VANCOUVER CANUCKS VS LOS ANGELES KINGS ROUND 1

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Kel
MVP
MVP

Re: VANCOUVER CANUCKS VS LOS ANGELES KINGS ROUND 1

Post by Kel »

Farhan Lalji wrote:
Kel wrote:I think we're going to know more about the series after game 1. Luongo shows up for the big games generally, and he's eager to redeem himself after the recent struggle.
Agreed, but there are a few things that concern me:

1) The 6th game against Chicago last year. Yes - the team defense was ATROCIOUS in that particular game, but a superstar goalie should be capable of bailing them out atleast some of the time. In game 6 last year, Luongo was burned on all chances.

2) The Olympics: Although many people are labelling Luongo as "proven" now that he's won Gold, the fact of the matter is that Luongo didn't have to do all that much.....since the team in front of him was so superb (i.e. similar to Brodeur and Canada's team in 02'). While Luongo wasn't terrible during the Olympics, he was not stellar either. Again Slovakia, Luongo let in a brutal goal when Canada was leading 3-0.....and this almost helped precipitate a Slovakian comeback. Also - that last "save" on Demitra wasn't even a save....it had more to do with Demitra missing the net. In the Gold Medal game, Luongo did not look particularly brilliant on that 1st goal, while he gave up the 2nd goal to Parise in the last minute.

Long story short: Luongo still needs to prove himself as a superstar clutch goalie come playoff time. He did it against Dallas back in 07', but hasn't done it on a consistent basis since then. Hopefully, this will be the year where he silences the naysayers.
Understandably you are concerned, and I think that's why everyone is us isn't as confident as, say, last year. On point 1) Chicago got lucky on a few of the 7 goals, and Luongo probably made great saves that were forgotten because of the goals scored against. On point 2), The Demitra one was a definite save as shown by replays and frame-by-frame captures, plus Luongo and Demitra both confirmed that. In the Gold Medal game, nobody realized Luongo made a critical save right before Crosby scored. Niedermayer turned over the puck to Pavelski in the defensive zone and Pavelski was allowed to take a shot in a great scoring area. It was a more dangerous shot than the one Crosby scored against Miller, farther away but heading towards the top corner and more unexpected because of the turnover. On the 1st goal, it was tip play that happened so fast one has to look at the replay to realize Kesler made a great tip. On the 2nd goal, the initial shot was deflected by a skate and changed direction completely, Luongo still made the save and Parise scored on the rebound because nobody checked him and he was allowed to skate across right in front of the crease. Again, you have to look at the replay in slow motion to realize how much the initial shot was deflected. I know he didn't catch the puck clean right before this scoring play when the puck was shot from the blue line, yet he probably would have covered up the rebound if his D didn't clear it away so fast (and give the puck away to the Americans). And Miller was allowed the hook for giving up a bad goal in OT because he doesn't play for Canada.

Luongo set the bar so high that people are disappointed if he's not perfect. But he said he enjoyed the pressure so let's see how he responds starting Thursday. He has some luxury this playoffs because his team can score more, but hopefully he won't need that.
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

skipped a few posts..

but there is absolutely no way Willie's skipping out on the team because he's afraid of being re-injured

unless he's been portraying an image the past couple years, and lied to us about being from BC and loves BC.
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Jelly wrote: unless he's been portraying an image the past couple years, and lied to us about being from BC and loves BC.
He played for Minnesota :evil:
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

Heading to the land of no internet, but shaw Direct fills the air. 8-)

Good luck to us game one!
HockeyGirl
CC Veteran

Post by HockeyGirl »

I will be at all the games at Staples Center. It's "BACK IN BLACK" this year so we will be having a black out and I think that might be the thing that tips this series our way. Seriously, King fans are so intense it's crazy! Jase and I can name all of the King captains going back to Gretsky!
"Once an idiot conspiracy theorist, always an idiot conspiracy theorist."

Clam Russel
Killer

Post by Killer »

HockeyGirl wrote:I will be at all the games at Staples Center. It's "BACK IN BLACK" this year so we will be having a black out and I think that might be the thing that tips this series our way. Seriously, King fans are so intense it's crazy! Jase and I can name all of the King captains going back to Gretsky!
I thought you didn't like black?
HockeyGirl
CC Veteran

Post by HockeyGirl »

Killer wrote:
HockeyGirl wrote:I will be at all the games at Staples Center. It's "BACK IN BLACK" this year so we will be having a black out and I think that might be the thing that tips this series our way. Seriously, King fans are so intense it's crazy! Jase and I can name all of the King captains going back to Gretsky!
I thought you didn't like black?
I can wear colorful outfits even at my age. Black is for the chubby girls!

Clam Russel
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Sorry HG Trix is for kids and we have an amazing tough as bullets in a blue sky American on our team to tip the scale over LA...Ryan Kesler...you might have heard of him 8-)

I Think Queens in Tree has been outside breathing in that smog too much today...easy there cupcake :drink:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Kings in 3 wrote:
Arachnid wrote:
Sorry HG Trix is for kids and we have an amazing tough as bullets in a blue sky American on our team to tip the scale over LA...Ryan Kesler...you might have heard of him 8-)

I Think Queens in Tree has been outside breathing in that smog too much today...easy there cupcake :drink:
heh

...and before I get accused of trolling, the Mods need to take a look at the quoted post and see the insult that may have started it all. "Queens in Tree"? What are you, 6 years old?

6? try 12! and I'm smarta than you! My Momma told me to stay away from men like your kind

Happy Earthquake day Ellery Queen! The Canucks gonna rock your world!

Canna take a little playoff rubbing? Geesh wotta wimp, hope your team is a wee bit tougher
HockeyGirl
CC Veteran

Post by HockeyGirl »

Arachnid wrote:

6? try 12! and I'm smarta than you! My Momma told me to stay away from men like your kind

Canna take a little playoff rubbing? Geesh wotta wimp, hope your team is a wee bit tougher
Wow, is this the way you guys "bring it"? Cause that's some weak stuff. I might have Jase sign up, then the beat down will begin.

Clam Russel
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

As a mod, I'll say keep it clean, don't be a dick and stick around - it could be a long series...

We like to have a good conversation here, and as a Kings fan, you'll need to expect some trash talk. But if it gets out of hand, people will be warned, then booted.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
HockeyGirl
CC Veteran

Post by HockeyGirl »

Cornuck wrote:As a mod, I'll say keep it clean, don't be a dick and stick around - it could be a long series...

We like to have a good conversation here, and as a Kings fan, you'll need to expect some trash talk. But if it gets out of hand, people will be warned, then booted.

Hey, "the Kings are Queens" in your signature? That's sort of homophobic, eh?

Clam Russel
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

HockeyGirl wrote:
Arachnid wrote:

Wow, is this the way you guys "bring it"? Cause that's some weak stuff. I might have Jase sign up, then the beat down will begin.
Just get'n started darl'n, just get'n started :mex:

Wait til Thursday night and the micro-brew kicks in WoopWoop! :drink:
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

HockeyGirl wrote:
Cornuck wrote:As a mod, I'll say keep it clean, don't be a dick and stick around - it could be a long series...

Hey, "the Kings are Queens" in your signature? That's sort of homophobic, eh?
Oh geez...don't go there HG trust me... 8-)
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I've been calling them the Queens since Marcel Dionne flipped me off back in the 82 playoffs. It's tradition. :D
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."