GDT 09/23 - Sharks @ Canucks, 7:00PM Sportsnet/CDC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

trouble

GDT 09/23 - Sharks @ Canucks, 7:00PM Sportsnet/CDC

Post by trouble »

Where: G.M. Place
When: 7:00pm Pacific
TV: Sportsnet Pacific
Stream: Canucks.com
Radio: Team 1040

Canucks Roster

Burrows - Hodgson - Kesler
Hordichuk - Scatchard - Hansen
Raymond - Bolduc - Pope
Glass - Bliznak - Bernier

Funk - Edler
Oberg - Lukowich
Sauve - Bieksa

Luongo (Full game)
Raycroft?

Sharks Roster

Ferriero - Thornton - Setoguchi
Marleau - Pavelski - Clowe
McLaren - Malhotra - Ortmeyer
Shelley - Nichol - Staubitz

Murray - Demers
Joslin - Blake
Huskins - Callahan

Nabokov
Greiss

CDC PreviewThe Canucks look to continue their preseason streak Wednesday night as the San Jose Sharks visit GM Place.

Vancouver currently holds the best record in the League going 5-0-0 in their first five outings this year.

Their most recent victory over the Calgary Flames didn't come as easily as their previous wins. The Canucks held the lead for the majority of the game but let a three-goal deficit go and trailed by a goal late in third before Daniel Sedin scored the game-tying goal with .02 seconds remaining on the clock.

The Canucks forced overtime and eventually a shootout, where Daniel, once again played hero to help the Canucks to their fifth consecutive win.

The San Jose Sharks are 2-2-0 in their preseason campaign so far with both wins coming in extra time (once in OT and once in a shootout).

Newcomer, Dany Heatley made his Sharks debut Saturday, where the Sharks beat the Phoenix Coyotes 5-4 in OT.

The Canucks and Sharks met just five days earlier where Vancouver came out victors with a convincing 6-2 win at the HP Pavillion.

Henrik Sedin had four points (2-2-4) and Daniel added three (1-2-3) on the night. Rookie, Sergei Shirokov registered two assists skating on a line with the Twins and former Shark, Christian Ehrhoff contributed with a goal and an assist.

The game can be seen on Canucks.com at 7:00pm PST or on Rogers Sportsnet.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: GDT 09/23 - Sharks @ Canucks, 7:00PM Sportsnet/CDC

Post by dr.dork »

I posted this about 2 minutes after trouble, so I deleted my thread but here is the content. I thought Scatchard was doubtful but maybe trouble found a recent roster.

Preview at: LINK

The big question is: can the Canucks get to 6-0 ??

Not 100% sure of the roster yet, but apparently it will be Louie in net. Hansen will be playing (http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Jann ... story.html) and needs to impress if we wants to take his spot back. Kes, Burr and Hodgson will form a line along with the formidable Raymond/Bolduc/Pope, and Glass/Bliznak/Bernier. Rounding out the lines will be Hansen/Hordi and maybe Scatchard although he may miss the game because of injury in which case Grabner will likely be in (and the lines probably shifted around).

On D it appears to be Bieksa, Edler, Lukowich, Funk, Oberg and Sauve.

Heatley isn't playing (according to the Sun this morning).

Go Canucks Go
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

I can't wait till game time, and it's only preseason.

None of my friends are even remotely interested in Hockey
Looks like I'll be watching this alone again.
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Interesting for the Kes/Bur/Hodgson combo alone.
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

Too bad Scats couldn't play, Hodgson/Kesler/Burrows could be one combo we would see on opening night.

I was expecting the Sharks to carry most of the play from the start, but AV has proven once again that he knows what he's doing, starting with an energy line of Burrows/Hordichuk/Hansen that got the crowd into it.

The first period was quite quiet aside from Luongo making his first save lying on the ice, much like Captain Kirk in the 94' playoffs, stacked pads and all, but that was because Joe Thornton got him with his stick. Couple of potential break aways that either Glass or Burrows got their hands on.

Mike Ricci's hair is STILL terrible.

Credit Ferriero's goals to himself, bad bounce for the Canucks on the first one, the second one is him being in the right place at the right time, Cheechoo #2?

If Hodgson stays in the NHL, unless he has another gear for the regular season, he won't be able to do much. Hodgson isn't Sundin slow, but he's closer to it then what he should be at. Either he's not at 100% or he needs to build more strength, he was just pushed off the puck from a Sharks defensemen. Men against boys style. He needs to skate harder.

Raymond played ok, still need to use his speed better. Showed better instincts around the goal mouth, and gets rewarded with the goal. A great move in the shoot out, definitely using his speed confuse the goalie.

Hansen has had a solid game, providing good support in the offensive zone, and had a good block shot on the PK. But that penalty that led to the 2-0 goal, puts him back even with the others on the chopping block. He has redeemed himself to be in contention for a spot on the roster, but he needs to keep it up in order to convince AV and MG.

Grabner is trying, but he just can't manage to get the puck on the net, not even close to getting it on the net. Even Hordichuk hit the net from the red line on the boards. Bobbled the first good scoring chance, he's gotta get that from his feet to his stick, Shirokov style. Visibly benched in the 3rd period, either he's injuried or he's going back to Manitoba for sure. Gets his shot again in OT, even though Nabokov gloved his shot, it was FAR from the net, the shot was way off target again. Man, is he the Ricky Vaughn http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097815/ of hockey? Someone get him some glasses

Glass keeps playing like this, it'll be hard to deny him a shot as the 13th forward, hard working, good wheels, and doesn't give up easily. What a shot. Hard work DOES reward.

Like Glass, Bernier played a very strong physical game tonight, had his chances, good power moves around the net, and gets rewarded on an assist on Glass's goal. (Glasses, LOL)

Edler showed a lot of poise, pulling that back and getting a clear shot through, definitely has more confidence. A year ago I would have expected him to either bobbled it or just shoot it into the defender. Sick move in the shoot out, SICK, another sign that he is up another notch on the confidence level from last year.

Looks like Luongo is already in his mid season form with some of the saves in the 3rd period, and definitely those in OT. Let's hope this carries into the season.

I had to retype this,
Canucks, showing us that, they can win, any ways you want it. Domination by scoring? Check, tight defensive effort? Check, Battle and fight and never say die? Check.
How amazing is it? With out over half of our roster, we beat the defending President Trophy Champion, from behind. Not against their back up, but against their starter.
trouble

Post by trouble »

When i posted todays lineups.. I was like holy crap we are gonna get the snot kicked out of us, and after watching the first two periods i was like, who is gonna do the scoring for this team tonight..

Well as you all know already the Canucks had some fight in them and came back to win.. Great job guys !!!!

Hodgson And Grabner at this point in the preseason are NOT ready for the NHL.. I was like most of you and hoping these top draft picks were gonna show their stuff.. They look like they are scared out there.. Are we expecting two much from these young guys? Hodgson Does not have the strength or the wheels to play at this level. Lets hope he is still hurt...

At this point The Canucks have 2 options on Hodgson.. He either makes the team or he goes back to Junior.. He can not play In the AHl yet.. Strange rule but what ever... I say let him stay for the 9 regular season games and then send him back to Junior,

Grabner is no where close to being NHL ready.. Real shame, I had high hopes for him this year after the numbers he put up on the Moose.. He needs to be sent down on the next round of cuts

My 2 cents
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Ok, it's great to be 6-0 in preseason, even if means next to nothing.

What I'll take out this so far is:

1) Scoring by committee still seems to be working.
2) Only 11 goals against in 6 games - team is being responsible on defense.
3) Not many obvious cuts - good depth, and people challenging each other for spots.
4) By most accounts Lu is bypassing his traditional slow start.
5) Team is finding ways to win
6) Team is winning shootouts

Injuries to Shirokov and Schneider are giving even more opportunities to the prospects.

This has to be the best pre-season in Canucks history - not just for the wins, but for the 'just-who-the-hell-will-be-our-starting-lineup' factor.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

Cornuck wrote:Ok, it's great to be 6-0 in preseason, even if means next to nothing.

3) Not many obvious cuts - good depth, and people challenging each other for spots.

Injuries to Shirokov and Schneider are giving even more opportunities to the prospects.

This has to be the best pre-season in Canucks history - not just for the wins, but for the 'just-who-the-hell-will-be-our-starting-lineup' factor.
BANG ON.
I don't remember a time in the past 15 seasons where I am so happy about the commitment from our GM towards the continuation of success of the franchise. Sure, Gillis hasn't given has any exciting deadlines, but that's his mojo.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Cornuck wrote:Ok, it's great to be 6-0 in preseason, even if means next to nothing.

Nice nice.
I never get crazy during the preseason because of the lack of depth we had in the prospect pool. This year is a different story. I'm excited,first time since the late 90s pool of Sedin, Holden, Druken, Schaefer, Muckalt...etc etc. This tops that.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde