GDT: R2G2 - Canucks @ Hawks - 6pm - CBC, VS

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: GDT: R2G2 - Canucks @ Hawks - 6pm - CBC, VS

Post by Tiger »

Hawks played hard.. last 2 periods .. Canucks played " soft ".. Defence made too many mistakes.. Bieksa.. SOB and AA.. Started with Bieksas blind pass .. Chi goal..Blew the game on a PP ... short handed goal.. then another defensive lapse for the 3rd goal.. Canucks looked tired in the 3rd.. Luongo played well.. but needs a bit of help at the back end..

Oh well.. if someone had promised a split on Chi ice before the series started .. I'd of taken it :)
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

Arachnid wrote:
Sid Dithers wrote: No, no, no.
When you lace 'em up, you play to win. If you're going to be pleased with a glass-half-full, you're working with a loser's mentality. Maybe they should have flown home after game 1 and saved the themselves the bother, huh?
Time to start thinking like a winner, 'nid. 8-)
That doesn't compute, you just said a probable 7 but think a split is not copacetic. Well to get sLeven you gotta split sid :drink:
Are you simple or something?

Yes, it's a tight series.

No, you do not accept losing.

You gotta compete like a mutha every night to expect to win a series against a team like Chicago. Thinking it will go 7 and brushing off losses isn't the same thing. It's a race to 4, that's all.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Sid Dithers wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:
Sid Dithers wrote:But that kind of crap doesn't win the series. Too much emotion leads to too little thinking. You can't get even AND win. You gotta choose what you want to do. Canucks look fine.
This isn't a black & white issue Sid; you can play tough and show self-respect w/o the "crap" or "getting even".
I don't see Chicago taking any penalties for making the Canucks their bitches tonight.
There is a grey area here.
I don't see the point to it. The game is won out on the ice. Taking a whack and sucking it up shows a lot of toughness. Sticking the other guy back during a scrum gets you..... what? Sorry, but that stuff breeds penalties, and I'd much rather see the game played 5-on-5 where the Canucks have a better chance. It requires a lot of mental toughness. The knucklehead game just doesn't suit the Canucks well.
I'll tell you the point to it. The Canucks played just how you wanted (like 18 Gandhis out there) and we folded like a cheap tent. The Blackhawks played exactly how Q wanted for the last 50 minutes and they beat us down. There's no doubt in my mind that, for whatever reason, AV was behind this. I think he's still gunshy from LA's PP and his new gameplan is take no retaliatory penalties at all costs...which makes sense except the on-ice performance has taken that philosophy way too far.

Momentum heading into game 3 = Chicago.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

ClamRussel wrote: I'll tell you the point to it. The Canucks played just how you wanted (like 18 Gandhis out there)...
Don't exaggerate to make a point, it only weakens your argument. You can do better than that.

So you can applaud the heavily-laden Euro team the Canucks trotted out this season, but then expect them all to turn into Ted Lindsay come playoff time? Not happening, bud. This team is going to win with brains, not brawn. You should be able to see that. If you want SOB, AA, KB and the other rugged guys taking matters into their own hands...you know how that's going to turn out, don't you? I don't want those guys undermining the effort of the best players' efforts to win this series. I'm going to trust the Sedins to figure out a way to win instead of those other guys using their rather questionable judgement.
ClamRussel wrote:The Blackhawks played exactly how Q wanted for the last 50 minutes and they beat us down. There's no doubt in my mind that, for whatever reason, AV was behind this. I think he's still gunshy from LA's PP and his new gameplan is take no retaliatory penalties at all costs...which makes sense except the on-ice performance has taken that philosophy way too far.
The Hawks kept coming, that's why they won. Shorthanded breakaways and the Chinese fire drill at the end won the game, not facewashes or crosschecks during scrums. Playing hard and playing smart will win the series, hopefully the Canucks got a little reminder of that tonight. And some guys have to be a little better.
ClamRussel wrote:Momentum heading into game 3 = Chicago.
I don't think so. Canucks will get pumped by the home crowd. They'll be just fine.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

You know what fellow Canucks fans? Despite the machismo of the Chickenhawks, Luongo gave the Canucks the chance to win this game. The Canucks had the powerplays to put away the Chickenhawks but they didn't bear down and shoot the puck. Great teams know when to bury the other teams and use the opportunities such as third period powerplays to win. It's one part of the Sedins' game I think they really need to improve on, becoming deadly on the PP. The Canucks haven't learned that valuable lesson and paid for it. Had they done so we would be calling the Chickenhawks an undisciplined bunch of clowns. Their taking cheap shots only pisses Canucks fans off because Vancouver lost. It really had no bearing on the outcome of the game.
Having said that, WTF was Bieksa doing leaving his feet and sliding into the corner of his own zone with less than 2 minutes left in the game? Versteeg, where he was along the boards with the puck was contained and no threat to score until shit for brains launched himself out of the play, gave Versteeg a direct path to the net, then SFB starts running around his own zone and goes out to the point, recklessly dives and again takes himself out of position so Seabrook can make a clear pass to the player Bieksa was originally supposed to cover, Versteeg, who scores. Both Vigneault and Bowness need to come down hard on Bieksa's undisciplined play. Unfortunately for the Canucks, when Bieksa plays well they win and when he plays like he did tonight, they lose. With Mitchell out, any success the Canucks hope to have rests with KB. Makes you want to drink, doesn't it?
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Sid Dithers wrote:
ClamRussel wrote: I'll tell you the point to it. The Canucks played just how you wanted (like 18 Gandhis out there)...
Don't exaggerate to make a point, it only weakens your argument. You can do better than that.
Hardly, hyperbole is actually quite effective Sid.
Sid Dithers wrote:So you can applaud the heavily-laden Euro team the Canucks trotted out this season, but then expect them all to turn into Ted Lindsay come playoff time? Not happening, bud. This team is going to win with brains, not brawn. You should be able to see that. If you want SOB, AA, KB and the other rugged guys taking matters into their own hands...you know how that's going to turn out, don't you?
Now who's exaggerating? I made it quite clear the Blackhawks weren't running around taking penalties and pushing things too far in the minds of the refs. There's no reason the Canucks can't man up and stand up for each other w/o a parade to the penalty box. I wasn't calling for blood, just for them to cease being doormats. The way things have started thus far its clear the Hawks show the boys very little respect. The Canucks can do something about that and still retain discipline.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Sid Dithers wrote:
Arachnid wrote:
Sid Dithers wrote: No, no, no.
When you lace 'em up, you play to win. If you're going to be pleased with a glass-half-full, you're working with a loser's mentality. Maybe they should have flown home after game 1 and saved the themselves the bother, huh?
Time to start thinking like a winner, 'nid. 8-)
That doesn't compute, you just said a probable 7 but think a split is not copacetic. Well to get sLeven you gotta split sid :drink:
Are you simple or something?

Yes, it's a tight series.

No, you do not accept losing.

You gotta compete like a mutha every night to expect to win a series against a team like Chicago. Thinking it will go 7 and brushing off losses isn't the same thing. It's a race to 4, that's all.
If being a better fan than you is simple then it is so Koshugi :drink:

Canucks played their game and had a good chance to win it. Hawks played desperate hockey and won. We didn't lose it, they won it. There was no blow out by them. Now we come back to where we are strong for 2 games and have home ice advantage. Nothing to git yer knickers in a knot there cupcake 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

If anyone believes the Canucks lost this game because they weren't engaging in raw emotional play after the whistle, they are out to lunch. I believe it was Mr. Perfect or Sid who said it, but it's all a matter of perspective. The lack of physical play only irritates fans because the Canucks lost. Despite the fact that the Hawks outplayed the Canucks by a wide margin after the first ten minutes, their undisciplined play nearly cost them the game. Had the Canucks actually capitalized on some of the bad Hawk penalties, they would have won the game (undeservedly). Yet the Canucks powerplay was awful, surrendering the game tying goal and failing to even sustain pressure in the Hawks zone.

Let's not put too much stock in any one game. The only reason this game is disappointing is because of the amazing start. Otherwise, the Canucks had no business being in it without Luongo's heroics. Frankly it's quite silly to suggest that the Hawks rough play had anything to do with this win and I don't see the point in letting it dictate how the Canucks play. Punish them on the powerplay. They were trying to get in Luongo's head, yet he was able to keep his cool and give the Canucks several chances to take this game. I would have liked him to make the save on the tying goal but it wasn't exactly a weak goal and he made a number of spectacular saves. I actually think the Hawks rough play was a detriment to their game.

Story of the game as far as I'm concerned was the poor play of the Sedins. They really were a non-factor, and will need to step it up and take control of the next games. They're entitled to a night off but let's hope they'll show Chicago who the premier forwards are in this series. I think it's pretty obvious that the Hawks and their fans underestimate the Canucks' offense. The Canucks should hit them where it hurts, not with cheap after the whistle scrums. If the Hawks are outhitting the Canucks fine, but the snow showers and goalie interference will only hurt the Hawks in the long run. Letting it get in their heads will only serve the Hawks' aims.

Let's put things in perspective people. The Canucks outplayed the Hawks by a much larger margin in game 1. They're coming out of Chi-town with a split and have claimed home-ice advantage in the series. They played well on the road but as this season has shown, they are much better team at home. If they lay an egg in game 3, I'll be concerned but until that happens, let's just all relax. Chicago is a good team with a virtually identical home record to the Canucks. Now it's the Canucks turn to show how dominant they can be on home ice. I'm confident they can do a better job than the Hawks did in the first two games. Still, this will be a very tough series.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

The lack of physical play only irritates fans because the Canucks lost.
That's often true. In a loss it's that they played with no spice. If they had won, they showed smart discipline. Can't win.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

rockalt wrote:If anyone believes the Canucks lost this game because they weren't engaging in raw emotional play after the whistle, they are out to lunch. I believe it was Mr. Perfect or Sid who said it, but it's all a matter of perspective. The lack of physical play only irritates fans because the Canucks lost. Despite the fact that the Hawks outplayed the Canucks by a wide margin after the first ten minutes, their undisciplined play nearly cost them the game. Had the Canucks actually capitalized on some of the bad Hawk penalties, they would have won the game (undeservedly). Yet the Canucks powerplay was awful, surrendering the game tying goal and failing to even sustain pressure in the Hawks zone.

Let's not put too much stock in any one game. The only reason this game is disappointing is because of the amazing start. Otherwise, the Canucks had no business being in it without Luongo's heroics. Frankly it's quite silly to suggest that the Hawks rough play had anything to do with this win and I don't see the point in letting it dictate how the Canucks play. Punish them on the powerplay. They were trying to get in Luongo's head, yet he was able to keep his cool and give the Canucks several chances to take this game. I would have liked him to make the save on the tying goal but it wasn't exactly a weak goal and he made a number of spectacular saves. I actually think the Hawks rough play was a detriment to their game.

Story of the game as far as I'm concerned was the poor play of the Sedins. They really were a non-factor, and will need to step it up and take control of the next games. They're entitled to a night off but let's hope they'll show Chicago who the premier forwards are in this series. I think it's pretty obvious that the Hawks and their fans underestimate the Canucks' offense. The Canucks should hit them where it hurts, not with cheap after the whistle scrums. If the Hawks are outhitting the Canucks fine, but the snow showers and goalie interference will only hurt the Hawks in the long run. Letting it get in their heads will only serve the Hawks' aims.

Let's put things in perspective people. The Canucks outplayed the Hawks by a much larger margin in game 1. They're coming out of Chi-town with a split and have claimed home-ice advantage in the series. They played well on the road but as this season has shown, they are much better team at home. If they lay an egg in game 3, I'll be concerned but until that happens, let's just all relax. Chicago is a good team with a virtually identical home record to the Canucks. Now it's the Canucks turn to show how dominant they can be on home ice. I'm confident they can do a better job than the Hawks did in the first two games. Still, this will be a very tough series.
Here hear!
:rockin:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

rockalt wrote:If anyone believes the Canucks lost this game because they weren't engaging in raw emotional play after the whistle, they are out to lunch. I believe it was Mr. Perfect or Sid who said it, but it's all a matter of perspective. The lack of physical play only irritates fans because the Canucks lost. Despite the fact that the Hawks outplayed the Canucks by a wide margin after the first ten minutes, their undisciplined play nearly cost them the game. Had the Canucks actually capitalized on some of the bad Hawk penalties, they would have won the game (undeservedly). Yet the Canucks powerplay was awful, surrendering the game tying goal and failing to even sustain pressure in the Hawks zone.

