GDT: R2G3 - Canucks host Hawks - 6:30pm - CBC, VS

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: R2G3 - Canucks host Hawks - 6:30pm - CBC, VS

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Two of those goals should not have counted.

How Toews can pitchfork Luongo into the net, and have the guy following him up put the puck in, and then have two hawks push the goalie into the net on a scramble, is beyond me. Obviously Luongo's complaining is catching up to him, but come on. There has to be SOME protection. IMO, the goalie has to be given the opportunity to make a save, and on two occasions tonight, Luongo wasn't given a chance.

The series is far from over... and if I were a betting man I would say the Hawks get called for at least one goalie interference penalty early in the next game.

The Sedins have to be better. They have to find away to fight through some tough checking and score some goals. Luongo has to be the better goalie, this much should be obvious. Niemi was the better keeper tonight, fought through some screens, made some fantastic saves. Luongo made some key saves, but he needs to be better. He needs to be All-World for at least part of this series. The offense is a wash, and the defense easily goes to the Hawks. So Luongo needs to steal a game. Some of those goals were bad rebound control, some were bad luck and obviously he's got to fight through the interference. This isn't a Sedins/Luongo suck rant... it's just fact. Luongo has to steal us a game, and the Sedins have to fight through (not just fight) some frustration.

Tough game to watch... Friday will be make or break for this team.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

At this point - Neimei > Luongo. Otherwise we have this game.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Bret H
MVP
MVP

Post by Bret H »

Robert, did we see the same game? ;-)

I thought Canucks were great/good in the first and the second. Terrible penalty by Burrows to kill the momentum and give up a 3-1, but other than that: so far so good. When they bounced back and scored late in the second and thought they would come out like crazy in the third: home ice, momentum going their way... but what happens...? Nothing. Raymond was good. Edler was good. Sedins were invisible (except Daniel after the whistles ;-) ). Samuelsson too. Canucks didn't create anything that made me think they would actually tie the game. And when Hossa scored the fourth, it seemed like everyone just gave up.

I was really disappointed with the third period. The two first periods I was happy with the effort, even if they were down by one. But the third...

Well, well... a new game tomorrow. We were down 2-1 to the Kings as well.
trouble

Post by trouble »

Team Toughness...

This is something the Canucks are lacking.. I am getting sick and tired talking about this and taking crap from fellow CC members. I think only one other person gets it and it's Clam

AV has got to be the worst Coach... He gets a plan and sticks to it.. He does not adapt to the change in play..

For One Both Seabrock and campbell and playing hurt.. If i was the coach i would go with 3 Offences lines and one crash and burn line.. They need to soften up the BlackHawks D.. But this is something you do over a long series and it pays in the last few games..

This is something the Hawks are doing and AV, does fack all about it

Kesler since getting his big payday is playing like a pussy..What happened to the guy who was a nightmare to play gainst in the Olympics.

Has anyone ever seen Raymond take the puck down the middle of the ice towards the goalie? The guy plays to the outside,, He needs to drive to the net and yes if it's there take out the goalie.. get him off his game... Snow shower. The guys got speed to kill and could give the Hawks d-men fits

Demitra is a huge waste of space. Not sure what AV is thinking here

Play Rypien more. The guy can turn the game in one punch

I could go on and on
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

trouble wrote: AV has got to be the worst Coach... He gets a plan and sticks to it.. He does not adapt to the change in play..
Well I don't really know what you do. Your best players have to be your best players. If the Sedins aren't capable of putting some pucks in the net, and Luongo refuses to control rebounds... we're fucked no matter what.

Hank won the Art Ross and is a finalist for the Lindsay and Hart trophies. He's got two points and is a minus player in this series. Burrows was 10th in league scoring, and has two goals (one an empty netter) all playoffs.

I agree to a degree that AV has to come up with a plan to control the Hawks attacking the net. How to do that without interfering them is beyond me. The refs don't seem to care about protecting the goalie at all, so I would advise someone like Rypien or O'Brien to go a bit mental the first time someone comes after Luongo. Now that might result in a PK... but it's better than watching your whole team unravel and take stupid penalties that don't send any message whatsoever (Burrows on Campbell).

As I mentioned in the other thread. Bernier has four goals, and is playing less than 11 minutes a night. Second on the team in playoff goals, playing the second least amongst forwards who have dressed for every game (Hansen). THAT is something I would look at. If the Sedins can't get things going, they shouldn't play 20+ minutes/night. If Burrows can't get it going, throw Bernier up there, at least give him a shot.

That doesn't mean to say AV is the "worst coach" (which is a ludicrous statement), but he does have some thinking and tinkering to do. All of it is worthless if the Sedins don't come to play and Luongo isn't the better goalie on a more consistent (ie regular) basis.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

trouble wrote:For One Both Seabrock and campbell and playing hurt.. If i was the coach i would go with 3 Offences lines and one crash and burn line.. They need to soften up the BlackHawks D.. But this is something you do over a long series and it pays in the last few games..
This is exactly why, during our Cup run of '94 Quinn used to START Antoski-MacIntyre-Hunter pretty much every single game and almost every period. It may have been close to the only 3 shifts those guys would get in a game but they'd start things off, set the tone, soften up the opposition and then follow that with our scoring lines.

Worked for them, no reason why Rypien-Johnson-Hordichuk couldn't do a similar task for the team. Your job is to go out there and smash the shit out of every Hawk you see in 30 seconds then get the fuck off the ice and wait for the next period. Rinse and repeat.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
trouble

Post by trouble »

Well I don't really know what you do. Your best players have to be your best players. If the Sedins aren't capable of putting some pucks in the net, and Luongo refuses to control rebounds... we're fucked no matter what.

Hank won the Art Ross and is a finalist for the Lindsay and Hart trophies. He's got two points and is a minus player in this series. Burrows was 10th in league scoring, and has two goals (one an empty netter) all playoffs.

I agree to a degree that AV has to come up with a plan to control the Hawks attacking the net. How to do that without interfering them is beyond me. The refs don't seem to care about protecting the goalie at all, so I would advise someone like Rypien or O'Brien to go a bit mental the first time someone comes after Luongo. Now that might result in a PK... but it's better than watching your whole team unravel and take stupid penalties that don't send any message whatsoever (Burrows on Campbell).

As I mentioned in the other thread. Bernier has four goals, and is playing less than 11 minutes a night. Second on the team in playoff goals, playing the second least amongst forwards who have dressed for every game (Hansen). THAT is something I would look at. If the Sedins can't get things going, they shouldn't play 20+ minutes/night. If Burrows can't get it going, throw Bernier up there, at least give him a shot.

That doesn't mean to say AV is the "worst coach" (which is a ludicrous statement), but he does have some thinking and tinkering to do. All of it is worthless if the Sedins don't come to play and Luongo isn't the better goalie on a more consistent (ie regular) basis.
Hank and dank are payed to score goals. Thats it.. They are not their to crash and bang or go toe to toe with other teams players.. We have players to deal with that.. If Hank and dank are having to do this then The guys who are payed to deal with this are not doing their jobs which makes it hard for the sedins to do theirs. When AV wakes up and gets that he needsto get guys out their to have a talk with these Hawks and let them know this is not gonna fly
trouble

Post by trouble »

Another thing i would like to see in game 4 and so fourth.. Is the Canucks D To just hammer the puck from the Point. Salo and Edler have shot that can reach over a 100 MPH

I don't care if there is a Hawk blocking the shot.. Fire it at him.. let me tell you, after you get hit with out of those shots you will be trying to get out of the way of the next one.

Mike Babcock said to Shea Weber during the olympics. Hammer the Puck from the point, they might block it the first time but they won't the next time.

Playoff are a war and you need to treat it like one..
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

trouble wrote:
Hank and dank are payed to score goals. Thats it.. They are not their to crash and bang or go toe to toe with other teams players.. We have players to deal with that.. If Hank and dank are having to do this then The guys who are payed to deal with this are not doing their jobs which makes it hard for the sedins to do theirs. When AV wakes up and gets that he needsto get guys out their to have a talk with these Hawks and let them know this is not gonna fly
If you read my post:
Island Nucklehead wrote: If the Sedins aren't capable of putting some pucks in the net, and Luongo refuses to control rebounds... we're fucked no matter what.
Scoring goals? We agree then! The Sedins have gone up against the top lines/pairings most of the season, with great success. They have to fight through it now, it's nothing AV has to do, they've shown themselves capable now its up to them to continue. Daniel has 0 points in the last two games, Henrik has one point, they're both minus-1 and have combined for only 8 shots. Well you can guess what happens when 2/3 of your top line only gets 4 shots/game...

This is part of the reason Bernier and our physical guys need to show up. Of course Henrik and Daniel shouldn't be counted on to muck it up or crash the net. But the guys they play with (Burrows/Bernier) have to stir the drink, and another (Samuelsson) that needs to find the open ice.

I agree that Rypien/Burrows/O'Brien/Bieksa have been ineffective up to this point. But credit the Hawks for getting under our skin and not allowing us to get under theirs. We need to do a better job of that, but that also includes guys like Daniel not letting it get to them.
trouble

Post by trouble »

Scoring goals? We agree then! The Sedins have gone up against the top lines/pairings most of the season, with great success. They have to fight through it now, it's nothing AV has to do, they've shown themselves capable now its up to them to continue. Daniel has 0 points in the last two games, Henrik has one point, they're both minus-1 and have combined for only 8 shots. Well you can guess what happens when 2/3 of your top line only gets 4 shots/game...

This is part of the reason Bernier and our physical guys need to show up. Of course Henrik and Daniel shouldn't be counted on to muck it up or crash the net. But the guys they play with (Burrows/Bernier) have to stir the drink, and another (Samuelsson) that needs to find the open ice.

I agree that Rypien/Burrows/O'Brien/Bieksa have been ineffective up to this point. But credit the Hawks for getting under our skin and not allowing us to get under theirs. We need to do a better job of that, but that also includes guys like Daniel not letting it get to them.
Tiger made a good point in another thread, Put Hordi on the wing with the Sedins.. Anyone wanna cause some shit he can handle it and can also stand in front on Nemi.. The sedins usually just pass between themselves anyways