R1G3 - Canucks @ LA - 7pm - CBC, VS

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Kel
MVP
MVP

Re: R1G3 - Canucks @ LA - 7pm - CBC, VS

Post by Kel »

Sid Dithers wrote:Canucks started out very well, took a 1-0 lead, and then gave up 4 straight. Ballgame. The rest is irrelevant. One thing is clear, the forwards have to win this series; the D can't be trusted and the goalie can't make the big save.
No, I think the forwards have little room to improve, other than better finish, especially 5-on-5. They key is special teams. Get to 80% PK and 20% PP and the job is done. That would involve all of the players, forwards (for intercepting passes and blocking point shots when your goalie is screened), defensemen (for clearing rebounds quickly and tie up the opponents more effectively rather than trying to play goal), goaltender (don't give up juicy rebounds especially when it's headed towards your glove).

Also, there is no room for weak goals like the 4th or even 5th (deflected but it was slow enough for Raycroft to be able to catch it).
Cannie
CC Veteran

Post by Cannie »

ClamRussel wrote:Calling off that goal is INSANE. Since when did the the puck changing direction factor into the equation? I heard Mike Murphy explain the ruling afterwards on CBC....he said there was "intent" on Daniel's part....I don't remember that being part of the rule either? In FACT intentional "redirecting" of the puck is perfectly legal as long as there's no pendulum kicking motion. How do you do this while being pushed from behind and trying to stop to hold your ground. Watching this in slo-mo over & over you can forget this happened in a micro-second; the game is rather fast. Oh, and Murphy has the gall to actually say Daniel flicked his toe and kicked the puck w/ his heel. WTF?!?

Together w/ that "too many men on the ice" call this is blatant bullshit.

That said, the Canucks PK blows, the boys aren't working hard enough, they aren't moving their feet and are making stupid plays just trying to get into the Kings zone. The Kings completely outperformed the Canucks tonight, props to them for their work ethic.

Oh and ya that non-call on Bernier having his stick held in the slot was pretty lame not to be called...that stings because it was a crucial time in the game and was a full on scoring opportunity. How 2 refs miss that is beyond me but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on that one....but w/ all the brutal officiating going on in all series right now it just compounds this crap. There is no excuse for the non-call made by the war-room in TO. Go to Hell Murphy!

Basically, I was just going to post this. Well said, Clam. I refuse to say any more because I'm so furious I can't even spit venom, I'm spent.
:towel: :towel: :towel: GO CANUCKS GO!!! :towel: :towel: :towel:
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Kel wrote:
Sid Dithers wrote:Canucks started out very well, took a 1-0 lead, and then gave up 4 straight. Ballgame. The rest is irrelevant. One thing is clear, the forwards have to win this series; the D can't be trusted and the goalie can't make the big save.
No, I think the forwards have little room to improve, other than better finish, especially 5-on-5. They key is special teams. Get to 80% PK and 20% PP and the job is done. That would involve all of the players, forwards (for intercepting passes and blocking point shots when your goalie is screened), defensemen (for clearing rebounds quickly and tie up the opponents more effectively rather than trying to play goal), goaltender (don't give up juicy rebounds especially when it's headed towards your glove).

Also, there is no room for weak goals like the 4th or even 5th (deflected but it was slow enough for Raycroft to be able to catch it).
They're also going to have to start moving their feet. Those last few penalties were completely the result of laziness and not digging down harder.....ya I'm looking at you Hank & Raymond.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

And one more thing; everyone can forget about the Kings 'being young and just happy to be here'. That's not happening. They are a very active team and play with a lot of jam and enthusiasm. Canucks are having trouble matching those attributes for 60 minutes.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
trouble

Post by trouble »

ClamRussel wrote:Calling off that goal is INSANE. Since when did the the puck changing direction factor into the equation? I heard Mike Murphy explain the ruling afterwards on CBC....he said there was "intent" on Daniel's part....I don't remember that being part of the rule either? In FACT intentional "redirecting" of the puck is perfectly legal as long as there's no pendulum kicking motion. How do you do this while being pushed from behind and trying to stop to hold your ground. Watching this in slo-mo over & over you can forget this happened in a micro-second; the game is rather fast. Oh, and Murphy has the gall to actually say Daniel flicked his toe and kicked the puck w/ his heel. WTF?!?

Together w/ that "too many men on the ice" call this is blatant bullshit.

That said, the Canucks PK blows, the boys aren't working hard enough, they aren't moving their feet and are making stupid plays just trying to get into the Kings zone. The Kings completely outperformed the Canucks tonight, props to them for their work ethic.