Amen.
The PPs were 6-2 in the Canucks favour. If the PP was on the ball, the Canucks probably steal that game even though they were outplayed by a desperate team. Have to stick to their guns and find a way to win the close games.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Wow, you seem to have it all figured out. Too bad I have such a simplistic & silly viewpoint on the game which depends on whether they win or loose. I merely pointed out one aspect of a complex game that concerned me. I never said it was the reason we lost so please don't be so patronizing. Anyone who believes the physical play will not be a significant factor in this series is leaning a tad too much in the idealistic.
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

ClamRussel wrote:
I'll tell you the point to it. The Canucks played just how you wanted (like 18 Gandhis out there) and we folded like a cheap tent. The Blackhawks played exactly how Q wanted for the last 50 minutes and they beat us down. There's no doubt in my mind that, for whatever reason, AV was behind this.
Clam, in my opinion there's two issues here. Are you playing tough to win between whistles or are you acting tough after whistles? You want both, I and I believe AV yes want only one. It was great coaching to keep the after whistle stuff down, it gave us a was it 7-2 PP advantage? How often is that going to happen on the road?

Chicago wanted it more, and we were content with a split, it's the phscological victory in a series. Add the early lead and the Canucks are feeling pretty good about things. I however wanted more and saw they could have had more but...

They didn't lose because of a lack of after whistle toughness. There's no way Chicago cowers anyway in that game, they needed it and knew it.
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

ClamRussel wrote: Wow, you seem to have it all figured out. Too bad I have such a simplistic & silly viewpoint on the game which depends on whether they win or loose. I merely pointed out one aspect of a complex game that concerned me.
Well I don't think so... I think maybe we've become accustomed to seeing that after whistle stuff is a direct reflection of how bad "a team wants it"

With the way this game is called these days you just can't play into a home teams hand that way. It "almost" worked two games straight.

Hey, we're all on the same team here, and more often than not I read arguments that are about subjective interpretations then anything.

Go Canucks. Take care of business tonight. Please!
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Robert wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:
I'll tell you the point to it. The Canucks played just how you wanted (like 18 Gandhis out there) and we folded like a cheap tent. The Blackhawks played exactly how Q wanted for the last 50 minutes and they beat us down. There's no doubt in my mind that, for whatever reason, AV was behind this.
Clam, in my opinion there's two issues here. Are you playing tough to win between whistles or are you acting tough after whistles? You want both, I and I believe AV yes want only one. It was great coaching to keep the after whistle stuff down, it gave us a was it 7-2 PP advantage? How often is that going to happen on the road?

Chicago wanted it more, and we were content with a split, it's the phscological victory in a series. Add the early lead and the Canucks are feeling pretty good about things. I however wanted more and saw they could have had more but...

They didn't lose because of a lack of after whistle toughness. There's no way Chicago cowers anyway in that game, they needed it and knew it.
Please don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for a goon show...I'm looking for a team that commands enough respect not to be treated like a doormat. The Blackhawks show no respect and believe they can crash the crease free of consequence. How many times has Luongo been run? Even Toews just "accidentally on purpose falls on Lu and there's no call by the refs. Last game TWO Hawks showered his face w/ ice shavings...nothing. Hell now they're even pushing Luongo into the net and the goals are counting.

What Burrows did was flat wrong and most likely cost us the game tonight. I wasn't looking for that kind of stupidity.

Look how Bolland treats Daniel. Its ridiculous. Perhaps the Hawks know just how far to push the envelope w/o getting called....seems whenever Vancouver tries stuff like that they do it wrong and the call.

Ya the PPs were 7-2 last game and there could have been more. Who knows w/ these refs... I'm of the mind that as soon as the whistle goes the play is dead and there should be NO crosschecks, shoves, punches, bodychecks, slashes etc The refs just turn a blind eye to all that crap. What happened tonight? Where was the coaching? Where was the "turning a blind eye"? Where was the restraint?