GDT - Canucks vs Oilers - Sunday September 27th 2009 5pm

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

trouble

GDT - Canucks vs Oilers - Sunday September 27th 2009 5pm

Post by trouble »

Where: Rexall Place
When: 5:00pm Pacific
TV: Not Available
Stream: [url="http://canucks.nhl.tv/"]Canucks.com / ATDHE.net
Radio: Team 1040

Canucks Roster

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Raymond - Wellwood - Bernier
Shirokov - Hodgson - Glass
Hordichuk - Rypien - Pope

Mitchell - Salo
Bieksa - Ehrhoff
O'Brien - Rome

Schneider (Full game)
Raycroft

Oilers Roster

Jacques - Horcoff - Hemsky
Penner - Comrie - O'Sullivan
Cogliano - Gagner - MacIntyre
Reddox - Brule - Stortini

Souray - Gilbert
Strudwick - Staios
Visnovsky - Smid

Khabibulin
Deslauriers
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: GDT - Canucks vs Oilers - Sunday September 27th 2009 5pm

Post by Jelly »

I'm not trying to be mean, but the oilers' PBP guy literally tries to describe every single play, and has to pause and think many times. GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH IN EDMONTON NEXT WEEK WHEN CALGARY FLAMES COME AND THE OILERS MAKE POTATO SALAD!! ...As if the Oilers had a better record then the Flames for the past 20 years right? /Facepalm. And I thought 7th man was lame.

Don't you love replays while the play is still going on? Real classy to put the kiss cam on Canucks players eh?

-Rome blew the coverage on the first goal, didn't play the body well, no excuse to not tying up Comrie. First noticeable mistake imo. Start a fight while we were in the offensive zone?
-Wellwood's foot speed got him another goal, O BOY, is he going to be exciting to watch this season.
-O'Brien didn't do much when Visnovsky stepped up and jumped past Raymond, could have laided a hit to take him out, but nope, try and be a Lidstrom and got burned. Should have cut off'ed the pass on the PP goal IMO. Looks like he's not even trying, did AV tell him that he's cut already? He's not playing physically, trying to be fancy and steal the puck from opponents on the boards. At this rate, I want O'Brien gone, he was semi-useful when he was physical.
-Shirokov drew a penalty and got two assist, woot. Shirokov + Sedins on the PP. IMO, a lock to make the roster.
-Salo's BULLET. That wasn't even a full stretch slap shot, it was a half slap. Man, he is lethal when he gets his chances closer to the net.
- Hodgson? Did he play? 4:41 in the first and 3:05 in the second. He was benched between the 8th and 15th minute of the second period. Ok, maybe I should be more harsh on him, first play in the 3rd and it results in a goal. Good pass.
- Hansen just cut up Brule, he's desperate to stay with the team, I didn't see this outta him last season.
- Burrows played well all night, just as expected, hard nose hockey. Gets cross checked in the face and gets called for diving. Woot.
- Schneider didn't play a bad game, but the numbers will hurt his chances, it's really up to the coaching staff now. My bet is on Raycroft getting the job.

Tough loss to swallow.
7-0-2
Last edited by Jelly on Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Rome and O'Brien look awful. No thanks to that pair. They need someone who is more heady to play with them. Props to Rome for dropping the mitts with Strudwick but I'm not sure he knew what he was getting into.

Sergei Shirokov should make this team. We need to see what this kid can do when the season starts.

I agree Jelly, Wellwood looks great. His entire line looks unbelievable.

The first (second?) Comrie goal from Hemsky was on Hordichuk. Tried to play the puck too.

That Hemsky, Horcoff, Jacques line looks good. Jacques into the areas Penner won't. Penner is also still very slow.

Edmonton PBP needs to learn it's Shirokov, not Shiropov. And he's really annoying. At least entertaining, unlike the radio we get. Ugh.
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

IMO, the PBP for Edmonton radio just doesn't have enough knowledge on how to do a good PBP.

For instance, he has to mention the name of the player A passing to player B, when 2 seconds ago, he already said player A's name.

Hughson/Shorthouse/Any other good PBP I've heard, would say something like, player A, cross ice to player B, now up to player C. sort of thing.

If you listen to a full clip of him VS Shorthouse on the same game, I think the difference would be so dramatic, it would be funny.
trouble

Post by trouble »

Jelly wrote:IMO, the PBP for Edmonton radio just doesn't have enough knowledge on how to do a good PBP.

For instance, he has to mention the name of the player A passing to player B, when 2 seconds ago, he already said player A's name.

Hughson/Shorthouse/Any other good PBP I've heard, would say something like, player A, cross ice to player B, now up to player C. sort of thing.

If you listen to a full clip of him VS Shorthouse on the same game, I think the difference would be so dramatic, it would be funny.
It's Edmonton.. LOL.. Everything and everyone are alittle slower.. It's all that polution coming from the oil sands
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Went to the game tonight. Erhoff looked very good. Shirokov impresses me more and more each time I see him. Another exceptional game. You can see that AV thinks quite a lot of him the way he is getting played. In fairness Hodgson did have a pretty good game, might be starting to find his legs. Jelly summed up the game pretty well. Another thing though - Shirokov got 2nd star - seems he really wants to get spot on this team. Oh man, one more thing - the Hansen fight was awesome - he blew away Brule at the start but then Brule got a few good ones in near the end. Either a draw or goes to Hansen. Hansen did leave the game a little later - not sure if he is injured........

Hey now Trouble, easy on the blanket Edmontonian bashing. There are a lot of Native British Columbians here for work... Not everyone can stay in the paradise on the West side of the Rockies.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
trouble

Post by trouble »

DonCherry4PM wrote:Went to the game tonight. Erhoff looked very good. Shirokov impresses me more and more each time I see him. Another exceptional game. You can see that AV thinks quite a lot of him the way he is getting played. In fairness Hodgson did have a pretty good game, might be starting to find his legs. Jelly summed up the game pretty well. Another thing though - Shirokov got 2nd star - seems he really wants to get spot on this team. Oh man, one more thing - the Hansen fight was awesome - he blew away Brule at the start but then Brule got a few good ones in near the end. Either a draw or goes to Hansen. Hansen did leave the game a little later - not sure if he is injured........

Hey now Trouble, easy on the blanket Edmontonian bashing. There are a lot of Native British Columbians here for work... Not everyone can stay in the paradise on the West side of the Rockies.

I have a very weird sence of humor... I should have said... Some of the Edmontonians
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

I think it's the Edmontonians that are born there, not the transplant ones.

much like how I hate some people in Vancouver, and after I ask where they are from, they said Toronto.

I'm serious
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Jelly wrote:Hughson/Shorthouse/Any other good PBP I've heard, would say something like, player A, cross ice to player B, now up to player C. sort of thing.
Hughson is one of the game's best. Jim Robson will always be a legend.