GDT: R2G5 - Canucks host Hawks - 7:30 - CBC, VS

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

GDT: R2G5 - Canucks host Hawks - 7:30 - CBC, VS

Post by Cornuck »

Tonight starts a best of 3 series between the Vancouver Canucks and Chicago Blackhawks. The Canucks will have home ice advantage. In 4 recent meetings, the teams are ties with 2 wins each. Yep - it's really a new series now.

Ok - what are the odds that AV has learned that he is not going to protect many leads in the this series without putting some pressure on the Hawks? This Hawks team will not give up. That means we need to play even more disciplined with penalties and defensively. I do not want to see another lead blown tonight - or for the rest of the series. Hordichuk can not be our top offensive player - check that - actually I don't give a damn who scores. And yes, we need more than 15 shots a game.

Salo could play - Bieksa will play. 30% of our D is battered.

All is not lost, we need a big rebound game here to push the Hawks to the edge.

NHL.com Preview
Globe & Mail Preview

GO CANUCKS GO!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: GDT: R2G5 - Canucks host Hawks - 7:30 - CBC, VS

Post by Linden Is God »

Tonight is going to be a great night of hockey, I can just feel it. A great under card beginning with the Caps and Pens. Then on to the main event with the Hawks and Canucks.

GO CANUCKS GO!!!
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

This is the pivotal game. I expect the winner to take the series.
Some random thoughts :

The Canucks must play a consistantly solid game and stay out of the box. Consistancy has eluded these guys all season.
It would be nice if Sundin could step it up a bit for this crucial contest but I've pretty much given up on him.
I'd like to see Pyatt rewarded for his hard work by getting a goal or two.
We can't afford to lose Salo AND BXA ... hopefully at least one of them plays tonight.
Our PK is still pretty good but the PP has slipped a bit. Could be the difference maker in the series.
I expect the crowd to be pumped and to help motivate the team.
We still have home ice advantage and we have to use it.

GO CANUCKS GO !!!!
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

This is must win, not a doubt in my mind. Honestly, a big game from any of our Swedish forwards should be enough to do it.

In some ways the series has been kind of even. We've each one two, each team winning a game they probably got outplayed in. However, it does sort of seem like the Hawks have the edge, but maybe that's just the sting of Thursday night not having worn off.
Salo could play - Bieksa will play. 30% of our D is battered.
To tell you the truth it looks like 100% of our D is battered, and at least 30% is hobbled. We may get through this series, but that might make for a quick exit next round unless they really grit it out.
Broda
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Broda »

BELIEVE IN BLUE- The D will step up tonight, everyone is hurting... its the playoffs. Def must win!

GO CANUCKS GO
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

Linden Is God wrote:Tonight is going to be a great night of hockey, I can just feel it. A great under card beginning with the Caps and Pens. Then on to the main event with the Hawks and Canucks.
I sure hope so. I've been moping around the house since yesterday. I get the Versus feed via ESPN360. At one point they showed 4 canucks clogging up the neutral zone and one in on the forecheck. I just knew they were going to blow it. They might not be able to play end to end, but trapping is a losers game.

We've got pride and talent. I'm calling for a big game from Kes & Burrows.

Go Canucks Go!
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Best defence is a better offense.

Attack, shoot and score.

Win baby, that's all I want!

GO NUCKS GO!

:towel:
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

This hasn't been a great series so far because the teams have taken turns playing well/bad. Great hockey exists only when both teams have it going on. Are we going to get some tonight? Who knows.

As for the Canucks....play to win. I can accept losing as long as the intention is to play to win in the first place. If you want it, go out and get it.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

Agree... tonights game is the BIG ONE..... Time for the Swedes to elevate their game and score a couple.. Sundin and Sedins are way overdue for big games. If Salo comes back tonight it improves our chances of winning - the PP just isn't as good without him and the D needs him. Hopefully both Bieksa and Salo will be available.. I expect Kesler and Burrows to be playing a hard tough game .. Our 4th line was the only one that outplayed Chicago last game.. Time for the 1st and 2nd lines to do their job.. With Demitra out we are a little short of scoring talent.. so unless the twins and Sundin put in 100% and go to the dirty areas a bit more I don't think this team will advance . The key is a good strong forecheck for all 60 minutes.. and a lot more shots on goal. Luo and the D can't win the game for them - they need more goals.
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

I dunno about that one Mik... we were less than five minutes away from winning a 1-0 game. Didn't quite pull it off but this team has proven that it doesn't need to score a bunch to win.

In fact, the best way to beat this Hawks team is to make it a boring, December-style game. They feed of the high-flying, crowd-buzzing give and take game. We need to be game managers, not emotionally driven (if that makes sense).

The Sedin's have to be better, no question. The odds of Darcy Hordichuk scoring another playoff goal is about the same as Willie Mitchell playing as bad as he did last game, not likely. I think the Swedes will pick it up. The pressure is on and they're playing for the big bucks.
HereComeTheHawks

Post by HereComeTheHawks »

Tonight will be the key to the series.

Let's go Blackhawks!!!
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

HereComeTheHawks wrote:Tonight will be the key to the series.

Let's go Blackhawks!!!

Go Canucks Go!

PS, Indiana...I'd miss Chicago if I was in Indiana
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

LotusBlossom wrote:
Go Canucks Go!

GO CANUCKS GO

My prediction is whoever wins the last game of the series wins the series, and the first to four wins wins the series.

This series will probably come down to who gets the lucky bounce at the right time. Chicago got one last game so it is OUR TURN.

Let's play like we did in game 3, and although I don't think we played that bad in game 4 (and deserved to win as much as Chicago did) playing smart defensively also means hemming Chicago in their own zone.

I also want to see some hitting from our 4-th line. Chicago is doing a much better job of taking the body and that is going to hurt us in a long series. Kane is 3 foot 2. You think someone would rough him up a bit.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

HereComeTheHawks wrote:Tonight will be the key to the series.

Let's go Blackhawks!!!
I hate you.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

So far he's just been cheering and not trolling too much. It's always nice to have visitors (especially when we win) :D

Edit: Crap! There's another damned Nascar race tonight - hopefully the bar isn't too busy and I can hog the TV. :drink:
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."