GDT: R1G1 - Canucks host Kings - 7pm - CBC, VS

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

the toucan kid
CC Legend

Re: GDT: R1G1 - Canucks host Kings - 7pm - CBC, VS

Post by the toucan kid »

It's a good thing we aren't refs...
This is true, but remember it when we're in LA...
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

That's probably enough to win the series, frankly. Although it won't end quickly.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Yeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw what a relief....
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Detroit Rock City cast-off....WootWoot!

Oh yeah...team Viking too :lol:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Great game that could lead into a good series.

Edler - welcome back.

Sedins - you can't stop them, you can only hope to contain them.

Luongo - I've never seen a goalie get his stick caught in his skate - let alone make a goal line save.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
trouble

Post by trouble »

Ok i have bashed Edler on more then one occasion.. But tonight was his coming out party.. The guy was possesed.. Great to see. Hope he keeps playing like that..

Ehrhoff for most of the game looked like he was back in SJ. Great in the regular season but lost in the playoffs.

Samuelsson... The guy is cluch.. Now you can see why MG went out and got him.. The guy is a playoff Warrier.. Detroit is gonna miss this guy during the playoff

What an amazing game...By both teams.. Quick played a great game and kept LA in the game.. What can you say about that save by Lou..

LA was having a tough time playing 5 on 5 tonight...Good thing they have a good PP. The Canucks forchecking and defencemen pinching was really hemming them in.

15 more wins
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

holy crap edler!!!!!!!!! where the hell has that been the last while? still not convinced that it wasnt a one time thing for edler but heres hopin! Sammy with a big game like we know he plays in the playoffs....great game to watch overall
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

There was an injury so that is why there was the major
he sold the injury. if he was really hurt, he prolly would have missed a shift or 2...

oops... not hurt that bad..
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

the 2nd goal was all SOB chasing the puck instead of putting his body on Dustin Brown when he had the chance.

it's always SOB.
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
patriksunstrom
AHL Prospect

Post by patriksunstrom »

my random thoughts on the game:

• Caught the end of the Caps / Habs game. I guess Ovie is Russian for “laid an egg”

• Anze Kopitar – aka “the only professional athlete in LA not named Sam Cassell to not have groupies”

• I hereby name thee, Michael “No” Handzus

• Wayne Simmonds or Joel Ward for the least black guy name on a black guy?

• Kings hilights from the 1st limited to the following: Quick and a pretty nice toedrag by Freddy Modin

7:06 – We need a ESPN show called “Chirping” that chronicles every whistle and the pleasantries are exchanged between whistles. Either that or we need the lip reading chick from Seinfeld doing color instead of Craig Simpson.

7:08 – apparently Terry Murray is rolling the D-lines against the twins. That’s sort of like going to a university houseparty with your buddies and you find out the girls have been drinking for 2 hours already.

7:10 - ..and only 10-minutes in, we have the obligatory “guy on a cell phone who wants to wave to his buddies watching the game on TV”. Sit down.

7:34 – Samuelsson flattens Jack Johnson, anointing the new nickname “Banana Pancakes”

8:02 – and Steve Bernier is on the PP because………..

8:07 – Hank gets impaled by Kopitar. Apparently if you are able to skewer the quarter inch space in between the bucket and the visor without touching the face, it’s technically not a penalty.

8:08 - Kings have been doing their video homework; watching “how NOT to deal with the green guys by Nashville”

8:12 – You know why I like Canucks PP unit #1? Because it’s how I would play it were a video game. Take the 5 guys with the highest (offensive) skill rating and put them on. That puts Demitra on the point and “shoot from every angle” Samuelsson on with the twins and Salo. Know why I hate PP2? Steve Bernier.

8:15 – thanks to Craig Simpson for reminding viewers that “this faceoff is a good opportunity for both teams to win possession”

8:20 – Sedin scores from Sedin. Any other pairing in the NHL and it’s the lead story and immediate highlight of the year. Fantastic regroup and goal on the rush.

8:28 – LA scores. Modin from Frolov and Bilbo Baggins

8:31 – Simpson: “He didn’t feel it until it hit his pad”

8:32 – Bieksa: the guy who glares at every dude at the bar who isn’t with his crew

8:34 – Reason #502 why playoff hockey is so great – every whistle is like a game of NHL ’93 with both teams button mashing the hit button.

8:41 – When Scott Oake retires he will patent the “Stare at a spot on the guys face and nod” move during intermission interviews.

8:44 – congratulations to Enterprise rent a car, the NHL’s newest sponsor. Congratulations to Enterprise rent a car for not running a new spot for 3 years now! How did they save money for the rights fee? Not doing a new commercial for 3 years, that’s how! Between Subway and Enterprise rent a car, not sure which commercial will vie for boycott-waiting-to-happen-for-2010

8:49 – Brian Murray interview from Ottawa (in Pitt). One of the few coaches in the NHL that doesn’t require a whistle since he swallowed that one in 1964.

8:58 – Brad Richardson joins Joe Sacco All Stars along with late inductee Paul Ysebeart

9:02 – this just in. its reported that the NHL has mandated Anze to wear a tinted shield during games shot in HD

9:07 – Wait a minute. Ryan Smyth is playing? Shouldn’t he be at the World Championships?

9:17 – Edler almost ENDS Doughty. Brilliant, potentially game changing, momentum building hit. Reminds me; Edler AND Samuelsson don’t crack the Swedish Olympic team? Team Sweden apparently favours D-men who have North American sounding names – (David) Jonny Oduya and Douglas Murray

9:22 – Doughty can captain the “tongues out All Stars”. Other guys in the organization are Chris Pronger, Alex Kovalev, Janne Niinimaa, Alex Ovechkin, and Hall of Famer Greg Hawgood.

9:23 – what other types of “Overtime” are there in hockey? Why must we always say Sudden Death?s that a marketing scheme? Isn’t that the rule, rather than the exception? What other sports use a non-sudden death overtime? Lacrosse? Basketball?

9:50 – Matt Greene puts the paddle down while looking like a young James Woods.

9:52 – Quick with an amazing save on Hank. This kid is legit.

9:54 – Luongo with an equally impressive desperation save. Degree of difficulty gets +3.0 with a goalie paddle looped under his toe strap. He calls this one the Backscratcher.

9:57 – Shane O’Brien looking to draw an icing by taking the long route back to the puck. Oh never mind, he’s going full speed.

9:59 – Hank to Samuelsson. Game over.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Welcome to the site patriksunstrom, possibly the best 1st post in the history of CC.

Some great points, and I was wondering about "Apparently if you are able to skewer the quarter inch space in between the bucket and the visor without touching the face, it’s technically not a penalty." :D
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

patriksunstrom wins the award for most entertaining read of the night
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

Nice... Great read...
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Cornuck wrote:Welcome to the site patriksunstrom, possibly the best 1st post in the history of CC.

Some great points, and I was wondering about "Apparently if you are able to skewer the quarter inch space in between the bucket and the visor without touching the face, it’s technically not a penalty." :D
lol agreed, no Yan Martel presssure on post #2 though after Game 2 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

Jelly wrote:the 2nd goal was all SOB chasing the puck instead of putting his body on Dustin Brown when he had the chance.

it's always SOB.
If you prefer AA over SOB, I am just glad that you're not the coach. Yes, SOB was a little slow on that play but you can't blame him for not putting his body on Dustin Brown. In fact the reason Brown got free to make the pass was because SOB tried to throw a bodycheck on Brown, who avoided the check by a quick move. Generally, you don't throw your body around and risk taking yourself out of position when your team is already one man short.