GDT: R2G5 - Canucks host Hawks - 7:30 - CBC, VS

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

HereComeTheHawks

Re: GDT: R2G5 - Canucks host Hawks - 7:30 - CBC, VS

Post by HereComeTheHawks »

Havlat with the empty netter!! Hawks lead 4-2!!! :D

Back to the Windy City for the chance to wrap it up!!! :D
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Then Kesler with the tackle.

Mitchell again - breaks his 'big stick' which leads to the Hawks 3rd goal.

Fuck - what a complete meltdown with 10 minutes left. 5 shots in the 2nd and 5 shots in the 3rd.

Backs against the wall? Now the rifles are aimed...
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

The hockey gods f*cked us up the a$$. I can't remember how many pucks bounced over our sticks and how many of our players tripped and slipped and the empty-netter was proof in my mind that tonight wasn't meant to be. I mean, what about Mitchell's stick busting on the losing goal? Between that and the refs waking up with 10 minutes left in the game.... I mean what the f*ck??? :evil: :evil: :evil:

The guys played hard and it deserved to go to OT. Not this way.

Whatever. If it must be done the hard way, then so it must be. The guys have won in Chicago before. They can do it again.

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Real glad I stayed up 'til 7:15 am for this one! What happened to the team that absolutely destroyed the Hawks at the end of the regular season? Chicago is SUCH a beatable team but the Canucks don't even look interested. Blown game 4 costs them the series. Where have I seen this before? Ugh. Disgusted.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Okay I don't want to put it down to this entirely... but lets put it this way... is diving responsible for more than 50% of the results in the new NHL?
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Cornuck wrote:Then Kesler with the tackle.

Mitchell again - breaks his 'big stick' which leads to the Hawks 3rd goal.
Hawks were the better team tonight. There was no doubt about that.

Time to pull out the "one game at a time" and "one shift at a time" cliches and win the next shift, period, and game in chi-town.

And Kudos to Rypien for his 4 hits in about 30 seconds. We need more of that and we could have used more of that earlier in the series. Chicago is wearing us out.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Good morning in hell... Said to myself who wins game 5 will win the series.

Seems it's already lost ?

Hoping for game 7 with a heavy heart.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

After Sundin scored - we had 6 shots.

This series is an odd one. The Hawks are making the most of their chances, we're slowing melting.

We've had more than enough chances to put this series away - and now we're in a position where we have to win or go home. The Hawks have 'solved' the Sedins for the most part. Adding Sundin into the mix helped, but wasn't enough.

Let's see what this team is made of on Monday.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

dr.dork wrote: Hawks were the better team tonight. There was no doubt about that.

Time to pull out the "one game at a time" and "one shift at a time" cliches and win the next shift, period, and game in chi-town.

And Kudos to Rypien for his 4 hits in about 30 seconds. We need more of that and we could have used more of that earlier in the series. Chicago is wearing us out.
You got all that right, Dork. When push comes to shove, the Canucks were supposed to be able to physically handle the Hawks, being that the Hawks are the youngest team in the league. It's not working out that way. You've got to give the Hawks a TON of credit for standing up, dishing it back, and continuing to play. They look so confident, while the Canucks are certainly the team with the lower breaking level.
Horrible game by Kesler tonight. Just one mistake after another.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
JCardinal
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JCardinal »

Seems like just about every game of this series the Canucks run out of gas in the 3rd period and the Hawks don't.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

That extra penalty in the Bieksa/Versteeg tussle was complete bullshit, turning point in the game. We were winning at the time and it was a phantom call. Versteeg tried to take Bieksa's head off w/ that cross check...and THEY get the PP?
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

That extra penalty in the Bieksa/Versteeg tussle was complete bullshit, turning point in the game. We were winning at the time and it was a phantom call. Versteeg tried to take Bieksa's head off w/ that cross check...and THEY get the PP?
Hard to see on the screen... too many bodies in that scrum at back of the net.. However the Canucks killed it off.. the other 2 penalties to Bieksa were deserved but f*ing dumb penalties to take and of course the Hawks scored on both of them. the last one .. a stick in the face of hawks player had to be called. first one was in the offensive zone .. a couple real bad plays .. I have no idea why Bieksa can have a great game one night and be a complete idiot the next. ( bad drugs? )... Keslers late penalty eliminated the chances of the Canucks coming back.. Sad to note that the guys that stood out for the nucks to me.. where Rypien.. Bernier.. Pyatt and Sundin.. Kesler was playing a good strong game at the start... but kinda tailed off.. Sedin's look about same as they do every playoffs... ineffective against good checking and a physical game..
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

I was at the game and even an electric crowd couldn't really spur the Canucks on. I agree Clam, the extra penalty to Bieksa was awful and definitely a turning point.

The Canucks put forth a bettert effor than Game 4 imo but it was merely okay. Kesler didn't have a good game but he did make some nice plays. I can't remember who it was because I was sitting at the Chicago end in the third, but whoever came off the bench as the sixth player totally miscommunicated with the defenseman and collided with one another, leading to the Havlat empty netter.

With home-ice advantage you'd expect the Canucks to come out with more oomph but after gaining the lead they played passive hockey yet again. The Sedins had some nice cycles but were once again neutralized by Keith and Seabrook, while Campbell seemed to be everywhere on the ice.

Ohlund has really lost a step. It's not as obvious on tv as it is up close and he's gotten slower at reading the plays. Maybe its because having Edler and Salo provides the offense from the blueline, but has anyone else noticed that Ohlund has pinched less and less? Even on dump ins Ohlund's always stayed back a little too much. Maybe it's AV's style but I'd like to see the defenseman engage a little more. Bieksa did a couple times tonight and looked great.

Wellwood finally showed up, albiet for brief periods and that line with Bernier and Pyatt was by far the most exciting and generated the most chances. Rypien's line wasn't bad either but Johnson had an okay game. The Hawks were the better team. Kane and Toews were flying.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Mikodat wrote:Hard to see on the screen... too many bodies in that scrum at back of the net.. However the Canucks killed it off.. the other 2 penalties to Bieksa were deserved but f*ing dumb penalties to take and of course the Hawks scored on both of them.
99% sure they scored on the one I was talking about, I remember being choked about it. When it happened it was hard to see but on the replay it was clear as day....Versteeg pitchforked his legs out from under him and then when he was down gave a full on cross check to the head. They got the PP and scored. I know they both deserved penalties, that much is obvious, but someone please tell me why Bieksa was deserving of an extra penalty that Versteeg was not?!?

Watch it in HQ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjsAEkRWONw
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

ClamRussel wrote:
Mikodat wrote:Hard to see on the screen... too many bodies in that scrum at back of the net.. However the Canucks killed it off.. the other 2 penalties to Bieksa were deserved but f*ing dumb penalties to take and of course the Hawks scored on both of them.
99% sure they scored on the one I was talking about, I remember being choked about it. When it happened it was hard to see but on the replay it was clear as day....Versteeg pitchforked his legs out from under him and then when he was down gave a full on cross check to the head. They got the PP and scored. I know they both deserved penalties, that much is obvious, but someone please tell me why Bieksa was deserving of an extra penalty that Versteeg was not?!?

Watch it in HQ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjsAEkRWONw
Yep. I remember thinking the same thing Clam. The way the Canucks played, they deserved to lose but I was still furious with that penalty regardless. It really irritates me when they give extra penalties arbitrarily following a scrum. It's one thing in the regular season but this is the freaking playoffs! I know the NHL wants to eliminate unnecessary goonery but scrums after the whistle increase the intensity and "hate" in a series. I'm quite a fan of letting the guys play. Take a guy off of each team if it gets out of hand, or sure, give someone an extra penalty if it's warranted but this chickenshit "giving someone an extra penalty to discourage scrums" is bullshit. Bieksa was freaking crosschecked and responded and clearly didn't deserve an extra penalty out of the affair. If anything, the Chicago player should have got the extra 2 for initiating but again, I wouldn't want that called because it's just dirty.