GDT: R2G6 - Canucks @ Chicago - 6pm - CBC, VS

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: R2G6 - Canucks @ Chicago - 6pm - CBC, VS

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Well hopefully the likes of Hodgson, Grabner and Raymoond can provide us with some more jump and replace the likes of Pyatt and Sundin. I'd suffer some growing pains from those guys if we could at least stay in the game with some of these teams.

It seemed like the Hawks scored at will, and we were the ones who were counting on bounces and veteran savvy, not skill to win us games. Hopefully that changes going forward.
Cannie
CC Veteran

Post by Cannie »

So much to say, so many intelligent posts here, let me collect my thoughts, full post tomorrow.

And good luck to the Chicago Blackhawks the rest of the way. I have a feeling we'll be seeing this team in May and June for many years to come...

Cannie
:towel: :towel: :towel: GO CANUCKS GO!!! :towel: :towel: :towel:
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

We lost to the better team in this series. It turns out... we were the dinosaurs.

The Hawks played a great series. We couldn't keep up. We lost in every category. I can't think of one area that we beat the Hawks in. Whoever they meet in the next round will have their hands full.

Like someone posted above - the 'new NHL' requires a new outlook. Nobody's ready for it, and it's tough to predict, but young,fast, talented and affordable seems to be the way to go. Maybe sucking for 2-3 years is now a requisite?

---

Like everyone else, I thought this team had a chance. But there's nothing like the playoffs to expose all the holes. Now that we've seen what is needed, I don't see this team moving forward for a few years.

Just another day in Canuckland.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Icebreaka
CC Veteran

Post by Icebreaka »

levelheaded wrote:Help us Cody-Wan Hodg-nobi, you're our only hope.
That made me smile at least amongst all this negative energy I'm feeling. I often wonder if we're really as bad/unlucky/cursed as we like to believe and nights like tonight make me say with a resounding yes that we are. I just don't get how we managed to blow so many leads in this series when that wasn't our modus operandi all season. Why did we look so panicking and scared all night out there? Every time we got a lead its like we didn't feel worthy or something and dumped it.

I have to agree right now that I'm a feeling like bashing Roberto a bit and I'm sure he will be equally hard on himself. For the money he's paid he is paid to be an elite goalie. Elite goalies steal whole series sometimes. A hot goalie can make all kinds of difference. Khabibulin wasn't the difference maker in this series, but Luongo was tonight for the opposite reason. I do tend to agree that for the money he makes and how much we as fans all get down and bow to the guy, in the end, he's been outplayed by rookies Hillier and Varlamov in the playoffs. He doesn't seem to actually get better when the chips are down. He plays at a consistent level mostly and is prone to some real choke games. i kind of thought he was worth pulling on the 5-5 goal but that would never happen of course. He's back next year and he doesn't totally suck. He does want to win but then no one ever questioned Cloutier's heart either heh. Maybe we are the goalie graveyard.

I'm a sad sad fan right now. I won't watch any more hockey. Summer starts tomorrow and I can shave off this ratty ass beard. My wife will be happy at least....
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

All I have to say tonight is I am heartbroken...

I'm consoled by a leaves fan and a couple bottles of wine. ...

Thank God I can look at him and know our fate was better. :)
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Cornuck wrote:We lost to the better team in this series. It turns out... we were the dinosaurs.

Like someone posted above - the 'new NHL' requires a new outlook. Nobody's ready for it, and it's tough to predict, but young,fast, talented and affordable seems to be the way to go. Maybe sucking for 2-3 years is now a requisite?
The scores don't lie and in the end, Chicago outperformed us. Who would have thought in November that Khabibulin would outplay Luongo? If there's an argument for getting rid of the last of the legacy Canucks (I'm talking about you, Ohlie), this series was it. That said, Raymond impressed me in this series. If his hands can ever catch up to his feet, he will be more than a handful.Kesler has speed, and even the Twins showed better wheels than in years before. Johnson was fast enough, just no hands. You're right, though. Guys like Sundin, Demitra and Ohlund killed us. Bieksa won't beat anyone in a race and neither will Mitchell.

Sucking 2-3 years in a row? Kiss Luongo goodbye, and if that's the case then part ways before the beginning of this season. That said, look at Atlanta, Columbus and Los Angeles. How many years have they sucked and is there any light at the end of their tunnels? L.A. perhaps. Columbus... well we'll see if Hitchcock doesn't burn them out next year. But you look at Atlanta, Florida, hell even Phoenix has had some high drafts. It's a crap shoot and do we want to see the bad days of the late 90s? Chicago had some terrific drafts, even past the first round. Can we ever say that Vancouver has had the same? Would you chuck what the team has for an educated roll of the dice by a scouting staff that hasn't given us bumper crops of prospects?

The only certainties are that the Twins should be re-signed long term and Wellwood deserves a new pact with a dietician clause in it.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Amazon Canuck
CC Rookie

Post by Amazon Canuck »

LotusBlossom wrote:All I have to say tonight is I am heartbroken...

I'm heartbroken, too, especially after seeing Luongo cry and knowing the hell he's going to face when he gets home tomorrow... I can't stand seeing a man cry and I feel so bad for him now, even if I was choked at him earlier.

G, at least we can also be consoled by knowing that we did better than the Habs, leaves AND Flamers :mrgreen: and we'll drink to it on Sunday, k?
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Amazon Canuck wrote:

I'm heartbroken, too, especially after seeing Luongo cry and knowing the hell he's going to face when he gets home tomorrow... I can't stand seeing a man cry and I feel so bad for him now, even if I was choked at him earlier.

G, at least we can also be consoled by knowing that we did better than the Habs, leaves AND Flamers :mrgreen: and we'll drink to it on Sunday, k?
Fuck ya KT! And we can beat the shit out of the leaves fan to make us feel better. Poor Mej =)).
Amazon Canuck
CC Rookie

Post by Amazon Canuck »

LotusBlossom wrote:
Amazon Canuck wrote:

Fuck ya KT! And we can beat the shit out of the leaves fan to make us feel better. Poor Mej =)).

LOL awwww no, he was so supportive of the team. We can't beat him up :( maybe invite some flames or hawks fans so we can fight them?
JCardinal
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JCardinal »

I felt this coming two games ago and I could feel myself almost subconsciously distancing myself from the Canucks. Every time the Canucks got the lead I said to my wife "so what do you think, 5 minutes or less before Chicago evens it up?" and sure enough.

I hope the Hawks win the cup to take some of the sting out of this loss, failing that the Ducks just to annoy the easterners because let's face it: the Ducks are the only real WESTERN team left in the playoffs.

Before the game I was thinking the sedins and Louie have to step up and play better in particular and the Sedins did and Louie flipped up his skirt.

I like Louies arrogance at times, all the greatest athletes have it, but he simply didn't back it up when it mattered most and an elite goalie does *not* give up 7 goals in an elimination game. There is simply no excuse and anyone who doesn't hang a good portion of this loss and most of the other losses in this series on him is delusional. That's where the money went on the back end, he's the man. Other than Edler's deflection those were all bad goals, at least two were beyond bad. Anyone who still calls him an elite goaltender at this point is delusional.

The scoring was there all series when it was needed that wasn't the problem at all, you could ice a slightly tweaked front end in a do over with a better back end and all is fine. 5 goals should be enough to win you a game, especially an elimination game, even with a mediocre goalie and defense, they died by what went on in their own end and I blame Louie. He crapped the bed tonight and right now I'd be fine if he was sent packing. The playoffs are all that matters, getting to the playoffs and going deep in the playoffs (at least the third round).

He's had 3 years to prove himself and, it simply hasn't worked out. He should be in his prime, instead he seems to be getting worse.

I will give them credit for going down swinging though, they threw their hearts and souls into some awesome action this game, they simply weren't good enough and that should come as no surprise, remember when Gillis was asked just over a year ago about the Canucks prospect for winning a cup, he said something like not even close and he was right.

I'm confident he'll make the right moves in the summer to correct that, right now I don't think any players are untouchable.

I want a cup and I don't care how they get it, who they have to trade, who gets fired, whatever, make it happen.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Sid Dithers wrote: 4. No. The Hawks are a better team, folks here better realize that.
Yes, the 'hawks were the better team and there is no doubt they got there share of bounces. Like goal number 5 and 6. But like I said, the Hawks were a better team. Better forwards (all 12), better speed, more entertaining, and better power play.

If nothing else, it is a good sign that an offensively minded team can do well.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

dr.dork wrote: If nothing else, it is a good sign that an offensively minded team can do well.
And, I might add, the team tried their hardest. They left it on the ice and in my opinion they have nothing to feel ashamed about.

Whether or not we keep the Sedin's they had a very good last game.

Sundin also had a good game.

PK, not so much, and shutting down Kane and Toews, not so much.
Broda
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Broda »

Well what can you say, was a tough game to lose with how it went and the obvious needing to arrange tee times now.. but you know this team wasn't expected to make the playoffs and then they make it inspite of a tough season with the loss of Lupul, Bourdon and Carly.
This team gave it all they had and things just didn't end up in their favor at the end of the day. Very tough game for Lu.. this definetly is the exception to the rule for him tonight. Hopefully he can get over this and help this team in the future.

Well maybe this is my sad attempt at trying to be cool and not care but i guess this way i won't have to try and check the internet everyday while im in europe.. plus there is always ... always next year. It's been a little inner thought for the last few years.. that even if the canucks win.. which is my ultimate hope for them.. it will be the same agony year in and year out again after they don't win. It's a very very tough league to succeed in. Fans of teams that have succeeded don't cry any less than we do about our team losing.. they just have the ability to deflect with.. "oh and how many cups have the Canucks won?"

Anyways im off on wednesday wish me luck

Enjoy the summer everyone!!!

See ya at training camp
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Well as I am sitting here at YVR at 5:34AM PST, I am thoroughly disappointed the 2nd round exit of the Vancouver Canucks. In fact, I'm still stunned, but in all honesty, not surprised. I believe the Canucks lost that series in Game 4. They had the Hawks, if they just pressed more instead of sitting on that 1-0 lead. They were 3 minutes away from taking control of the series. Things started to unravel from there.

Luongo didn't show up as the big money goaltender that he was supposed to be in a crucial game of the series. Do or die and he wrote his tombstone in the 3rd period. Four goals on nine shots. I'm not dissing Luongo, I'm just stating a fact. He allowed 21 goals in 6 games. Hardly "Luongo-like" nerves perhaps? Well that's why he is paid the big bucks. The Hawks put doubt in his mind and with the help of blunders of his teammates, Luongo gave into the pressure.

Daniel scored two, so much for the Sedins don't score myth.

Burrows was a non-factor this series, and possibly a detriment. Not a good series for him.

I was disappointed in the play of the defence. Willie Mitchell especially. I just didn't think he would botch up as much as he did. I was however impressed with the play of Salo and Ohlund for the most part. I will miss Ohlund next season, but not at the expense of the development of my team. Salo, if he could just stay healthy. His play in the playoffs have been nothing but steady.

I felt they lost their "soul" in Game 4 as a team. As soon as Mats showed up, the team got lost... *sighs* Next year...

I'm not happy, this was their series and they dropped the ball.

In the famous words of the infamous former Canucks coach..."It is what it is."
nucks_girl
CC Veteran

Post by nucks_girl »

I don't know if I can say I'm heartbroken, because realistically, I expected this after Game 5. We didn't deserve to win this series, we weren't the better team, and that's pretty much it. It sucks. But on the bright side, this is a team I didn't expect much from this year. They beat my expectations and gave some some entertaining games along the way. I did change my expectations through the season...I think everyone did (a few times), but overall, it was a better season that I thought it would be. Just a tough way to go out.

Unfortunately, Luongo played himself right off of Team Canada. He was #1 after the first series I'm sure. I think it's back to Brodeur at this point.

Well, hope everyone enjoys their summer. I'll be around during FA and UFA signings, and then training camp. Cheers. :cheers: I know I'm going to need that.