GDT: R2G5 - Canucks host Hawks - 7:30 - CBC, VS

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Icebreaka
CC Veteran

Re: GDT: R2G5 - Canucks host Hawks - 7:30 - CBC, VS

Post by Icebreaka »

I'm always such a positive person and gave people sh*t last night for giving up on the team when it went 3-2. However I'm starting to lose that positive glint. This has all the earmarks of the type of series we end up losing. A completely beatable team that we've had leads on in every game so far in the series and they are up 3-2. Canucks have to dig back to how they played in St. Louis (or maybe St.Louis really was that bad?) or we're sunk. I have a bad feeling this one doesn't even go 7 but I'm doing everything I can to stay positive.

The game was a lot more wide open than the previous two but still we only managed 21 shots and many of them not very dangerous. Are we missing Demitra more than we are thinking? Why were the Sedins and Burrows split for much of the game?

I think we need Luongo to steal us a game. He's been good, great at times but no games so far in the playoffs did we deserve to lose and he stole us a victory. If you're really an elite goalie or heck even a hot goalie like Hillier you should be counted on to steal the odd one. I'm not blaming him for last night although that first Hawks goal he could have had. I'm just saying it might come down to Luongo stealing the show like he's proven he can at times.

God I'm nervous......
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Icebreaka wrote:Why were the Sedins and Burrows split for much of the game?
God I'm nervous......
I'm pretty convinced Burrows has something, a pain left somewhere. He's not really hitting anymore, at least the real ones what we are so used to by him.

I'm nervous too but i still believe, Luongo for a shutout tommorow. :mex: If he's just half as pissed as me it should work.

Otherwise we can all listen to the "Fandango"... it takes 4 games to win the dance.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Cookie La Rue wrote: I'm pretty convinced Burrows has something, a pain left somewhere. He's not really hitting anymore, at least the real ones what we are so used to by him.
We are all hurting, probably because Chicago has been hitting and we haven't (comparatively). Chicago's D has had it really easy for the most part. Other than Rypien pounding on Campbell twice in one shift last night we really haven't hit back.

We're counting on players like Bernier, Pyatt, Hordichuk, Rypien, Burrow and Kesler to get in on the forecheck and finish checks on a consistent basis. That isn't happening.

It certainly isn't over. Every game has been close and this team has been pretty good all year when their back are against the wall. If we show up tomorrow and win, then game seven is back in our building and things are looking a little brighter.
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

about the only thing I am convinced of now is that this is not a Stanley cup contending team.. not enough ballzzz when the going gets tough.. A few players show up each game but never seems to be a full team effort for 60 minutes.. Sad to see them blow 4 leads and lose this series...
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I'm sure a lot of people were saying that about Boston before tonight.

All the series are at 3-2 now - we're not alone in this, but tomorrow's game has to be that full 60 minute effort.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

It definitely doesn't look optimistic...but I remember feeling that way a bit when we were down to the Rangers in '94 and then we roared back from a 3-1 series deficit to destroy them 6-3 (when they were already planning their parade route) and convincingly 4-1 at home ice. Put it this way, if we win in Chicago it will be crazy at home for game 7 and they'll show up. It just bothers me that we didn't see that CONTROL in the last game that they're capable of. There was no sense of dominance, they never really dictated the play...they came out flat from the get-go and Chicago deserved the win through & through.

To be honest I felt St.Louis was the better team last round, Luongo just stymied them and made the huge saves that Mason wasn't capable of (not many goalies are). Luongo won that series but it was ALOT closer than the 4-0 decision appears. This series Luongo has looked a bit more human than usual and Khabibulin has been better than Mason...plus we're facing a much better team w/ greater offense and a superior blueline...its not going to be as easy as it was in the past. Time to see if our boys have the heart and guts to pull this out. Time for the Sedins to show up and get it done when it matters most!

Getting Demitra back would be a big boost imo. He's the type of player who can come out of nowhere and make a difference when you least expect it but need it most.

Its not over - Go Canucks!!!
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Maybe i love the people in here more than the Canucks, but we share the love for "our" team and that makes it so special. Year after year after year.....

GO CANUCKS GO...it's not over. :towel:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'