Dining in Vancouver

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Broda
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Dining in Vancouver

Post by Broda »

LB i guess we have a difference of opinion.. I have always loathed Veras... always felt there stuff was considerably over priced and it never really got me excited...

Handi House? In the north shore. Usually when i get indian its over on Kingsway or going to Little india on Main. I've never been to Vij's.. always wanted to. But just have never made it there.

Dim Sum anyone??? Where are the best places here that aren't in Richmond? As i don't usually travel that far south.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Broda wrote:LB i guess we have a difference of opinion.. I have always loathed Veras... always felt there stuff was considerably over priced and it never really got me excited...
Well since they closed down the back eatery at Save On Meats just on the edge of Gastown, if I was in the downtown core and just wanted a burger, Vera's wasn't bad. The back cafe at that butcher shop in the seedy part of town had the best burgers and fries for a greasy spoon for a whole $6 you get a double cheese burger, fries and drink. Not only was it cheap (a place I frequented when I was a student) it was great eats.
Handi House? In the north shore. Usually when i get indian its over on Kingsway or going to Little india on Main. I've never been to Vij's.. always wanted to. But just have never made it there.

Dim Sum anyone??? Where are the best places here that aren't in Richmond? As i don't usually travel that far south.
I love Dim Sum but I don't know the name of the one I would head to on Keefer in Chinatown. I heard Richmond has the best ones but my friend said there was one on Kingsway that was very good.

Indian..I'm all about heading up to Little India on Main. All India Sweets has great food.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

nucklehead_88 wrote:i know it's not exactly high class but.......flying wedge pizza and fatburger are taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasty
Flying Wedge is definitely one of the best. I love how you can order XL pizzas. Isn't Fatburger called Moderne Burger now? Or are they completely unrelated?
Broda wrote:Dim Sum anyone??? Where are the best places here that aren't in Richmond? As i don't usually travel that far south.
It's unfortunate that service in Chinese restaurants, for me anyway, in general is piss poor. It's gotten so bad at some points where I'd refuse to go into Chinese restaurants even if I have a craving for that food.

Sun Sui Wah is good, probably not as good as it once was, but there's one in Richmond and one on Main St. I believe. However, I suggest you go in a larger groups because they tend to ignore tables that don't have a lot of people. Plus you can order more with more people.

The Kirin restaurant that's on the top floor of City Hall is good too. I'd say it's one of the best.

The restaurant that is attached to Oakridge Mall to the left of the outside theatre entrance is also worth trying.

If you go to any big Chinese restaurant during lunch they usually will have dim sum and it's all pretty decent.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I've been watching this thread, and it wasn't until Flying Wedge was mentioned that I started feeling jealous! When I lived in Kits, I frequented it a lot, along with Metro(?) Pizza on 4th. After a few beers and a burger at the Cambie, I'd walk home and try to make it in time before The Wedge closed. I'm no foodie, but I also miss the Greek food in town and the overall variety.

Moving to Vegas was a mistake food wise. Sure, there are some great restaurants there, but you need to spend the big bucks. I lived there over 10 years, and never found a good pizza.

Of course, now in Chester, Nebraska - the food options are limited...
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

as far as i know it's still called fatburger. i'll find out today. my sister works at flying wedge so i get free pizza! :D
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

jchockey wrote:The Kirin restaurant that's on the top floor of City Hall is good too. I'd say it's one of the best.
Glad someone mentioned the Kirin; I prefer the one downtown on Alberni. The chili- and garlic-fried prawns, spicy beef noodle soup, and double-boiled milk is worth the trip to Vancouver... And I live in Illinois!
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

Cornuck wrote:
Of course, now in Chester, Nebraska - the food options are limited...
Corn... and... more corn? :D
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Heading to the Orange Room in New West before I take off for Phoenix... saw it's been redone and they have a "Mixologist" these days. Heard nothing about great things with the new ownership and renovations. Peeked in on my way to River's Reach one night, and it looked amazing and still cozy. I know the Sous Chef, who used to be at Aqua Riva (another great little joint the old Forrester's).

But tonight...although I should stay in...I'm in the mood for a little Salt.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Orange Room in New West...

I found if you're looking for Tapas in the most 'organic' sense, La Bodega on Howe is one of the best places to go for a more authentic Spanish feel.

My sister held her company Christmas party there and we took up the whole upstairs and had a bit of a dance party. Great place and probably the best sangria in town.

Lounge of the week would have to be George in Yaletown on Hamilton street, right beside Capone's. I went there prior to the bronze medal game last week and they upgraded the food. Excellent little menu and their wine list has been expanded. For those looking for a selection of beers, they don't have anything on tap, but have a few good ones by bottle. Pretty cool place, I enjoy all the times I've gone there.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

LotusBlossom wrote: I found if you're looking for Tapas in the most 'organic' sense, La Bodega on Howe is one of the best places to go for a more authentic Spanish feel.
Ah, La Bodega. La Bodega is the kind of place that you take someone to and if they don't like it you seriously question their character. That applies to girlfriends, boyfriends, friends, spouses, parents, kids, and so on. I have been going to La Bodega for almost 30 years (and it hasn't changed for 30 years). Lots of foggy memories from La Bodega. I haven't been there for a while which means it is about time to go... Lots of good things on the menu, but don't miss the Patatas Bravas.

Sooner or later some idiot will decide to either "update" La Bodega or turn it into a Hard Rock Cafe. If that has already happened, somebody shoot me. Quick.
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

lol that's hilarious Dr.! I just realized that happened to me... A newly met girl insisted we go there (I had not heard of it at that time) and we ended up going there (me) late eighties to sometime in the nineties. If it's still the same i"d be suprised But maybe I shouldn't? I can vouch for the place.. great people. Do Hos A and Hos B (as I called them still work there? 8-)
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO @ updating La Bodega! Yeah it's a great place. My daughter was a bit picky about the food (she's 12) but she did find items she liked on the menu. Fantastic atmosphere. Nah, I've been going there for a while as well and doc...no 'upgrades' on the joint and hopefully never will. Nah it's always a fairly busy place when I have gone, so I don't see them changing it in the near future.

I wonder what's out Glendale, AZ way... Mr. LB and I leave at 8am tomorrow morning. So excited! Sports trip...a lil spring training, a little B-ball, and of course next week, Canucks vs Coyotes at Jobbing.com Arena!
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Went to Stella's for a work lunch on Commercial last week. I must say their beer selection has gotten much much better, although I opted to have a very nice Malbec from Argentina instead.

I had Seared Yellow Fin Tuna with 'wilted' spinach. EXCELLENT!

I need to find a day in the week to actually head there and have a good tapa night. Busy as freaking hell lately :(.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Red Card is the sports bar at the old Dufferin Hotel now known as Moda Hotel.

Great place to watch footy, if you're into that sort of thing.

Good beer selection and good eats.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Went to Lift last night with Mr. LB. Watched the sunset from our table and had an amazingly fantastic dinner. Probably some of the best sushi (as an appy) I've had in any city.

It's probably one of my fave places to just be at because of the location and the atmosphere.

They also have an amazing scotch selection up there. While we were waiting for our table to be placed, we sat at the bar and I was ogling at it with a smile.

Good place for a romantic dinner out for you and your significant other for sure, and the food won't disappoint.