Is there anything better?!?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Is there anything better?!?

Postby nucklehead_88 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:58 pm

Farhan Lalji wrote:Pardon my French, but the Flames now have 1st have hand experience as to what Boston's cock tastes like.

:lol: i seriously cant get enough of them losing
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby DonCherry4PM » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:44 pm

BingoTough wrote:How delicious. Flames lose 5-0

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=315699

Thanks for the VERY entertaining read. Looks like a complete blow-up of the current team is the consensus. I hate to glory in someone else's misery, but it's the flames - I can't help it. :twisted:
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Postby Ridleyfan » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:18 pm

HAHAHAHA!

I've utterly hated the Flames since Peplinski provided "colour" commentary his first year retired, and CBC gave him a Flames-Canucks PLAYOFF SERIES to cover. It was BRUTAL. A Flames PLAYER and fucking Don Wittman !!! Anyone else remenber that?

Peplinski came back the next season.
The Leafs: Longest running sitcom since Seinfeld.
Ridleyfan
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Robert » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:19 pm

don witless wittman was the worst ever. GAwd I hated him.
Robert
MVP
MVP

Postby Sid Dithers » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:02 pm

My biggest laugh in the Flames downfall is Brent Sutter. He left a very stable New Jersey situation after one year (thanks for coming!). Sure he left to be close to home and because he remains close to the Red Deer Rebels (which he owns), but still, if his commitment to NJ wasn't any better than that, he deserves to be in the middle of fallout that the Flames face at the end of the year here. Serves him right. Too much arrogance there.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Arachnid » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:34 am

Hmmmm Flamers might still make the playoffs...looks like someone pissed off the Hockey Gods ® :evil:

Personally, I want all the Canadaian teams in the post-season, then we can go watch the Canucks destroy them in their own arena :mrgreen:

Don't understand this 'Hate' for other teams and their fans. Flames have a Cup, we don't. I think we should be a little more humble in our cockiness don't you?

Otherwise...we are just Leaf fans :look:
There is no such thing as climate change...there is no such thing as climate change...there is such thing as climate change...
Arachnid
CC Legend

Postby Cornuck » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:38 am

Arachnid wrote:Don't understand this 'Hate' for other teams and their fans. Flames have a Cup, we don't. I think we should be a little more humble in our cockiness don't you?

OUCH! I"d have to say the Canucks can have some smug satisfaction in the fact that their team is very well run these days. We're developing a culture of winning, and have some very talented players.

Nice breakdown of the breakdown.

Personally, I'm taking more satisfaction from seeing the Oilers live in the cellar. That stems from the constant beat-downs we received in the 80's and 90's. After that, its a long simmering hate for the Leafs and the Habs. That stems from watching games in 70's and the Coliseum would not be home ice for the Canucks.

After that, it's a roving hate for whichever team has Pronger in their lineup.
Over 40 years of pain - I just want one day of glory.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby Arachnid » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:04 am

Cornuck wrote:
Arachnid wrote:Don't understand this 'Hate' for other teams and their fans. Flames have a Cup, we don't. I think we should be a little more humble in our cockiness don't you?

OUCH! I"d have to say the Canucks can have some smug satisfaction in the fact that their team is very well run these days. We're developing a culture of winning, and have some very talented players.

Nice breakdown of the breakdown.

Personally, I'm taking more satisfaction from seeing the Oilers live in the cellar. That stems from the constant beat-downs we received in the 80's and 90's. After that, its a long simmering hate for the Leafs and the Habs. That stems from watching games in 70's and the Coliseum would not be home ice for the Canucks.

After that, it's a roving hate for whichever team has Pronger in their lineup.

I understand the rivalry of the fans. They remain constant. It's a lot of fun to taunt. Love taunting my friends and family in Calgary, Edmonton and Toronto.
If you don't believe there was ever Norse Gods, Egyptian Gods, Greek/Roman or Christian/Islamic/Judaism God then you are a fool if you don't believe in the Hockey Gods ®
Karma baby, keeping pissing them off with faux bravado and cockiness with nothing to back it up and you will.
They have a bastard of a sense of humour.

It's when the commentators and fans refer to teams from another time that drives me nuts.
New ownership, completely different players and coaches have nothing to do with the past. Let it go.
Concentrate on the here and now rivalry.
Put your energy into the Flames, how about the Red Wings. You wanna talk hate? Envy? They are the cOilers of the New Millennia.

The Vancouver Canucks have NEVER won the Cup. Walk into the SaddleDome (heh, I still call it that :) ), Northlands, Maple Laugh Gardens (going to my universities new Athletic center :D )and you see a living history of winning of real moments of victory. Not a 'nice move by the GM to make it look like a good future' feeling or emotion....that's kinda feeble and light.

Funny enough, I have hated the Leafs for years. Even when I had seasons here. Now, since BB got here and got serious and dumped the dead old weight (except for Kaberle) I actually kind of like them. They are where they belong. In the basement with no 1st rounder. BB gets it. He is doing what I have been telling Maple Crap fans for years...stop proclaiming the Stanley Cup is yours every year and suck for 5 years and build your team honestly like Chicago did. Pay your dues instead of trying to buy the Cup because you think you can. You can't.
Now they have young, honest, hard working guys. Hanson (the son of the Slapshot) is a great young player that plays his heart out every shift (wish he played on the Canucks), Schenn is going to be dominant in 5 years time, the Monster is actually pretty good, Bozak is a real pleasure to watch.
Nope, they are actually humbled this year and the first time in years I can stand them (fans and team).
We can learn from that.

I want nothing more (because I'm fracking shellfish 8-) ) than for the Leafs to be a good team again and for them to play the Orcas in the Stanley Cup final so I can go to every game here (like I did in '94) and watch with pleasure as we kick their arses for the world to see.
That's why I want every Canadian rivalry to make the playoffs. So we can prove it for real on the road to the Cup and shut their fans up for like, eva! ;)
There is no such thing as climate change...there is no such thing as climate change...there is such thing as climate change...
Arachnid
CC Legend

Postby LotusBlossom » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:53 pm

I am tired of hearing of yesteryear... sounds a little too "Al Bundy" for me. It reminds me of a middle age man grasping for his youth constantly (usually through sports cars and younger women) and not facing the fact he is getting old and won't age 'gracefully'. You had your time...step aside son!

WHO FREAKING CARES if the Flames won a cup in 1989! That was 21 freaking years ago when some of posters here, still had hair and were living up the last part of the 80s. I was 14 in 1989, but I don't relish about teased bangs and pointed John Fluevogs. What I care about is the present day.

In this day, although the Canucks need to really start finding the back of the net again...those 80s, 70s, 60s traditions of winning are DONE! It's in the past.

I'm very happy with the culture-building in Vancouver...because you keep a solid core together with new additions to help aid towards the goal.

No cockiness in being a fan of the top Canadian team in the league. Why should I STFU because as a franchise, the Canucks have yet to win the cup? I'm one to move on to look at the current team and then future.

When the Flames, Oilers and Leafs are in the hunt (and I mean really in the hunt..not this Iginla said so, so we are crap) then I'll shut up...but for now...HAHAHA to those cocky bastards in Calgary saying the Canucks were done after only 20 games in. Who's laughing now? TYVM!
Didn't you know?I'm Front Page news! ;)
LotusBlossom
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby Farhan Lalji » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:17 pm

Arachnid wrote:Hmmmm Flamers might still make the playoffs...looks like someone pissed off the Hockey Gods ® :evil:

Personally, I want all the Canadaian teams in the post-season, then we can go watch the Canucks destroy them in their own arena :mrgreen:

Don't understand this 'Hate' for other teams and their fans. Flames have a Cup, we don't. I think we should be a little more humble in our cockiness don't you?

I wouldn't have agreed with this post about a year ago (or even 6 months ago?), but I actually find myself agreeing with this about 90%. :shock: The only thing I disagree with is the implication that the franchise of Calgary is more 'storied' than us due to their cup victory (you aren't necessarily saying that, but I just wanted to make sure).

Yes - Calgary has won a cup, but their track record since winning the cup has been VERY VERY sub-par. Ours hasn't been great either, but it's definitely been more noteworthy than Calgary's.

Having said that - I also feel like you do (i.e. having a vested interest in seeing the Flames succeed so that we can beat them when it matters most). Although a part of me is happy that the Flames will most likely miss, there's also that part of me that misses having the Flames as our rival. That's one thing I loved about the 05/06 season: Even though the Canucks underachived, every single team in our division that year was a hated and competitive rival.....even Edmonton! :shock:
Farhan Lalji

Postby Arachnid » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:36 pm

Farhan Lalji wrote:
Arachnid wrote:Hmmmm Flamers might still make the playoffs...looks like someone pissed off the Hockey Gods ® :evil:

I wouldn't have agreed with this post about a year ago (or even 6 months ago?), but I actually find myself agreeing with this about 90%. :shock: The only thing I disagree with is the implication that the franchise of Calgary is more 'storied' than us due to their cup victory (you aren't necessarily saying that, but I just wanted to make sure).

Yes - Calgary has won a cup, but their track record since winning the cup has been VERY VERY sub-par. Ours hasn't been great either, but it's definitely been more noteworthy than Calgary's.

Having said that - I also feel like you do (i.e. having a vested interest in seeing the Flames succeed so that we can beat them when it matters most). Although a part of me is happy that the Flames will most likely miss, there's also that part of me that misses having the Flames as our rival. That's one thing I loved about the 05/06 season: Even though the Canucks underachived, every single team in our division that year was a hated and competitive rival.....even Edmonton! :shock:

Calgary more storeyed (<<<<like wot i did thar...an architectural witticism ;) )than us...ahahahahaha...um nope.
But
If you win a Cup it is still worth it's weight in bragging rights. No one can debate that.
Until we do we are also rans and not even Elite and certainly not the 'best Canucks team ever'

There are Players that have retired. Great players like Marcel Dionne, Mat Sundin, Gilbert Perrault, etc that will tell you despite their records and great careers they would trade it in for one thing and one thing only...to win the most difficult ring to have on your finger in all of sport...

Some times I think Canuck fans are afraid. Afraid to meet the teams they hate so much in the playoffs because if they lose they will have to eat their fickle cockiness.
That's what a rivalry is right? For teams to meet head to head mano-o-mano like in '94. Not regular season records.
Can't do that if you hope that they fizzle and don't even make it to the post-season.
No I say! No! Cheer the Flamers on to squeak into the 2nd season so they will be weak and we can crush their little brains like monkeys in Asia!
Now doesn't feel better? That's what I thought.

Oh and we agree on one other thing too , but I can't get into that here :drink:
Arachnid
CC Legend

Postby Fred » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:04 pm

How long will a turn around take, they don't even have a long line of prospects coming through. Times look tough for a few years. Iginla big big money with low low expectations. If you're going to rebuild you have to dump this guy, there's no point to paying out his sort of money when failure is all but assured.

As of now I believe they have a pick at #14.

I guess the same theory holds true for Kipper, sign Toskal and have him backed up by Leland, dump the money

Wow what a mess.
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Postby the toucan kid » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:15 pm

Do they even have a pick this year? Or is it next they swapped? Either way, that will certainly make it tough to rebuild through the draft.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Postby Fred » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:32 pm

the toucan kid wrote:

Do they even have a pick this year? Or is it next they swapped? Either way, that will certainly make it tough to rebuild through the draft.

You know it's funny you said that because frankly I thought they didn't have a pick this draft (2010,) but when I looked at the Draft lottery they had Cgy showen as the 14th slot
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Postby the toucan kid » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:16 pm

*The Calgary Flames' first-round pick will go to the Phoenix Coyotes as the result of a trade on March 4, 2009 that sent Olli Jokinen and a third-round pick to Calgary for Matthew Lombardi, Brandon Prust and this pick (being conditional at the time of the trade).[3] The condition – Calgary had the option to give their first-round pick to Phoenix either in 2009 or 2010 – has been converted on June 1, 2009 when Calgary decided to keep their 2009 pick.[4]

As per Wiki

That's how I remember it, must have just been an error, or they simply continued to count it as Calgary's pick even though it's in Phoenix's possession.

Ugly, ugly deal for the Flames.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat