GDT: Canucks host the Wild - 7PM - CBC-HD

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

GDT: Canucks host the Wild - 7PM - CBC-HD

Post by Cornuck »

We've seen what they can do after a layoff, now it's time to see what the team can do in a back-to-back situation.

I guess the best news is that the Wild are also going through an early injury phase. Maybe that will even the odds? I think this will be a classic case of "Which team wants it more". The Canucks have to start gelling at some point (even if they are dealing with new faces) and just play for pride in front of the home fans that are starting to question whether the pre-season record was just smoke and mirrors. Will we see Raycroft make his Canucks debut tonight?

Stats of the day - Canucks have the #1 power play, yet have the 25th worst PK. Glass is half full?

NHL.com Preview
THN.com TooT

GO CANUCKS GO!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: GDT: Canucks host the Wild - 7PM - CBC-HD

Post by nucklehead_88 »

for the love of mercy let raycroft play
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

Sorry to sound so negative, but even if the Canucks come out hard, play well and get a win...it only buys back the horrid effort in Calgary. That makes it a neutral weekend at best. Hard to get excited about that. Good teams (and teams that are going somewhere) don't flip-flop around like that.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Sid Dithers wrote:Sorry to sound so negative, but even if the Canucks come out hard, play well and get a win...it only buys back the horrid effort in Calgary. That makes it a neutral weekend at best. Hard to get excited about that. Good teams (and teams that are going somewhere) don't flip-flop around like that.
Boston has flipped-flopped all season thus far... 4-1L, 7-2W, 6-1L, 4-3W... are they a bad team?

It's still early, two of our three best offensive players are hurt, and we could nearly staff a powerplay with the guys on IR. As with Luongo's injury last season, if we can come out of this stretch at .500 that's probably not a horrid thing considering the circumstances.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Sorry to sound so negative, but even if the Canucks come out hard, play well and get a win...it only buys back the horrid effort in Calgary. That makes it a neutral weekend at best. Hard to get excited about that. Good teams (and teams that are going somewhere) don't flip-flop around like that.
Sorry, Sid you're saying good teams don't have two game stretches where they lose one poorly and then win the next one? Doesn't that mean that good teams play well in every game? Not yet seen one of those, Kemo Sabe.
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

the toucan kid wrote:
Sorry, Sid you're saying good teams don't have two game stretches where they lose one poorly and then win the next one? Doesn't that mean that good teams play well in every game? Not yet seen one of those, Kemo Sabe.
Ah..it's just more about consistency of effort. That's what gets me, I suppose. You've just got to be ready to do your job when the puck drops. Poor efforts don't get rewarded much. It's a tough league. If you've got players who can't commit with that in mind, how can you get anywhere? This team's mindset just has to get a whole lot better collectively.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Understood, but even a Cup champ probably lays 5-15 eggs a season (depending on how bad the loss has to be considered). There's not much consistency to speak of yet, but we've got ways to go.
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

As usual.

One goal against off our own player. This is just getting stupid, why does it always happen to us? Let's hope we eat up those quota in the regular season.

Phantom penalties to the Canucks as the game comes to the end? Why? To make the game more interesting.
The Refs are really trained at this, it's getting out of hand, and sooner or later, a Ref will cost someone a playoff spot.

Luongo back on track, playing better, strong saves towards the end.

Raymond-Kesler-Grabner raised some eyebrows, speed-speed-speed. Grabner still has to work on his shots.

OMG SOB didn't take a penalty. I'm surprised. Heck, I'm gonna donate $100 to Canucks place for every game he doesn't take a penalty.

Henrik with out Daniel is just lost. I hope our secondary guys pick up enough to not dig us a huge hole.
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Jelly wrote:
Henrik with out Daniel is just lost. I hope our secondary guys pick up enough to not dig us a huge hole.
And yet he shows up on the scoresheet again, and nearly potted one on that slick delay move. He's played seven games, has 8 assists and 11 points. He has 5 points since Daniel went down. His line is obviously a bit off, but that comes with the adjustment. He's maintained his production without his brother, and the teams' leading goal-scorer... that's "just lost"? Gimme a break.

If anything, I've been pleasantly surprised at his ability to play without the telepathic other.
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

we fucking won one. holy shit. am i still wayyyyyy drunk or was that a good game?
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

OMG SOB didn't take a penalty. I'm surprised. Heck, I'm gonna donate $100 to Canucks place for every game he doesn't take a penalty.
$200 in the last 2 games .. he didn't take one against Calgary either.. and was one of the best dmen on the ice... Hallelujah..
Reality break.. we won a game 2-1 over one of the worst teams in the league.. even if Backstrom gave them great goaltending it isn't a big win... I am waiting to see how we do on the road against Chicago.. Edmonton next.. then Chicago... the lines should have jelled a bit more by the time we get to Chi town.. and hopefully Edler and Wellwood will get their game back..
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

nucklehead_88 wrote:hopefully Edler and Wellwood will get their game back
In all fairness, Wellwood hasn't played that badly, or not particularly worse than anyone else (cough - Hordichuk - cough), but it's like he's one pass or one deke short of cashing in on his efforts in the offensive zone. He just needs to get one in and the rest will flow in because it's not for lack of effort.

Bernier was a little invisible out there, except for crashing and banging and Johnson is just out of place as anything but a 4th-line centre. If anything is out of whack up front it's their 3rd line.

Kesler-Raymond-Grabner looked dangerous out there for most of the game. As for Grabner, he just has to stay in the hard areas longer and sooner or later he will cash in.

Samuelsson's goal looked like a carbon copy of Bernier's goal against the Habs last week, except it was Burrows doing his Daniel Sedin-impression. How much of that move is skill and how much of it is practice I wonder....
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

If anything, I've been pleasantly surprised at his ability to play without the telepathic other.
I'm with Island. Sub par linemates for a first line and he has 11 points already. He's got a lot of patience with the puck, just sadly not (and maybe not without reason) in his shot.
Kesler-Raymond-Grabner looked dangerous out there for most of the game. As for Grabner, he just has to stay in the hard areas longer and sooner or later he will cash in.

Yeah, that's worth going back to again. Speed can kill, but Raymond has to show some finish.

Bernier hasn't been as bad as Wellwood, but I've gone on and on about that. Wellwood needs to buck up pretty soon.
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

Raymond has more finish then Grabner has, so don't start there. Atleast Raymond is willing to go to the net.

Edler is starting to show some hints of being better and more mature, one thing I noticed was at the end of the game, with a few seconds left, instead of back hand clearing it, he just skated it to the board and held it there. That shows a lot.

A win is a win. Luongo looked better, and if he keeps this form, he'll steal a few back for us.
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

Sorry Jelly.. we must be watching different games..
Raymond has more finish then Grabner has, so don't start there. Atleast Raymond is willing to go to the net.

Raymond has the worst shot on the Canucks.. 23 shots on net and 1 goes in?? Most of his shots are still from the outside. Even Bernier has better finish...
Edler is starting to show some hints of being better and more mature, one thing I noticed was at the end of the game, with a few seconds left, instead of back hand clearing it, he just skated it to the board and held it there. That shows a lot.
Edler has the worst +/- on the team and even in the win last night he managed to be on the ice for the Wild goal and did nothing to stop it..
A win is a win. Luongo looked better, and if he keeps this form, he'll steal a few back for us.
Yeah he played better last night.. but was still the second best goaltender on the ice, as he has in nearly all of the first 7 games..
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(