So are RFA the next target

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Fred
CC Legend

So are RFA the next target

Post by Fred »

I'm just wondering if Gillis intends to send out some offer sheets to get the guy he wants. Similar to the Backes offer last summer. Colby Armstrong is still be to signed by Atlanta maybe he wants more than they are willing to pay, how about Ryan Clowe with the Sharks
cheers
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Re: So are RFA the next target

Post by jchockey »

I think if we're to add any more quality to this roster it'll have to be that way. Or maybe through trades.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

I think it will have to be trades. Teams tend to keep their assets unless you blow them away. Armstrong might cost more than 2.7 or whatever, and therefore we give up a first-rounder. I wouldn't make that move straight up.
hoopsjunky
CC Rookie

Post by hoopsjunky »

I posted the new RFA compensation levels on my site:

http://canuckshockeyblog.com/?p=1414

We don't have our 2nd round pick in 2010 (Bernier deal) so an offer sheet between $1,506,717 and $3,013,433 is out of the question.

I'm intrigued by guys like Cam Barker and Phil Kessel but are they worth more than $3,013,433 PLUS a first round and a third round pick (or more)?
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

the toucan kid wrote:I think it will have to be trades. Teams tend to keep their assets unless you blow them away. Armstrong might cost more than 2.7 or whatever, and therefore we give up a first-rounder. I wouldn't make that move straight up.
Any one can make an offer to a RFA Player with an offer sheet as I understand ??? it costs nothing again to my knowledge
cheers
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

You can make the offer, but if you take the player the compensation is pretty stiff. The above post probably has the details, Fred.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Duh, yeah, I forget about the compensation picks
cheers
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Here's my WISHLIST.

Travis Zajac
Phil Kessel
Colby Armstrong
Matt Hunwick
Drew Stafford
Cam Barker
Kris Versteeg
Brandon Dubinsky
Ryan Clowe (although Elliotte Friedman's twitter post says there's an agreement between him and the Sharks)
Shaone Morrison

As for needing our second round pick back, that could be done. Gillis could always arrange a trade to get the 2nd back from Buffalo, kind of like how Tampa tried to do so last year. Whether Buffalo would be willing to do it is a different story.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Cannie
CC Veteran

Post by Cannie »

Cam Barker and M-A Bergeron would be the two I'd like to see on the Canucks defense. Barker would cost us draft picks, but THN says that the next 2 draft years are relatively weak (especially 2011), so maybe this is the time to go after some RFAs.

Is Beauchemin still unsigned? Do we offer him 3+ million/yr and fill out our forward roster with cheap alternatives, and hope Hodgson and Grabner are effective this year in making the leap?

Do we look to trade Schneider (assuming Luongo's signing is imminent)?

Luckily, I DO trust Mike Gillis and his crew right now. Don't steer us wrong!

Cannie
:towel: :towel: :towel: GO CANUCKS GO!!! :towel: :towel: :towel:
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

People talk about Gillis having to surrender draft picks, but Gillis could attempt to trade for someone like Barker with prospects (Schneider? Grabner?) and/or maybe a roster player (although cap hit would be a factor) and lower draft picks. If Tallon balks, Gillis can counter with the prospect of Tallon either putting himself over the cap or taking picks. As Cannie said, the next couple years are supposed to be leaner drafts.

That said, if trade he must why not go for other 1B young Dmen. Why not someone like Suter from Nashville? He's not a FA, but it depends on what Nashville needs. A bit pie-in-the-sky, but my point is that with the UFA crop it's either the likes of MA Bergeron (a palatable plan B in the short term) or Beauchemin. Instead of throwing more money at older FAs who are short term fixes at best, why not take a bit of a risk and invest in a younger FA who can fit in age-wise and price-wise with the younger core on the team.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

You're right Lancer, if we're going to go after that type of player it's more likely to be through trade than RFA. Simply put we have a valuable equivalent to a 1st round pick in Schneider that I would rather give up than an actual 1st rounder because we should well have Lou locked up.