GDT: Stars @ Canucks - 7pm - SNET-HD

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

GDT: Stars @ Canucks - 7pm - SNET-HD

Post by Cornuck »

The team has a few days off to enjoy their big win against the Habs, now it's looking like another Jekyll and Hyde start to a season. Most likely Daniel will be out with a bruised bone on his ankle.

Dallas has picked up points in each game this year, so we might be in for a challenge. Will we see Auld in net for the Stars? Of course, we get to watch the great coaching skills of Marc Crawford tonight as well. :roll:

NHL.com Preview

THN.com TooT

GO CANUCKS GO!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
WpgJets
CC Veteran

Re: GDT: Stars @ Canucks - 7pm - SNET-HD

Post by WpgJets »

Canucks play a safe game tonight because of the line adjustments. Luongo lets in one softie early, but shuts the door after that. 3-1 Canucks, Bernier, Wellwood and Johnson.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

That two on one sure would have felt nice right about now. Hank butchered that shot, for sure.
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

Salo leaves the game with a lower body injury. That didn't take long.
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

4-3 canucks in a shoot out.

I thought it was a bit of a sloppy win for the 'nucks. At times we had sustained pressure but then Dallas did as well. More hitting than usual, and Rypien scoring the first goal (for the wrong team) was a wee bit of a boo boo. On the other hand, Turco tried for payback be giving the puck to Raymond all alone in the slot (although Raymond couldn't convert).

Henrik had a strong game in the absence of his brother. Henrik's confidence with the puck and stickhandling is getting better all the time. The Sedin's are still slow and always will be, but they really are exceptional players. (Yes, Henrik missed the good setup from Samuelson, but Turco made an unbelievable save).

Kesler is starting to step it up. There are positive signs, but the injury bug (Demitra, Daniel, Schneider, and now Salo (?)) is starting to pile up.

Given the shot totals and the shootout results, one might say Louie outplayed Turco. Louie made some good saves, but he still isn't in November form (getting better though).

All things considered, the right team won.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

You got it, Jelly.

I thought that Hank would have a bit of a depression without Daniel, and while he still might in the future, it certainly wasn't evident tonight. Still the set-up machine, and while Turco robbed him of a goal, he was arguably the best Canuck on the ice.

Kudos to Jamie Benn (fellow Islander/Victoria boy and Peninsula Minor Hockey product) for tying it up, but thankfully the right team came away with two points.

Desbiens needs to get back to Manitoba. Bring up someone skilled please.

Otherwise, good job on 'greasin one out' boys. Need another 10-14 of those and we'll be in good shape...
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Desbiens needs to get back to Manitoba. Bring up someone skilled please.
Yes, WellFed looks even less effective with plumbers as linemates than ever. I'm hopeful that they want to give Shirokov and Grabner more time to gain confidence in Manitoba before bringing them back up. I don't mind keeping Glass where he is but Desbiens looked lost. :mad:
Broda
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Broda »

the comments about Desbiens... those are pretty harsh i would think.. his first career NHL game... i'm sure he knows he didn't play his best game. I'm pretty confident "first game jiters" might have played a bit of a role there.
remember that whole Premature Evaluation thing we discussed from Duthie's blog..
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Grabner please. On the wing, on the top line, give him a few games to prove it. Why not see if the guy has something or even a hint of something while we're scrambling a bit for options. As I said in another post, Bernier just doesn't seem to have the game for the top six.
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

Leave Desbiens in for a couple games more and we'll see if he's ready for the big show. It was his first NHL game and he has size and speed. Its not as though Grabner has ever done anything when he has had a shot to play at NHL level to deserve a shot... and of course Shirikov is still available if Desbiens doesn't work out.. After a few games in the moose pasture he will be more used to the smaller ice surface and the north american game..
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

the toucan kid wrote:
Grabner please. On the wing, on the top line, give him a few games to prove it. Why not see if the guy has something or even a hint of something while we're scrambling a bit for options. As I said in another post, Bernier just doesn't seem to have the game for the top six.
So let's demote Bernier who has proven he can contribute at NHL level, and call up Grabner, who's only SOG in preseason was when the goalie left the net to catch the puck going wide to stop the play, to see if he can put up results?

Calling up Grabner is a direct slap in the face to Shirokov, If we are calling anyone up, it's Shirokov, and if he struggles again and Daniel/Demitra just isn't ready yet, THEN you look into bringing Grabner up.

Shirokov produced right away playing with the Moose.
Grabner, 4GP, 3G 1A, 4PTS +1 Played with the Moose last season. Invisible in Preseason against AHL/NHL players
Shirokov, 2GP, 1G 2A, 3PTS, +2 Fresh with the Moose. Played well in preseason against AHL/NHL players

Who should get the oppotunity?
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

So let's demote Bernier who has proven he can contribute at NHL level, and call up Grabner, who's only SOG in preseason was when the goalie left the net to catch the puck going wide to stop the play, to see if he can put up results?

Calling up Grabner is a direct slap in the face to Shirokov, If we are calling anyone up, it's Shirokov, and if he struggles again and Daniel/Demitra just isn't ready yet, THEN you look into bringing Grabner up.

Shirokov produced right away playing with the Moose.
Grabner, 4GP, 3G 1A, 4PTS +1 Played with the Moose last season. Invisible in Preseason against AHL/NHL players
Shirokov, 2GP, 1G 2A, 3PTS, +2 Fresh with the Moose. Played well in preseason against AHL/NHL players

Who should get the oppotunity?
Pre-season isn't a good indicator for anything. Grabner has had a good start playing actual games in the A, and had a pretty productive season last year. Shirokov, I'm glad to see has produced in the A, but had a tough time in the NHL, whereas Grabner has never had the shot. I don't rank Shirokov's successes in Russia as highly as Grabner's in the A because it's by most accounts, a different style of play.

Don't demote Bernier, just leave him in the role he started the year off with, the one that he's best suited to at the moment.

Again, to me Grabner has more of a track record than Shirokov, who just flopped (probably shouldn't have even been put in that position) and we should see what we have in the kid, at some point.
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

Grabner showed he was awsome last season in the AHL and the playoffs. AV even said he was impressed and was hoping Grabner could convert it in the NHL level. Grabner was given EVERY single oppotunity in the preseason, he couldn't delivery ANY results.

If Shirokov can produce at a better pace then Grabner in the AHL, in his first few games in the AHL. How is it that Grabner's better "track record" at a non-top notch league count to anything?
Shirokov played against Men on larger ice surface. Grabner played the same type of game as the NHL. Yet it was Grabner that couldn't do anything.

I'll say it again, Shirokov for a few games, struggle then you ship him back down and give Grabner a few games.
But there is no way am I going to accept Grabner getting first dibs. Unless Grabner is more willing to be physical and take hits and go to dirty areas, he'll be a career AHL player. And probably be an all star AHLer too.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Grabner showed he was awsome last season in the AHL and the playoffs. AV even said he was impressed and was hoping Grabner could convert it in the NHL level. Grabner was given EVERY single oppotunity in the preseason, he couldn't delivery ANY results.
And that awesomeness is worth less to you than Shirokov playing against a bunch of slugs and veterans not giving a shit?
I'll say it again, Shirokov for a few games, struggle then you ship him back down and give Grabner a few games.
While that's not unreasonable (I would just flip them around), I hope that whoever gets the call is given a solid few games up top to sink or swim.
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

Grabner lit it up last season in AHL,
came to NHL preseason and looked as bad as he can.

Your damn right Shirokov should get ahead of him, atleast Shirokov manage to hit the net when he shoots.