Oh and ya that non-call on Bernier having his stick held in the slot was pretty lame not to be called...that stings because it was a crucial time in the game and was a full on scoring opportunity. How 2 refs miss that is beyond me but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on that one....but w/ all the brutal officiating going on in all series right now it just compounds this crap. There is no excuse for the non-call made by the war-room in TO. Go to Hell Murphy!

Great game by Bernier & Samuelsson!!!
Did you hear the part when he was asked if Daniel was looking at the puck and Murphy said no but he think Daniel knew where the puck was.. What is he a facking mind reader now
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

trouble wrote:Did you hear the part when he was asked if Daniel was looking at the puck and Murphy said no but he think Daniel knew where the puck was.. What is he a facking mind reader now
Ya I heard that, Gillis should be addressing this crap w/ the league now before its too late. Murphy should be fired over this call. That statement was right around the part where he was talking about how Daniel flicked his toe towards the puck.

Hrudey also was talking about Daniel's "intent"

Since when was intent part of the rule?!? As far as I know its OK to intend to redirect the puck as long as there's no obvious kicking motion (for SAFETY reasons). Was Daniel's attempt to stop/redirect the puck dangerous in any way? Was the fact he was being PUSHED from behind by O' Donnell even taken into account???
Ridleyfan
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Ridleyfan »

Not the impact of the Brett Hull toe in the crease, but identical in that the NHL just makes shit up to suit the agenda.
The spin does not match the rule AT ALL! That was a Murphy love-in assist to his former club, because nothing else he says makes one iota of sense.

I honestly would have been just as dumbfounded (but waaaaaaaaaaay less angry :lol: ) had it been a Kings player who scored onlt to have it disallowed by, say, Kay Whitmore.
LA deserved the win, but that call should see Murphy's removal from his position. Utter, total, indefensible horseshit.
The leaves: Longest running sitcom since Seinfeld.
trouble

Post by trouble »

Ridleyfan wrote:Not the impact of the Brett Hull toe in the crease, but identical in that the NHL just makes shit up to suit the agenda.
The spin does not match the rule AT ALL! That was a Murphy love-in assist to his former club, because nothing else he says makes one iota of sense.

I honestly would have been just as dumbfounded (but waaaaaaaaaaay less angry :lol: ) had it been a Kings player who scored onlt to have it disallowed by, say, Kay Whitmore.
LA deserved the win, but that call should see Murphy's removal from his position. Utter, total, indefensible horseshit.
Agree 100% on Murphy should be Canned over this..

I have been flicking around on the sports channels and have not found one guy who thinks thats was a no goal. Even Marty Mcsorly who was a kings player thinks it's a goal..

How will the NHL react to this. My bet is they will do what they always do. Brush it under the rug and warn the Canucks management and player to shut the fack up.

I really hope the Canucks don't listen to the NHL and make a HUGE stink. Lets get to the bottom of this now.. If i was Gillis i would be on a plane to New York and facking raise hell
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

So frustrating, i don't like to write anything except it needs 4 wins...
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Agree 100% on Murphy should be Canned over this..
:roll:

If he was going to get fired for blowing a call that everyone seemed to agree was made incorrectly, he would have been canned years ago.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Next game. It's done and over with. Stew all we want but there isn't anything we as a fan base do about it.

With exception of most of us here, let's face it, Vancouver has a good number of idiot fans that don't know a thing about hockey.

Definitely an incorrect call on Murphy's end but there isn't anything to go back and change that.

Next! Split the series is what they can hope for now and bring it home.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Dunno.. ref and goaltending and PK all the same.. bloody brutal. Not much AV can do with both Johnson and Mitchell out except ream a few butts .. Hard to change goaltenders at this stage.. even if Lou hasn't had a great game for a month :(... Some days its shyte to be a Canucks fan.. today is one of them .
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Tiger wrote:Dunno.. ref and goaltending and PK all the same.. bloody brutal. Not much AV can do with both Johnson and Mitchell out except ream a few butts .. Hard to change goaltenders at this stage.. even if Lou hasn't had a great game for a month :(... Some days its shyte to be a Canucks fan.. today is one of them .
Even mentioning changing goaltenders at any stage is ridiculous.

I've gotta admit, I never once thought we'd miss Johnson and Mitchell as much as we have.
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

Johnson, no kidding. It looked like El Eh had five Johnson's at once on the ice last night. Did you see the replay of the Smyth goal? I heard today it went through Ehroff's skate.. right through it! Is that why it looked like the puck did something funny on it's way to the net? Strange
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Ya it actually plowed through the back of the skate/tendon cover....very strange. CBC had a nice close up and the back of his skate warbled and the puck knuckle balled into the top corner. Never seen anything quite like it.