GDT: Canucks @ Flames - 7pm CBC-HD

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Flames - 7pm CBC-HD

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

The good news:
  • We still have 20 minutes left in the game.
  • The good guys seem to have woken up and are starting to move their feet. They outscored them 2-1...
  • Sammy showed a little jam after getting crosschecked in the back after scoring a goal and whacked the Phlegm...
That's all I got...
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

The 2nd was clearly better than the 1st, but this is reality and not preseason fairy tales.

Hope they have some luck now but the Flames soldiers looking strong and dangerous in contrary to their so called first line, i've seen nothing of Iginla or Jokinen so far...

2 goals and overtime are still possible if you want to be optimistic...

ps: and yes i hate friggin' Dion "The Ellbow" Phaneuf.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
displacednucksfan
CC Rookie

Post by displacednucksfan »

canucks need hit more. yes they score !!!!! playing a bit soft
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

I'm starting to hear some gasping from Calgary...
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

Opening night, Luongo starting as expected. Flames in their retro jerseys, I kinda wished the Canucks matched it with the skate jersey and it would really be something neat. Yes! The Calgary FIRE DEPARTMENT here to sing the national anthem, time to PUT OUT THE FLAMES! They really didn't think this out did they.

Refs being paided off for the first period? Or did they get a death threat from the fans before the game? I never liked Dan O'Halloran before and I hate him even more now. Jokien skated INTO Henrik's stick and Henrik gets a penalty. Flames shoot the puck into the stands from the defensive zone, no penalty, man, I wish I put some money on this rigged crap. Two taps on the stick gets Burrows two minutes in the box, isn't the rule where you actually have to hook the body for it to be a penalty?

- O'Brien gaff x 1, fanned a clearing attempt and pinned us in the zone for a whole minute. x2 Pinched hard to throw a hit, but he aimed his elbow at someone's head, looks like he's going for the league PIM leader award again. Has to take some responsibility on the 2nd PP goal as well, he was in the passing lane couple seconds before the pass, but he decided to move to the other side of the net before the puck carrier was even close to be behind the net.

- Mitchell's first clear on the PK somehow tells me that he has learned from that mistake in Chicago series, he controlled the puck, got his head up, looked for gap, THEN fire the puck.

- Bieksa was lazy on the 2nd PPGA, should've covered the passing lane as well. Is it miscommunication? Good for him going after Phaneuf at the end of the first period, would've been better if he lands a punch though. Bieksa just watched Prust walked to the front of the net and let him jam at Luongo for the goal. What, the, Fuck?

- Rypien was chasing the puck to the point too fast one the first PPG against, Don Cherry said it last year, team's PK systems are always collapsing on the net, and leaving the point man too much space will cost them, he was right once again. Rpyien didn't cover the man moving into shooting position, that costed us the 2nd PP goal, I'm not sure if he should have, but it definitely didn't look good.

- Salo and Kesler both didn't want the puck, and then it goes to Pardy and then back of the net. Great, just great. I'm very surprised Rypien and Hordichuk didn't start a fight after the second goal by the Flames, sure, the Flames players might not be responsive, but comon.

- Bernier, chances were there, but no finish for Bernier yet, providing a good screen on our first goal.

- Raymond playing a strong game, still blazing fast. Raymond has developed a physical side to his game, I love it.

- Shirokov had an okay game, a few chances, a missed quality chance, physical, took the beatings. He definitely deserves more look.

- Burrows doing what he does best, hard work, hard work, and hard work. Well deserved goal, great start to the 3rd.

- Phaneuf being a clown again, there was absolutely no need to hit Daniel Sedin with a couple seconds left. Like true Phaneuf style, he turtles and refuses to answer the bell. I can't wait till someone take him out for good, heck, if he dies from someone pounding his head in, I would enjoy it. Two cross checks on Kesler on the PK, knocking Kesler down, if that's not cross checking, then what is?

The team woke up in the third, dominated the play for the first 5 minutes, out shot the flames 10-0 in the process, a few chances, showed their might, but it was just a little too late.

Tough loss, lots of things learned, some positives that we need to grow on, like how we can dominate the play if we just turn our engines on.

Too depressed, Ima finish my whiskey bottle
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

That first was garbage, but I think playing together for the very first time might have had its rust. Got better as the game went on and I think if they can bring that Canuck team to Colorado and then back home we should be okay.

Kipper was outrageous in the third, probably stole them the game. Nice pick by Conroy to seal it.

Those refs had some rust too... lifting the stick is a hook apparently.

Was it just me or were those announcers just BRUTAL. Weekes was giving burrows credit, and the play by play guy pretty much cut him down. And Conroys pick: "That's great veteran savvy". Great.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Trippy, I could have sworn #28 was Paul Ranhiem......swear I saw Ric Nattress and Jamie Macoun out there as well. Was that Otto taking the draw?
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

ClamRussel wrote:Trippy, I could have sworn #28 was Paul Ranhiem......swear I saw Ric Nattress and Jamie Macoun out there as well. Was that Otto taking the draw?
yeah I tweeted that Iginla raided Lanny McDonald's closet prior to the game. :?

There were times when Phaneuf reminded me of a young lumbering Dana Murzyn too ...lol

Ugly first...better second...third was a nice play by Conroy. Too little too late. Game 1 over..

In the famous words of rapper Ice Cube "Life's not a track meet,it's a marathon" and so is the NHL regular season.

Let the pacing begin!
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

In one word " dissapointing".... the 3rd line showed up in the first period.. other than Mitchell the rest of the team didn't... or didn't know wtf to do on the ice .. Luongo didn't look good.. bahhhh the f*ing Flames demolished nucks ... Thought for the day.. " Are the Canucks too small for physical game"? maybe more talent but less toughness ? Ref's were terrible.. Shirikov looked nervous.... maybe bit because its his first game in the big show?? Samuelson looks like a win ... Bieksa shat the bed defensively.. ( Ollie come back.. we need someone to clear the guys from front of the net )... Did the Nucks get better in the next 2 periods.. perhaps.. but perhaps the Flames quit playing hard.. coz they had a 3 goal lead?... Kipper played a great game... Outstanding Canuck?... maybe Samuelsson?.. lousy way to start the season... but 3rd period proved they can play a hell of a lot better...
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Mikodat wrote:Thought for the day.. " Are the Canucks too small for physical game"? maybe more talent but less toughness ?
I thought that too. But when we lose Ohlund, Sundin, and Pyatt, but gain Samuelsson, Ehrhoff, and Shirokov, it's hard to say that we did. For now, I prefer to think that the Phlegms were just ready to play the game from the moment that puck was dropped - can't say the same for the Canucks.
Mikodat wrote:Samuelson looks like a win ...
Liked the jam he showed after scoring a goal and getting a two-hander across the back - he turned around and slashed the Calgary player...
Mikodat wrote:Bieksa shat the bed defensively..
Edler looked lost too, as did SOB.
Mikodat wrote:Did the Nucks get better in the next 2 periods.. perhaps.. but perhaps the Flames quit playing hard.. coz they had a 3 goal lead?...
I suspect they went into their defensive shell after being up 4-1; Sutter's influence seems to be having its effect - they played a good game in their own zone.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Yeah that first was pretty tough to sit through. No one was ready, so it's tough to rip anyone specifically.

With that in mind though, SOB looks like shit and better pick it up quick.

Samuellson was quite good. He, however, seems to have NO chemistry with Kesler. Might be a good idea to swap him and Raymond.

I liked the rush where Shirokov grabbed the puck and skated it down just to take a slap shot. Sort of a "well I have to get into this game somehow" moment. That's better than nothing.
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

SOB needs to be more physical in terms of putting out solid hits, but not go for the head of the other player.

He either has to learn that, or Rome will quickly take his spot, cause atleast Rome knows he's not Lidstrom and won't try to be Lidstrom like SOB tries to.

I expect Glass to be in for Hordichuk against the Avs, and maybe Rome for SOB, depending on AV's fantasy pool, does it count PIM?
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

the toucan kid wrote: With that in mind though, SOB looks like shit and better pick it up quick.
I'm not sure why SOB gets singled out as I remember more mistakes from Edler and Bieksa. Maybe even Salo made more mistakes than SOB. The first penalty of the game was a borderline call. He didn't really stick out his elbow but it was a bit of a headshot followthrough with his forearm. I'd be more concerned if the big minutes guys like Edler and Bieksa ever play like that again.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

From the Sun's article on the game...
"In Edmonton, he called me for diving," Burrows said. "[Tonight] he got me for hooking when I thought I got his stick. Sometimes you just have to tell them they're cute and refereed a good game and next game maybe he'll give you one."
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Cornuck wrote:From the Sun's article on the game...
"In Edmonton, he called me for diving," Burrows said. "[Tonight] he got me for hooking when I thought I got his stick. Sometimes you just have to tell them they're cute and refereed a good game and next game maybe he'll give you one."
yeah saw someone holding Edler's stick on the Flames and no call on that. It's kinda funny.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde