Worldchampionship Final 2005: Canada - Czech Rep.

Discuss Canada's National Teams in our Team Canada forum.

Moderator: Referees

Who will shoot the first goal ? ;)

Canada
83%
Czech Rep.
17%

Total votes: 6

Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Worldchampionship Final 2005: Canada - Czech Rep.

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Preview: http://www.ihwc.net/english/article/rec ... artId=2184

I guess Team Canada will score first but it won't guarantee anything because the Czechs are pretty dangerous from coming behind as everybody could see yesterday against Sweden. It was a great pretty hard fought game and maybe the Czechs could be a little exhausted. Team Canada had a rest in the third period, so maybe it could be an advantage today. ;)

ps: Man was that a laserbeam of a goal which Petr Cajanek scored and also a beauty the goal scored by Daniel Sedin, great pass from his brother Henrik behind the czech goal with the backhand through his own legs.

ps2: The poll question is with reference to Tom Benjamin's blog "The Myth of the First Goal". :mrgreen: http://www.canuckscorner.com/weblog/nhllog/index.html

Go Canucks Go........
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

GO CANADA GO!!

:shock: WOOT :wave:
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

Congrats to the Czechs and a solid Silver Medal for this tourney. Dissapointing finish but there were some games where I thought maybe we shouldnt have even been in the Gold Medal game. Jovo was terrible for most of this tournament and Morrison was a no show for the Final..

Damn that blows but at least its silver.

Mcquire just mentioned that Jovo was injured for the entire tourney.... could explain his play but there were some boneheaded passes and plays. Not much more Marty could have done.

Well its over... what now???? summer of no CBA deal and bickering between NHL and PA...

Phak

GO MOOSE GO!!!!
supercanuck
CC Veteran

Post by supercanuck »

Jan Hlavac?!?! :shock: The World Championships definitely appears to be more important to the Czechs than the Stanley Cup. They played like it.

Anyone hear Ryan Smyth complain about the hooking and holding from Czech? Reminds you of the NHL, but Team Canada just didn't fight hard enough.
Mozy
MVP
MVP

Post by Mozy »

I was pissed off at that bullshit call when teh czech player caught the puck in mid air and threw it over the glass and there was no penalty....ridiculous....rather interesting that we dropped the womens world championships...we lost the under 18's and then we lost this tourny...all we have won is the world jrs....
Did you see the pool? They flipped the bitch
Heavy_P
AHL Prospect

Post by Heavy_P »

Looked to me like th Czechs wanted it more. Silver is nothing to be dissapointed with though.

Thanks for the great showing out there boys, you did your country proud.
"No, if your jaw were broken, you would'nt be able to talk...and my life would be much easier." - Oracle
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

supercanuck wrote:Jan Hlavac?!?! :shock: The World Championships definitely appears to be more important to the Czechs than the Stanley Cup. They played like it.

Anyone hear Ryan Smyth complain about the hooking and holding from Czech? Reminds you of the NHL, but Team Canada just didn't fight hard enough.
i don't remember, but has anyone caught a naslund article in the globe and mail i think it was. anyway, the whole article said that naslund feels that...
- there is a lot more clutching and grabbing in the nhl, but the stickwork in europe is unbearable
- he does not wish to return to modo or any other european team, lockout or not

and if memory serves correct...
- naslund doesn't feel a bigger ice surface will increase scoring, neither will the abolishment of the 2 line pass.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

I'm not disappointed with the outcome, silver's really not bad, but with the final generally. It wasn't the big game i've expected because the Czechs played too strong defensively and Canada couldn't generate real scoring chances. Seems they were out of gas or something.
The Czechs deserved it totally to win the gold medal, the better team in all aspects yesterday.

Anyways the quarter- and semifinals were great games so i'm not disappointed at all. :mrgreen:

ps: The most funny thing in the last few minutes of the game was the outbreak of frustration by Ryan Smyth, what the hell he wanted to do with Jiri Fischer's feet ? Chop them off ? (He whacked about 10 times on them with his stick. :lol: )

What's next ? The Moose before a long summer break is waiting again. :towel:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

feritflame wrote:I was pissed off at that bullshit call when teh czech player caught the puck in mid air and threw it over the glass and there was no penalty....ridiculous.....
Lame call no doubt but the guys weren't going to win... I thought it was a pretty boring game overall ... really tight, lots of hooking and holding up etc. The Czechs did an excellent job defensively and Canada just couldn't generate a whole lot of quality scoring chances.

Again as i noted before ... as much as I like Thorton and Nash ... I still think Canada needed some pure skill guys out there ... Oh well congrats to the Czechs .... they played well all tournament and deserved it.

Grizz
Mozy
MVP
MVP

Post by Mozy »

Congrats to Thornton for getting the MVP for the tourney...i hope that doesnt jynx him for next year like it did heatly....if hes around next year that is
Did you see the pool? They flipped the bitch