9 straight wins---> Calder Cup + Hodgson

Talk about your favorite prospects and the happenings of the Canucks AHL affiliate, the Abbotsford Canucks.

Moderator: Referees

ClamRussel
CC Legend

9 straight wins---> Calder Cup + Hodgson

Post by ClamRussel »

The Moose finally lost a playoff game but won an amazing streak of NINE straight playoff games in their bid to get to the finals. Still, up 3-1 they lost the game in OT in which coach Arniel said they "stunk." That said, they still almost pulled it out of the fire. One OT goal would have given them ten straight wins and a Calder Cup birth.

As if being up 3-1 in the quarter finals wasn't enough they've also got bluechip prospect Cody Hodgson onboard and he's now got a goal and an assist in 4 games, his first taste of pro hockey. One more win and Hodgson will be going for an AHL Championship, quite a year for the kid. I for one am really looking foward to see how he handles this pressure cooker.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Kikbutt_10
CC Veteran

Re: 9 straight wins---> Calder Cup + Hodgson

Post by Kikbutt_10 »

Not too mention he got those points playing on fourth line minutes...
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Has the clock struck midnight for the Moose?

Post by ClamRussel »

Perhaps I spoke too soon about the Calder as the Moose have just dropped a 2nd straight OT game, this one in double OT. They pulled Schnieder to start the 3rd and Sanford seemed to rally the troops. Trailing 3-0 they got on the board early w/ Grabner's 6th.....THEN a remarkable comeback; check out the times of these 2 goals:

MTB, J. Krog (7), M. Grabner, M. Fortunus, 19:39
MTB, M. Cullen (3), M. Pope, J. Krog, 19:58

Down 3-1 with 21 seconds left in the game... Talk about its not over till its over! Too bad they blew the ending, spoiled by Tony freakin' Hrkac. I can't believe Hrkac is still around, wow.

This is going to be a major disappointment if they blow this 3-0 series lead after 9 straight victories. Did the coach turn back into pumpkin? Stay tuned...
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Has the clock struck midnight for the Moose?

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

ClamRussel wrote:Down 3-1 with 21 seconds left in the game... Talk about its not over till its over! Too bad they blew the ending, spoiled by Tony freakin' Hrkac. I can't believe Hrkac is still around, wow.
No more improbable than having Mike Keane around... ;)

Good comeback; pity that they couldn't finish, but I doubt that the Aeros can win the next two games with Arniel having the last change.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Well you were right, BRING ON DA BEARS!!!

Hodgson gets a promotion and Baumgartner sets up Grabner for a one-timer to win the game!
http://moosehockey.com/summaries/summary/96
For the first time in franchise history, the Manitoba Moose won the Robert W. Clarke Trophy as the AHL’s Western Conference champions for 2008-09
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

I'm think'n....ROAD TRIP!

Not a bad drive at all, wonder if Sue still loves me :)

(be nice to get tix for a Pens game though too)

From The Center Of The Fucking Universe Baby
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Arachnid wrote:I'm think'n....ROAD TRIP!

:lol: @Sue. I *heart* Sue too!

Hmmm...I could possible do a Pens-Wings series game....hmmmmm it's been a while since I watched a cup final live. 2006 Canes vs Oilers game 7 in Raleigh, NC, sadly the place wasn't sold out (but close) :| Did some golfing down there a couple of days after the whole craziness. Got a couple pics of the parade and all too. :)
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

LotusBlossom wrote:
Arachnid wrote:I'm think'n....ROAD TRIP!

:lol: @Sue. I *heart* Sue too!

Hmmm...I could possible do a Pens-Wings series game....hmmmmm it's been a while since I watched a cup final live. 2006 Canes vs Oilers game 7 in Raleigh, NC, sadly the place wasn't sold out (but close) :| Did some golfing down there a couple of days after the whole craziness. Got a couple pics of the parade and all too. :)
Proof thats yet another city that doesn't deserve an NHL club. Seriously, game SEVEN in the Cup finals!!!
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I was in the area last year and it seems that the Cup win really raised the profile of the Canes out there. They have no pro sports out there, college is huge. The Canes are filling a niche right now. But a losing streak (like most cities) would seriously hurt the team.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Cornuck wrote:I was in the area last year and it seems that the Cup win really raised the profile of the Canes out there. They have no pro sports out there, college is huge. The Canes are filling a niche right now. But a losing streak (like most cities) would seriously hurt the team.
Yeah that's true. I actually really love North Carolina a lot and I really don't mind the Canes at all. It was a 'good' southern market to put the NHL I think it's one of the few that really could prosper. They aren't losing money as far as I know, and their popularity is growing, but they have been there since what...92? something like that...took them a while...much longer than say...Minnesota.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

LotusBlossom wrote:
Cornuck wrote:I was in the area last year and it seems that the Cup win really raised the profile of the Canes out there. They have no pro sports out there, college is huge. The Canes are filling a niche right now. But a losing streak (like most cities) would seriously hurt the team.
Yeah that's true. I actually really love North Carolina a lot and I really don't mind the Canes at all. It was a 'good' southern market to put the NHL I think it's one of the few that really could prosper. They aren't losing money as far as I know, and their popularity is growing, but they have been there since what...92? something like that...took them a while...much longer than say...Minnesota.
I'm not saying they shouldn't be there but its just another case of how WEAK that market is down there. They're one of the better cases of the newer US relocations/expansion cities and they can't even sell out game 7?!? Thats crap when you have cities like Winnipeg, Quebec City, Hartford, Hamilton and possibly Seattle and Portland all without a drop of a chance. Nashville, Phoenix, Atlanta and Florida are complete utter jokes. Tampa Bay is a disgrace (15 minutes after winning the Cup it was like a movie let out in the parking lot & side streets, quiet as if it was just another night, no celebrations whatsoever) and Anaheim was a fad that is over. Like Atlanta, Kansas City and Cleveland have both failed in the past for good reason and Vegas would be a novelty just like the Ducks were. I'd be willing to help restore Long Island because they have so much history and have been successful in the past. CERTAINLY Winnipeg can be as successful as Raleigh without any effort. I guarantee you any playoff games would be sold right out in the first round let alone the finals and game SEVEN to boot. Its time for the NHL to start putting these franchises in HOCKEY MARKETS and then build from there instead of airlifting them into football, baseball, basketball, sand dune, country music & retirement beach markets and forcefeeding a bunch of unwilling participants a product they don't understand and have NO desire to understand. It reminds me of the doomed relationship cliche of "he/she'll *learn* to love me."
FAIL