'.

However,I do remember Sand Castle competitions, the time when the Abbotsford Airshow was good, a growing city (including surrounding suburbs), places with good live music, etc etc etc.

Sure sometimes I feel the world is too 'politically correct' but at the same time, the city has also progressed.

We all have our 'Glory Days' but why are you so much into living and remembering the past? I know the city and world isn't perfect and as fun as it used to be, but what's wrong with your life now? From what I know, David Pratt has a beautiful home in Yaletown, drives a nice Mercedes Benz and has a pretty damn good gig with Vancouver's Sports Radio station...

I'd say pretty damn good, wouldn't you?

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

YOU'RE OLD. GET OVER IT.
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

OLDER AND SEXIER BUT STILL YEARNING FOR ANOTHER DECADE. ANYONE REMEMBER WATCHING 'MIAMI VICE' (NOT THE CRAP THAT COLIN FARREL AND JAMIE FOXX APPEARED IN A FEW YEARS AGO)?

DP

LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

DavidPratt_ wrote:OLDER AND SEXIER BUT STILL YEARNING FOR ANOTHER DECADE. ANYONE REMEMBER WATCHING 'MIAMI VICE' (NOT THE CRAP THAT COLIN FARREL AND JAMIE FOXX APPEARED IN A FEW YEARS AGO)?

DP
Friday nights...Crockett and Tubbs

Gotta admit, they had such awesome promo shots for an 80's show.
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

Wow, two unprovoked personal attacks? Must have hit a little too close to home last time if you're still thinking about me Dave ;) For the record, I was around in those days, and I still think they sucked. Your hair sucks now and there are bike lanes in your city. The horror. Life moves on, deal with it.

Cornuck captures my sentiments nicely:
The 80's sucked. A decade that gave birth to yuppies and rampant greed.
(...)then 80's came along turned everyone into empty, self centered consumers.

If you have to look back over 20 years to remember your glory days - you're doing something wrong. But hey - if that's your thing, go for it.
I will give you Pink Floyd though. One of the all-time greats that somehow managed to navigate the 80s without totally sucking. Still nothing like the stuff in the 60s and 70s though. THAT I wasn't around for but some of the greatest music of our time came out of those 20 years or so... Springsteen too, and I did get to meet the guys in loverboy once, seemed like nice guys and still put on a good show. Good local boys.

As for being politically correct all the time, who says? It obviously isn't politically correct to try to put dreaded bike lanes in a "progressive" city, look at all the uproar! Say what you want, but expect others to do the same and perhaps not agree with you. Being concious of the environment doesn't make you politically correct, if anything it's the opposite, you're an "outsider".
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

Badfish wrote:Wow, two unprovoked personal attacks? Must have hit a little too close to home last time if you're still thinking about me Dave ;) For the record, I was around in those days, and I still think they sucked. Your hair sucks now and there are bike lanes in your city. The horror. Life moves on, deal with it.

Cornuck captures my sentiments nicely:
The 80's sucked. A decade that gave birth to yuppies and rampant greed.
(...)then 80's came along turned everyone into empty, self centered consumers.

I will give you Pink Floyd though. One of the all-time greats that somehow managed to navigate the 80s without totally sucking. Still nothing like the stuff in the 60s and 70s though. THAT I wasn't around for but some of the greatest music of our time came out of those 20 years or so... Springsteen too, and I did get to meet the guys in loverboy once, seemed like nice guys and still put on a good show. Good local boys.

As for being politically correct all the time, who says? It obviously isn't politically correct to try to put dreaded bike lanes in a "progressive" city, look at all the uproar! Say what you want, but expect others to do the same and perhaps not agree with you. Being concious of the environment doesn't make you politically correct, if anything it's the opposite, you're an "outsider".

80's gave us motley crue too. :twisted:
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Badfish wrote:I will give you Pink Floyd though. One of the all-time greats that somehow managed to navigate the 80s without totally sucking.
Have to agree - I've always like Floyd and I'm taking a trip back in time next month to see Roger Waters re-do 'The Wall'.

Neil Young would also have be in that group that 'navigated the 80s' and kept himself relevant.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Cornuck wrote:
Badfish wrote:I will give you Pink Floyd though. One of the all-time greats that somehow managed to navigate the 80s without totally sucking.
Have to agree - I've always like Floyd and I'm taking a trip back in time next month to see Roger Water's re-do 'The Wall'.

Neil Young would also have be in that group that 'navigated the 80s' and kept himself relevant.
U2 was pretty good back then too, other than that the 80's sucked goats cheese
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

Agreed on Neil and U2, there are definitely always great musicians even when the rest around them are busy"sucking Satan's #$%#" (Any chance to refrence Bill Hicks I jump on)

Cornuck, I am so jealous of you for getting tickets to "The Wall", I hear they sold out in under 10 min! Thats going to be an amazing experience, wish I could afford the scalpers prices! I'm a Syd Barret fan but "Animals" is probably my favorite album of theirs, "The Wall" is up there too.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

You can still get tickets for the Omaha show! :D