Canada vs.Slovakia

Discuss Canada's National Teams in our Team Canada forum.

Moderator: Referees

Who will win?

Canada
50%
Slovakia
50%

Total votes: 6

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Canada vs.Slovakia

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Who is going to win the Canada-Slovakia game on thursday? And why?

(remember that Canada's defence has been struggling and Broduer is not in gold medal form --yet)
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Canada will win...

They should be pumpedfor thier first game that means something.

Slovakia hasn't really done much against real competition.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

I hope Canada wíns......but i have a bad feeling.
Why ? Because they (SLO) have nothing to lose regarding expectations.....but if our guys are really pumped up...everything can happen.

Go Canucks Go :mrgreen:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I think that the Coaching and Defence (a product of coaching) are suspect for Team Canada. We are all hoping that grit, skill and deterimination will carry the day for TC..
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

5-4 win... ooof just pulled that out.
westvandal
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by westvandal »

I missed every game so far damnit, hopefully I can catch one by the end.

Did you watch it Mattola? got a recap?
E1-E4 = I made it up.
E5 = Found it on tsn.
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

the entire game was back and forth. lots of sloppy play by our D again and if not for Marty on the PS then we may have lost this. Jovo continues to be questionable to me (dont we have boumeister on the shelf?) and the rest of the D just seems to be confused on what to do with the puck.

game saw lots of cheap shots from the Slovaks, Penalty Shot (great save marty), breakways, 3 on 1s, bad turnovers. great saves and leads changing back and forth. it was very exciting and some of our forwards (Smyth, Heatley) seem to be starting to breakout.
Mozy
MVP
MVP

Post by Mozy »

I hope Canada wíns......but i have a bad feeling.
i had that feeling too and for the past hour untill i just read the final score all i had seen on tsn was the final screen shot of the Canadians and it looked liek they were crying and i thought tehy had lost adn i had gone ape shit....apparently looks can be decieving...damn that score was the best news I've heard all day :D
Did you see the pool? They flipped the bitch
Mozy
MVP
MVP

Post by Mozy »

Sorry for the double post but i have to admit its rather sad that Canada can only really kick it into gear when their asses are on the line...even if it is a crappier team...which i would definitly not call slovakia they gotta bring their A game....after all look at teh ukraine...

question...if you had to make a top 5 of the best hockey nations in the world how would it look

1 Canada ( because we have won every hockey competition in the last few years at every level)
2. US because they are always second...

but then who do you put next....sweeden? russia? slovakia? its so close...what do you think?
westvandal
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by westvandal »

Aside from Canada really, it seems to change year to year.

Right now?

1 Canada
2 USA
3 Russia
4 Sweden
5 Finland
6 Slovakia

Latvia and Germany are not as far off as they once were...I think that's it, isn't it?

In 2-4 years i'm tempted to throw Finland in 2nd...they're goaltending for the future is unbelievable.

If Russia gets their organization back together they're always a threat, even for first.Also, I see USA on its way down to 3rd or 4th within that same time-frame...the "new guard" for them will need more time to develop.
E1-E4 = I made it up.
E5 = Found it on tsn.
westvandal
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by westvandal »

Shite.....

I forgot the Czechs, I would throw them 3rd or 4th, not sure yet. I probably forgot another country in there too but for me its off the "TVfreebaser" for awhile and time for people and sunshine, lol.
E1-E4 = I made it up.
E5 = Found it on tsn.
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

sums it up good from mytelus.com

A report card look at Team Canada

INNSBRUCK, Austria (CP) - A report card look at Team Canada after Thursday's 5-4 quarter-final victory over Slovakia at the IIHF world men's championship:

Forwards

Simon Gagne, A-plus: Canada's best player at both ends of the ice. Two huge goals.

Rick Nash, A: Dangerous on every shift, intercepted clearing attempt to set up Canada's third goal and a masterful pass from behind the net to set up the fourth goal. Team-high six shots on goal.

Dany Heatley, A: Showed his MVP form with a big-time effort, goal and assist and a threat throughout.

Ryan Smyth, B-plus: Captain Canada shows up for big games. His first-period goal energized the team.

Shane Doan, B-plus: Very noticeable on the checking line, created chances and pounded the Slovaks.

Brendan Morrison, B: Created chances for linemates Smyth and Heatley.

Brenden Morrow, B: Strong on the forecheck and a physical presence.

Scott Walker, B: Terrorized Slovak blue-line with thunderous hit, also plowed into goalie Jan Lasak.

Joe Thornton, B: Horrible giveaway leading to Slovakia's fourth goal but redeemed himself with the game-winner.

Patrick Marleau, C: Pretty pass to set up Smyth for Canada's second goal.

Kirk Maltby, C: High-flying Slovaks difficult to check; minus-2 rating.

Kris Draper, C: Took a bad penalty to put Canada down two men and allow Slovakia to tie the game 3-3 but redeemed himself with a huge shot block during a late Slovak power play.

Mike Fisher, no grade: Did not play.

-

Defence

Dan Boyle, B-plus: Booted the transition game with pinpoint passing.

Wade Redden, B-plus: Solid all-around game, for the most part contained the high-flying Slovak wingers.

Scott Hannan, B: Tough physical game and smart decisions with the puck.

Chris Phillips, C: The most ice time for him in the tournament and he didn't look out of place. Looked confident.

Robyn Regehr, D: Got caught flat-footed on opening goal and seemed to struggle with Slovak speed on the outside.

Ed Jovanovski, D: Also caught on first goal and still not hitting his stride after not playing all year.

Sheldon Souray, no grade: Did not play.

-

Goal

Martin Brodeur, C: Should have perhaps had second and fourth goals but his sensational penalty shot save may have won the game for Canada.
Mozy
MVP
MVP

Post by Mozy »

anyone other than me think that gaboriks goal was absolutely brilliant...?? i mean sliding on his knees, barely up and then in teh back of the net.....although i must admit on any other day he would have had that
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Russians next ??? How do you figure the guys will do ??

Grizz
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Gaborik's goal was really super fantastic. :mrgreen:
Here's a link to the actual power rankings of the national teams: ;)

http://live82.ihwc.net/english/article/ranking/

I would say the first 7 are nearly even and every team can beat the other on a good day.

ps: look at what Germany makes so great. :roll:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'