GDT: Calgary @ Vancouver

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

GDT: Calgary @ Vancouver

Post by dr.dork »

7:00 PM, SNET HD, Team1040

Calgary is 2-2, Vancouver a perfect 4-0. Can't get too excited about preseason matchups, but this one might be interesting. Burrows is expected to play with the Sedin's tonight. Shirokov is injured. Grabner has been repeatedly called out, and although he has looked speedy at times he hasn't been very effective. May already be too late for him, but if he ever wants a call up he better wake the f' up.

I plan on watching just to see what's up with these fLames. Will also be able to see Hodgson.

The lineup, according to http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=499288 should feature:

Burrows with the Twins
Grabner, Hodgson and Bernier

Schneider in goal

I still can't find an lineup other than the names indicated above.

Go Canucks Go.
trouble

Re: GDT: Calgary @ Vancouver

Post by trouble »

Where : GM Place
When : Monday September 21st 2009 7:00pm
TV : Sportsnet Pacific
Radio : Team 1040 http://www.team1040.ca/player/

Canucks Starting Line-up

Forwards:
Daniel - Henrik - Burrows
Raymond - Wellwood - Parrish
Grabner - Hodgson - Bernier
Labrie - Rypien - Glass

Defense:
Ehrhoff - Ramsey
Mitchell - Salo
O'Brien - Rome

Goalie:
Schneider
Flames Starting Line-up

Forwards :
Bourque - Jokinen - Dawes
Glencross - Langkow - Fleury
Sjostrom - Lundmark - Sutter
Nystrom - Backlund - Prust

Defense :
Bouwmeester - Regeher
Giordano - Sarich
Pardy - Kronwall

Goalie :
McElhinney
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Nice, Theo Fleury with langkow. Will be fun, too bad Kipper isn't playing...
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Sutter on RW?!? Which Sutter is that?
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

ClamRussel wrote:Sutter on RW?!? Which Sutter is that?
I'm guessing this one - From the basement of the depth chart.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
trouble

Post by trouble »

ClamRussel wrote:Sutter on RW?!? Which Sutter is that?

Brett Sutter

Brett Sutter (born June 2, 1987 in Viking, Alberta) is a Canadian professional ice hockey player for the Abbotsford Heat of the American Hockey League (AHL). Sutter was drafted by the Calgary Flames in the 6th round, 179th overall, in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft. He made his National Hockey League (NHL) debut for the Flames during the 2008–09 season, scoring a goal in his first game. He is the son of Darryl Sutter, and the eighth member of the famous Sutter family to play in the NHL.
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

- Wellwood, especially shown in the last two games, is a lot faster, a lot more willing to battle for the puck, and what surprises me is that he uses his stick handling skills to win the puck battles very well. Very deserved Penalty shot, and looks like he'll be a lock in our shoot out line up as long as he doesn't play poorly that game. Yet, he showed how lazy he can be with that lame shoot out attempt

- Bernier is faster, his shot accuracy is still, not there, we need that machine in The Fly to fuse his body with Shirokov's shooting skills and we'd have our perfect linemate for the twins.

- Raymond is faster, if you can believe it, and STRONGER, I haven't seen him fall to the ice because of puck battling once in the preseason, and that is something I am very excited about. Drive to the net and you get a goal, do it Mason, do it often!

- Grabner was given plenty of chances, manning the point on the PP with the Twins, two wide open chances on the PP in the middle of the second period, couldn't hit the net.... :| Graner still at the point in a 3-3 tie? comon AV, STILL at the point down a goal??? and STILL misses the net?? Sure the game doesn't matter, but comon AV.

- Hodgson, same as Graber, given PP time with the twins, nothing really showed, definitely needs to work on his skating, but that's something that can be taught in time. He can't go to AHL, he shouldn't go back to Junior, but I just can't see do well enough to warrant a roster spot. Can we "loan" him to the KHL, I'm not joking, a season of development playing against men (somewhat second tier compared to NHL, but should be a step above the AHL) could do him "some" good. LOL, Garrett and Shorthouse was just discussing the exception rule for Hodgson after I typed this.

- Henrik's vision, if it's possible, has gotten even better this off season. That behind the back pass to Daniel, who shot it over the net at the door steps, is sick. SICK.

- Daniel seems more physical? Or is it just residual from the play off games? Is that possible that our top sniper has developed a more physical side to his game? Wouldn't that be nice. The confidence of coming in to score after one being waived in the dying seconds of a game, that determination and desperation level is something alike Game 6 in Chicago.

- Parrish is in a bad spot. We don't have the room for Parrish, but he should end up with a team this year, Atlanta? He provides nothing more then Samuelsson will, and Parrish is the one that doesn't have a 3 year contract, sucks for him.

- Schneider didn't play too badly. I have a feeling that he's the type of goalie that needs a lot of action to keep him in the game, the Flames certainly didn't provide much action the first two periods. First goal was just bull crap, Glencross tripped Rome with a leg drag, the non call is fine by me, but the goal should have been waived off. The second one he could've had, but that'd be in Luongo's tier in terms of goaltending IMO. The third one, wait, what third one? 4 on 3, can't exactly blame him. But that's one of saves you need to make if you want to be an NHL starter.

-O'Brien's brain freeze moment in the late first period was scary, but atleast he got that out of his system in the preseason. That moment certainly didn't help his cause to stick to the team.

- Salo needs to use his cannon more, he's afraid of his own power, incase he hurts someone, I don't blame him, but his cannon is one of our most threatening weapon. Maybe he's holding back because he's afraid of an injury to his shoulder? Who knows, time will tell. Maybe I'll ask him next time he comes into my shop. Did he get hurt during the PP in OT? The way he twisted to try and grab the puck out of the air is exactly the kind of the glass boy injuries that he is prone to.

- Ehrhoff has given our team a dimension that we did not have last season, his speed overcompensates for his once a while defensive gaff, and his offensive game will be another thing on the opposing coaches' mind. Gillis wasn't kidding when he said he expects 200 points out of our defense.

- Ramsey has gotten a lot more ice time then I expected, I get scared every time he touches the puck. I'd rather have Oberg play instead of him, but I guess we need the warm bodies.

- Rome played like a #6 defenseman, no big screw ups, no fancy stuff, I like him. He and Oberg would definitely be fighting for the last spot in the 3rd pairing next season, if not this season. Rome played really well in that PP in the OT, letting the other 3 doing most of the work, but chipping in as needed. Did very well being the defensively responsible on on the ice.

- Glass reminds me of when Burrows first games, works hard, skates hard, doesn't give up. I hope he continues that on the Moose and could challenge for a bottom 6 spot as soon as next training camp IMO.

Penalties were whack, Parrish didn't do anything, other then to forecheck a Flames player who lost his own balance trying to stop. Erhrhoff was being ran through by a Flames player and he was called for interference? Maybe I'm a homer, but he had no chance to get out of the way, the guy chipped the puck over his shoulder and then ran into him. Sjostrom got screwed by the Refs trying to even it up for the Canucks... typical NHL refereeing.. trying to make things "exciting".

We got jipped on the Raymond's 2nd goal. Flames goaltender didn't even know where the puck was, the referee didn't even know where it was. There's gotta be more time between when a Ref loses sight of the puck, and the stoppage of play. None the less.......

And Daniel just OWNED :shock: the Flames. I can't type faster then their awsomeness. 10 seconds left, face off in neutral zone, and we tie it up. This goal is up there with Cooke's tying goals against the Flames in Game 7, and against Minnesota in Game 1.
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
trouble

Post by trouble »

Jelly wrote:- Wellwood, especially shown in the last two games, is a lot faster, a lot more willing to battle for the puck, and what surprises me is that he uses his stick handling skills to win the puck battles very well. Very deserved Penalty shot, and looks like he'll be a lock in our shoot out line up as long as he doesn't play poorly that game. Yet, he showed how lazy he can be with that lame shoot out attempt

- Bernier is faster, his shot accuracy is still, not there, we need that machine in The Fly to fuse his body with Shirokov's shooting skills and we'd have our perfect linemate for the twins.

- Raymond is faster, if you can believe it, and STRONGER, I haven't seen him fall to the ice because of puck battling once in the preseason, and that is something I am very excited about. Drive to the net and you get a goal, do it Mason, do it often!

- Grabner was given plenty of chances, manning the point on the PP with the Twins, two wide open chances on the PP in the middle of the second period, couldn't hit the net.... :| Graner still at the point in a 3-3 tie? comon AV, STILL at the point down a goal??? and STILL misses the net?? Sure the game doesn't matter, but comon AV.

- Hodgson, same as Graber, given PP time with the twins, nothing really showed, definitely needs to work on his skating, but that's something that can be taught in time. He can't go to AHL, he shouldn't go back to Junior, but I just can't see do well enough to warrant a roster spot. Can we "loan" him to the KHL, I'm not joking, a season of development playing against men (somewhat second tier compared to NHL, but should be a step above the AHL) could do him "some" good. LOL, Garrett and Shorthouse was just discussing the exception rule for Hodgson after I typed this.

- Henrik's vision, if it's possible, has gotten even better this off season. That behind the back pass to Daniel, who shot it over the net at the door steps, is sick. SICK.

- Daniel seems more physical? Or is it just residual from the play off games? Is that possible that our top sniper has developed a more physical side to his game? Wouldn't that be nice. The confidence of coming in to score after one being waived in the dying seconds of a game, that determination and desperation level is something alike Game 6 in Chicago.

- Parrish is in a bad spot. We don't have the room for Parrish, but he should end up with a team this year, Atlanta? He provides nothing more then Samuelsson will, and Parrish is the one that doesn't have a 3 year contract, sucks for him.

- Schneider didn't play too badly. I have a feeling that he's the type of goalie that needs a lot of action to keep him in the game, the Flames certainly didn't provide much action the first two periods. First goal was just bull crap, Glencross tripped Rome with a leg drag, the non call is fine by me, but the goal should have been waived off. The second one he could've had, but that'd be in Luongo's tier in terms of goaltending IMO. The third one, wait, what third one? 4 on 3, can't exactly blame him. But that's one of saves you need to make if you want to be an NHL starter.

-O'Brien's brain freeze moment in the late first period was scary, but atleast he got that out of his system in the preseason. That moment certainly didn't help his cause to stick to the team.

- Salo needs to use his cannon more, he's afraid of his own power, incase he hurts someone, I don't blame him, but his cannon is one of our most threatening weapon. Maybe he's holding back because he's afraid of an injury to his shoulder? Who knows, time will tell. Maybe I'll ask him next time he comes into my shop. Did he get hurt during the PP in OT? The way he twisted to try and grab the puck out of the air is exactly the kind of the glass boy injuries that he is prone to.

- Ehrhoff has given our team a dimension that we did not have last season, his speed overcompensates for his once a while defensive gaff, and his offensive game will be another thing on the opposing coaches' mind. Gillis wasn't kidding when he said he expects 200 points out of our defense.

- Ramsey has gotten a lot more ice time then I expected, I get scared every time he touches the puck. I'd rather have Oberg play instead of him, but I guess we need the warm bodies.

- Rome played like a #6 defenseman, no big screw ups, no fancy stuff, I like him. He and Oberg would definitely be fighting for the last spot in the 3rd pairing next season, if not this season. Rome played really well in that PP in the OT, letting the other 3 doing most of the work, but chipping in as needed. Did very well being the defensively responsible on on the ice.

- Glass reminds me of when Burrows first games, works hard, skates hard, doesn't give up. I hope he continues that on the Moose and could challenge for a bottom 6 spot as soon as next training camp IMO.

Penalties were whack, Parrish didn't do anything, other then to forecheck a Flames player who lost his own balance trying to stop. Erhrhoff was being ran through by a Flames player and he was called for interference? Maybe I'm a homer, but he had no chance to get out of the way, the guy chipped the puck over his shoulder and then ran into him. Sjostrom got screwed by the Refs trying to even it up for the Canucks... typical NHL refereeing.. trying to make things "exciting".

We got jipped on the Raymond's 2nd goal. Flames goaltender didn't even know where the puck was, the referee didn't even know where it was. There's gotta be more time between when a Ref loses sight of the puck, and the stoppage of play. None the less.......

And Daniel just OWNED :shock: the Flames. I can't type faster then their awsomeness. 10 seconds left, face off in neutral zone, and we tie it up. This goal is up there with Cooke's tying goals against the Flames in Game 7, and against Minnesota in Game 1.

Nice break down of the players.. The Canucks prospects did not look good tonight
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Nice recap, Jelly. I agree on Wellwood, and it was very evident off the rush. He was just there for every pass into Calgary's zone. His improved speed and his natural smarts did him well last night. He could have had another goal pretty easily. (And his stick handling is very good). He is quickly earning himself a spot on this team.

Hodgson seemed like an older kid playing with men, which is what he is. He will get at least 9 regular season games before we need to decide.

We do seem to be a faster team. I agree it doesn't look like Raymond has lost any speed.

O'Brien. The two games I've seen him (Terrace and last night) he seems to be trying to hard to impress the coaches. Quit trying to show off your poise and skills with the puck because when you screw up it looks really bad. If he just played his own game he would be fine. On the other hand, wasn't it O'Brien that sprung Wellwood into his breakaway (which ultimately lead to the penalty shot) ? That was a good play and although it wasn't an assist it lead to the first goal.

For long stretches we completely dominated Calgary. Calgary was outshot and outplayed for the most part, but they almost managed to steal it. In the end, we sort of stole it back...
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

I'm actually glad we didn't just blow Calgary out.

Now there's something the coaching staff can use to motivate/ make the team work harder for the start of the season.

How about the Sedins, 5 points in 2 games each, on pace for..... 205 points each! /pipedream
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

How about the Sedins, 5 points in 2 games each, on pace for..... 205 points each! /pipedream
That's okay, there's a lot of that going on around here.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

the toucan kid wrote:
That's okay, there's a lot of that going on around here.

:cry: :cry:
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

:cry: :cry:
:| :| :| - that's me.
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

don't be so down, if I halved my "projection" and round it down to 100 point season only,

would we be happier?

:twisted:
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Obviously anything that happens in pre-season with respect to wins and losses is nearly irrelevant... you could, for example, coincidently face everyone else's prospects roster when you've dressed mostly starters.

What I liked was Daniel saying that he and Hank didn't play all that well on a night where Daniel had two goals in regulation (including the tying goal at the horn) and one in the shootout. They seem to have set their sights where we want them.