The Next Ones: Sidney Crosby vs. Phil Kessel

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

The 2005 Draft is today... your #1 pick would be?

Sidney Crosby
100%
Phil Kessel
No votes
Gilbert Brule
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 11

jchockey
MVP
MVP

The Next Ones: Sidney Crosby vs. Phil Kessel

Post by jchockey »

Sidney Crosby
DOB: 8/7/87, Darmouth, NS
HT 5-11
WT 193

Stats

Code: Select all

Year Team            GP   G   A   Pts   +/-      PIM
03-04 Canada        6    2    3     5  +4       4
03-04 Rimouski     59    54  81   135  +49     74
03-04 Rimouski      9    7    9    16   +5     13
04-05 Canada        6    6    3     9   +4      4
04-05 Rimouski     62    66 102   168  +78     84
Notes: Canada's 'Next One'.... Won 3 awards for the QMJHL this past year.... looking to turn pro in Europe....Lone player U18 to be invited to the Canadian WJHC camp....is the youngest player to score in WJHC history at 16 years, 4 months, 24 days

Phil Kessel
DOB 10/02/87 Madison, Wisconsin
HT 6-0
WT 185

Stats

Code: Select all

Year Team     GP     G   A    Pts    +/-     PIM
04-05 USNTDP  32    30  32    62     -       25
04-05 USA     6      9  7     16     9        2
Notes: http://insidecollegehockey.com/7Archive ... l_0245.htm The US have already claimed Phil Kessel as their next NCAA marquee player.... Led all players in goals and tied for second in overall scoring in the 2005 WJHCs....Broke the USNTDP record with 52 goals, previous record of 43 held by former Michigan St. star Adam Hall....has committed to the Minnesota Golden Gophers hockey program....QMJHL rights owned by Saginaw Spirit....

the tsn report on the 2 players today caught my attention, and i still think crosby's the superior player right now, even with the lack of defense in the q. phil kessel may become a great scorer one day though.... what do you think?
AxelM
AHL Prospect

Post by AxelM »

Kessel is not eligable until 2006...Hes younger than Crosby..Crosby has superior talent though but Kessel is bigger and faster and more of a goalscorer. I would pick Crosby
westvandal
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by westvandal »

I would still pick Crosby but if the draft combines like it appears, than Kessel is looking like a DAMN good consolation prize. What a crazy draft it'll be.
E1-E4 = I made it up.
E5 = Found it on tsn.
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

I believe that the two are only about six months apart, Kessel birthday is after the September deadline. Crosby plays in a much higher and tougher league than U18 league that Kessel plays in.
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Crosby for sure ... but I also like Dion Phaneuf ... he has looked really solid from what i have seen ... will likely be a major building block and cornerstone to build an NHL franchise around ... lucky for Calgary.

Grizz
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

That Phaneuf man is some great looking propect. Listen to the game Ice V's Rockets it was interesting to hear the commentator state that Sutter has said he wants to make his team bigger and more Canadian. I don't think that means actual Canadian rather a more Canadian style.

Kessel looked good in the World U-18 but it was quite a bit of between the skates and fancy moves when he went one on one and he will not get the chance to do that in the NHL. He plays NCAA next season so even there he won't get the physical challenge he would in the WHL even. I frankly don't think Crosby would get the same number of points if he was playing in the WHL. Defensemen just don't poke check in the Dub. Both great looking players and maybe I'm wrong maybe they are both a tough as nails. The point is with Kessels for sure and Crosby a lesser degree but they have not been tempered in tough league
cheers
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

Fred wrote: I frankly don't think Crosby would get the same number of points if he was playing in the WHL. Defensemen just don't poke check in the Dub.
Big tough Western boys are a time a dozen, look at six of the seven defensemen for this year WJ's were Western boys.

Watching here in Kelowna Shea Weber after his injury is now playing like a man amung boys. Crosby wouldn't have near the room on the ice against WHL defensemen.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

The point is with Kessels for sure and Crosby a lesser degree but they have not been tempered in tough league
Thats why i like Phaneuf ... big strong kid ... plays physical ... booming shot and seems to have a decent awareness offensively as well.

Grizz
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Jovorock wrote:
Fred wrote: Big tough Western boys are a time a dozen, look at six of the seven defensemen for this year WJ's were Western boys.

Watching here in Kelowna Shea Weber after his injury is now playing like a man amung boys. Crosby wouldn't have near the room on the ice against WHL defensemen.
I wouldn't say Big Defensemen are a dime a dozen or the NHL would be full of them. But the no nonsense brand they play in the Dub is in big demand. I can say this of the games I've seen in the "Q" i have yet to see any "D" resmbling either Phaneuff or any of the others slelcted for the WJC
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Jovorock wrote:
Fred wrote: Big tough Western boys are a time a dozen, look at six of the seven defensemen for this year WJ's were Western boys.

I wouldn't say Big Defensemen are a dime a dozen or the NHL would be full of them. But the no nonsense brand they play in the Dub is in big demand. I can say this of the games I've seen in the "Q" i have yet to see any "D" resmbling either Phaneuff or any of the others slelcted for the WJC
cheers