Hodgson

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Fred
CC Legend

Hodgson

Post by Fred »

Shhhhshh! Not a word on Hodgson, you hear?

By Gordon McIntyre, The ProvinceAugust 31, 2010 11:06 AMBe the first to post a comment

Vancouver Canucks prospect Cody Hodgson.A group of 23 NHL prospects will gather Wednesday in Toronto to have their photos taken for trading cards and to do interviews, among them Jordan Schroeder of the Canucks and former Giants captain Jon Blum of the Predators.

But another player of note to Canucks fans who will be there is Kyle Beach, the B.C.-raised power forward Mike Gillis passed on when he chose Cody Hodgson with the 10th pick in the 2008 entry draft.

The Chicago Blackhawks took Beach 11th.

This year both will get a chance to make their big clubs.

Hodgson, of course, has been held back by injuries (back, knee), while Beach has had to overcome his own injuries (concussions, sports hernia), Chicago's talented and deep lineup, and immaturity.

Early on it looked like the Canucks got the better player, hands down, but since draft day Hodgson's camp has seemingly grown more and more distant from the Canucks.

Beach, after scoring three goals in four AHL playoff games with the Rockford IceHogs last spring as a call-up from the WHL, was a Hawks black ace during the Canucks second-round NHL playoff series.

Sharing a cab from the Union Centre to downtown Chicago with an IceHog trainer, I asked him about Beach and was told he was nowhere near being in NHL shape, the conversation coming to an abrupt end soon after that when the Rockford staffer realized I was a reporter.

That would indicate the kid who once got pummelled by Milan Lucic for calling him a hunchback still has growing up to do.

We were told Hodgson was mature beyond his years, but the cloak of secrecy that's been thrown over him, with even his junior coach being told not to speak to reporters, has some wondering now if the Canucks really do have the future leader Gillis believes he drafted, or a prima donna in the making.

This season we'll get a good look at whether Gillis was right to take Hodgson, or whether he should have taken Beach.
cheers
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Hodgson

Post by Arbour »

Sharing a cab from the Union Centre to downtown Chicago with an IceHog trainer, I asked him about Beach and was told he was nowhere near being in NHL shape,...
A comment like that and McIntyre is still questioning the selection of Hodgson over Beach? Generally anything after the top five draft picks are a crap shoot, and given the information available about the two players at the time, Gillis would have had to have rocks in his head to pass on Hodgson. Yeah down the road Gillis may have been be wrong, but with hindsight Jaegar and Tkachuk would have been a Canucks instead of Nedved and Antoski.
Last edited by Arbour on Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

I wouldn't worry about Hodgson being excluded from the Upper Deck thing. They did this last year and I think he was in it. PK Subban was excluded this year as well because he was part of it last year.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

If Cody gets over his injury problems and doesn't turn out to be a Primadonna as some media types suggest he may be, he'll be 10 times the player Beach will be.

Beach has a history as a bit of an immature head-case.
Codys reputation is of a mature beyond his years "born leader" type.

Which type of player would you prefer to draft?
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Arbour wrote:
Sharing a cab from the Union Centre to downtown Chicago with an IceHog trainer, I asked him about Beach and was told he was nowhere near being in NHL shape,...
A comment like that and McIntyre is still questioning the selection of Hodgson over Beach? Generally anything after the top five draft picks are a crap shoot, and given the information available about the two players at the time, Gillis would have had to have rocks in his head to pass on Hodgson. Yeah down the road Gillis may have been be wrong, but with hindsight Jaegar and Tkachuk would have been a Canucks instead of Nedved and Antoski.
...or even Primeau (Quinn always wanted that big natural center) and Brodeur?

Hodgson not being in this trading card photo shoot is a non-issue as they don't repeat prospects in consecutive years for something specific like this. More journalists making mountains out of mole hills and trying to sell papers. Total sensationalism.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

It is actually OK as far as I'm concerned that Hodgson has gone from a "can't miss prospect" to someone who is having everything questioned about him. Now he will have to prove it and the pressure is to perform and not to live up to unrealistic expectations.

It is time for him to earn his ice time and if he decides he is too good for that (which I seriously doubt) then have fun riding the pines in Manitoba.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

I think Marty Brodeur was available for that Slegr pick too. Imagine a young Tkachuk, Jagr and Brodeur on that 94 team? :(
Arbour wrote: Yeah down the road Gillis may have been be wrong, but with hindsight Jaegar and Tkachuk would have been a Canucks instead of Nedved and Antoski.
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

ClamRussel wrote:...or even Primeau (Quinn always wanted that big natural center) and Brodeur?
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:I think Marty Brodeur was available for that Slegr pick too. Imagine a young Tkachuk, Jagr and Brodeur on that 94 team? :(
After Nedved, who went 2nd over all, were: 3. Primeau; 4. Ricci; 5. Jagr; 7. Sydor and 8. Hatcher. After Antoski who went 23rd: 19. Tkachuk; 20. Brodeur and 21. Smolinski. After Slegr who went 23rd (2nd round): 34. Weight and 36. Geoff Sanderson. Each year the entry draft is littered with missed opportunities, and the Canucks certainly aren't alone in the "if only" department, so unless Gillis went completely of the map with Hodgson (which he obviously didn't) McIntyre really is spinning a non issue.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Just in case anyone forgets just how good this kid really is, watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6tlvrINhGs

Its easy for last year's injury-plagues season to cloud one's judgment but keep in mind NHL scouts still ranked him the 4th top prospect for THN. He is going to have an awesome career and is still blue chip.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Ah, the Media, what would we do without them.... Who else can make molehills into mountains with such blatant disregard for the truth... Gotta love it.

As for Hodgson, I see no tendencies towards being a premadonna. Who can blame the guy for saying that he was hurt when he was and then not wanting to extend or worsen that injury. AV's treatment like a bull in a China shop didn't really add too much to the situation, but I don't think either are going to hold a grudge. New season new slate. At least that is what I am hoping for.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

That article was down to the EBL level.

Media..
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

After watching that youtube video I didn't see too much wrong with his skating. He looks like he will come as advertised.
bramptonsteve
AHL Prospect

Post by bramptonsteve »

I was suprised to hear Hodgson was coming to the rookie camp and / or tournament.
I was told by someone who knows Cody, that he was not going to rookie camp, but rather, was training in Gary Roberts' house in the Toronto area (with a few other NHL guys too) and wanted to continue with Roberts strengthening his back. And that all going well he was aiming at playing in the minors and working on his back.
Forget about the missing camp bit - the shocker was that he was aiming at playing in the minors rather than the show. This sounds messed up.
Hodgson is a character guy and a silent leader - nobody should question this.
The dog days of summer and the wait until camp seems to have brought the worst out of the incredibly retarded journalists now residing in Vancouver. They're so bad, they could get work here in Toronto.
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

He IS training in ON but I don't believe he's aiming for the Moose: http://communities.canada.com/theprovin ... ament.aspx
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Whether he is healthy or not. He still has to make the team.. Not a shoo - in really. And of course there is a guy from Pitt meadows practicing with prospects and pro's now who can play center :) .. Kind of nice for the Canucks to have choices of good centers . Hopefully Hodgson will be as advertised but its nice to have lots of alternatives..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice