Most hated player?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

jchockey
MVP
MVP

Most hated player?

Post by jchockey »

Just wanted to see who everyone's most hated player in the NHL is. I watched the Boston-Tampa highlights and I can't believe how big of a p*ssy Steve Downie is. He goes after Satan and then an injured Chara, but when the big man drops the gloves Downie immediately turtles. What a gutless puke. I can't even find the words to describe how much he doesn't belong in this league.

Sean Avery's a loudmouth and an agitator but take his lips away and he's actually a decent hockey player. Jordin Tootoo will hit anything but he won't back down from any challenge either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2z0Iz3BdEo

I wish Downie had been man enough to stay on his feet so I could see Chara pound the living crap out of him a little longer.

It's guys like Downie and their antics that give hockey such a bad name and make it such a pain to watch. There's absolutely no respect in the league anymore.
Farhan Lalji

Re: Most hated player?

Post by Farhan Lalji »

It's probably still Sean Avery.

I wonder where Matt Cooke would rank on a list like this? Bertuzzi would have easily been top 5 during 04-07 (or even before 04'), but I don't think he's hated any longer thanks to his possible acceptance of being mediocre in life....and not trying to "stand out."
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

Demitra. No, Wellwood.

Nah. Demitra.

:mex:
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
Ridleyfan
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Ridleyfan »

Downie. Gutless and cheap. Always has been, even at the WJC.

A close second would be Daniel Carcillo. Cheap, mouthy, and stupid. Has some skill, but hasn't used any since his first year in Phoenix.
The leaves: Longest running sitcom since Seinfeld.
Broda
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Broda »

Jagr... well not so much anymore.. but his hair pissed me off to no end.. actually one of my good buddies just interviewed him for the Olympics..

Most hated??? probably Ott or Avery.. Agitators in general are just annoying?
Cannie
CC Veteran

Post by Cannie »

Downie, great choice. Avery is easy to hate - he plays the villain well.
But is it too easy to choose an agitator/slash/goon?

Since Messier retired, it is hard to think of a polarizing figure that rivals truly despise. Denis Potvin did it for Ranger fans, who collectively proclaimed his prodigious skills at inhaling air quickly. Guys like Roenick and Patrick Roy were colourful and controversial, but sophisticated observers saw through the histrionics and realized the value of having bright and media savvy personalities dot the often barren landscape.

So, since so few NHL hockey players are willing to embrace the antagonist role, shall we just take consolation in the fact we have a couple good candidates in Alex Burrows and Ryan Kesler that other teams love to hate?

Cannie
:towel: :towel: :towel: GO CANUCKS GO!!! :towel: :towel: :towel:
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Pronger.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Cannie
CC Veteran

Post by Cannie »

Cornuck wrote:Pronger.
Ask me again on March 1st.

I have 2 Red Maple leaves covering my eyes ;)

Cannie
:towel: :towel: :towel: GO CANUCKS GO!!! :towel: :towel: :towel:
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Ridleyfan wrote:Downie. Gutless and cheap. Always has been, even at the WJC.

A close second would be Daniel Carcillo. Cheap, mouthy, and stupid. Has some skill, but hasn't used any since his first year in Phoenix.
Yeah I am there with ya on Downie who is a graduate from the Bryan Marchment school of hockey.

Carcillo....sighs... wasted.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

Gotta agree with this. Although I'm a Canada-first guy, him using his skate to step on Kesler when he was in a vulnerable position is beyond the pale. Avery is a tool, but he's doing his job, though I would love to him get his clocked cleaned a few times. Ott and Downie I'd put in the same pile, but there's no excuse for Pronger, and I hate how the NHL lets him get off lightly.
Mark
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

MarkMM wrote:
Gotta agree with this. Although I'm a Canada-first guy, him using his skate to step on Kesler when he was in a vulnerable position is beyond the pale. Avery is a tool, but he's doing his job, though I would love to him get his clocked cleaned a few times. Ott and Downie I'd put in the same pile, but there's no excuse for Pronger, and I hate how the NHL lets him get off lightly.
It usually helps when you're one of the best players in the game. Pronger sells tickets, those other tools don't. Pronger is the kind of guy you love on your team, and hate to play against. As we all know... this team could really use that franchise/#1/elite level Dman and Pronger is certainly the total package.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
MarkMM wrote:
It usually helps when you're one of the best players in the game. Pronger sells tickets, those other tools don't. Pronger is the kind of guy you love on your team, and hate to play against. As we all know... this team could really use that franchise/#1/elite level Dman and Pronger is certainly the total package.
I agree. I bet you if you asked the 29 other teams in the league they'd say Kesler/Burrows are the most agitating players in the world because they're so lippy but still great hockey players.

The fact that Downie's piling up the points because he plays with Stamkos is equally irritating because Tampa fans will tell you that he's just "misunderstood." Ha.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

I understand the logic that the guy sells tickets, I'm just saying I don't agree with it being enough to justify him getting special treatment (or any other player, for that matter).

And the difference between Burrowks/Kesler, or even Cooke, Ruutu and Avery versus Pronger is that there's being annoying, and there's stepping on someone's exposed leg with your skate blade. One is a part of the game, and one is against both the written and unwritten rules.
Mark
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

uhh.. Brett Hull?

if it has to be a current player then I pick....

Brett Hull

I still hate St.Louis and Dallas becasue of him (RBHH).

Residual Brett Hull Hate
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Brett Hull
Didn't come to mind until you mentioned him. But him (and his Pops - bad personal experience) are among two of my most disliked ever.