GDT: Canucks @ Calgary - 6pm - SNet

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

GDT: Canucks @ Calgary - 6pm - SNet

Post by Cornuck »

Let's hope that all the injuries are getting out of the way early...

Grabner replaces Daniel
Rome replaces Salo

Grabner has picked up his game and his confidence in the Peg, so it's time to see if he can transfer that to the big league. At some point, he will run out of chances, so let's hope he gets rolling. Ehrhoff is turning out to be a great addition and will replacing Salo's minutes, so there shouldn't be a huge adjustment there.

Today's game day thread is brought to you by the word "Hope".

NHL.com Preview
THN.com TooT

GO CANUCKS GO!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Calgary - 6pm - SNet

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

"Hope" indeed... I do NOT have a good feeling about this game:

On IR:
Daniel (foot) / Demitra (shoulder) / Hansen (hand)
Salo (knee) / Schneider (shoulder)

That's a pretty good second line, plus a very good PP d pairing to have out of out of the lineup. :mad: I expect the Phlegms to smell blood in the water and come out firing from all directions in the first ten minutes. Hopefully, AV & co. will have their team better prepared than they were the last time these two teams met and not get blown out in the first ten minutes. If they do, then Team Phragility will begin to question itself and implode - a very good thing. Hope springs eternal.

My guess is that the team that scores the first goal will win this game. The Canucks scoring depth will be severely tested, and the Phlegms will have the Dion and JBo jumping up into the play at every opportunity, especially when our vaunted 4th line (Glass/Rypien/Hordichuk) gets on the ice. :mad: Calgary will key on Henrik and pummel him at every opp, so it should open up ice for Burrows / Grabner. I hope to see more production from MayRay / Kesler / Samuelsson.

5-2 Phlegms. :evil:
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Ehrhoff is turning out to be a great addition and will replacing Salo's minutes, so there shouldn't be a huge adjustment there.
Ehrhoff, remember, was brought into take Ohlund's minutes. He's an upgrade in that sense. That said when Salo goes, and the minutes need to be taken up, it starts to weaken our D, especially Bieksa who makes more mistakes when tired, it would seem.
Rome can probably handle time more than some of the guys we've had to use the last few years, and with Schneider only a few weeks away, this is easily the least serious D issue we've had recently. Great job by MG to get quality and depth insurance.

Up front? Yeah, that's a little bit more troubling. Hey, the Flames are playing like shit, so maybe if Luongo is rounding into form we have a fighting shot.
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

well jesus the wait is over. that felt like another offseason.
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

nucklehead_88 wrote:well jesus the wait is over. that felt like another offseason.
haha, I was going to type that.

Will be waking up early to watch this one via GameCenter
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

Ehrhoff, remember, was brought into take Ohlund's minutes. He's an upgrade in that sense. That said when Salo goes, and the minutes need to be taken up, it starts to weaken our D, especially Bieksa who makes more mistakes when tired, it would seem.
Rome can probably handle time more than some of the guys we've had to use the last few years, and with Schneider only a few weeks away, this is easily the least serious D issue we've had recently. Great job by MG to get quality and depth insurance.
Dunno... but our goals against are way up and our PK is one of the worst in the league.. Ohlund was a horse defensively and Salo will be missed on the back end.. Luongo will have to be at his best to get us a win tonight..

I got a bad feeling about this game... so we'll probably win it ;) and yeah.. it seems like a season ago we played last...
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Mikodat wrote:...it seems like a season ago we played last...
Yeah - then we have 9 games between tonight and the 30th (14 days), with 3 back to backs...

I hope Luongo's ready to play 'at his salary level' soon, since I'm guessing Raycroft will be handling some games in the next 2 weeks.

2 points tonight will help, and although it's early, it's giving the Flames a good chance to gain a lot of ground that we'll have to make up at some point.
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

Cornuck wrote: I'm guessing Raycroft will be handling some games in the next 2 weeks.

I'd bet we see him on saturday
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

Someone needs to knock out Phaneuf, legal hit or not, for that hit on Daniel last time we met.

If no one steps up and teach him a lesson, we'd have to trade for Ruutu again and have him flip Phaneuf over again.

And since I said that, it will be SOB doing it, resulting in a penalty for charging.
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Someone needs to knock out Phaneuf
You could have just stopped there.
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

Someone needs to knock out Phaneuf, legal hit or not, for that hit on Daniel last time we met.
errrrr NO.... remember Naslund... and Bert?? Much better plan is to key on him with lots of legal hits.. maybe a few questionable hits.. 2 min boarding penalties or roughness might be ok ... if we had a decent PK.. But so far this season we have one of the worst PK's in the league..
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
nucks_girl
CC Veteran

Post by nucks_girl »

the toucan kid wrote:
Someone needs to knock out Phaneuf
You could have just stopped there.
True. You don't need a reason to knock him off his ass.

Won't be able to catch much of the game, have a dinner planned. Blah. Hopefully I won't hear the score from anyone, then I can come home and watch it. I already know that won't work, but this thread is brought to us by the word 'hope', so you never know. :lol:

Cheers boys, here's to a good one :drink:
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

we already know that SOB is going to take some stupid penalty every game. I was just hoping he atleast could punish PHaneuf with his once a game stupid penalty
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Maybe we won't even have to hit him and therefore avoid a penalty

(I never get tired of watching this)
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

me either, especially when i'm on the green, if you know what i mea.