GDT: R2G4 - Canucks in Chicago - 5PM - CBC, VS

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

HereComeTheHawks

Re: GDT: R2G4 - Canucks in Chicago - 5PM - CBC, VS

Post by HereComeTheHawks »

GO GET 'EM, HAWKS!!!

Game 5 will be the key. I think the momentum has swung back towards Chicago after a game like that.
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

Robert wrote:This team was DEAD. Chicago was done.. they was so toast in the third it was unreal.. but for whatever reason A didn't change his strategy and just tell them to put a fork in 'em. Just keep letting them come at us boys.. even though chicago had no much left to throw at us. I can't believe how pissed I am!!!!!!
The Canucks deserved to lose. In every game so far we've managed to build up a multi-goal lead (3-0, 2-0, 3-0), yet tonight we get a 1-0 lead and decide to circle the wagons for the last half of the game? With a team that was now on the ropes? Incredible. The ol' prevent defense. The Canucks played like cowards, and cowards always find a way to lose. Are they that scared of Chicago? I wouldn't want to trade chance-for-chance with the Hawks either. But to shut-down any semblance of any offensive forays is inexcusable. No forecheck, no pressure, no attempt to generate offense at all. All the Hawks want to do is attack, attack, attack. And you then decide to let them do it? What kind of idiocy is that? AV just made it very straight-forward for the Hawks. And then of course, you now head into overtime with a team that hasn't been attempting to generate scoring chances for the last hour and a half. Good luck!

Chicken-shit hockey. Deserved to lose. I was hoping they'd lose because I detest coward-hockey. Play to win or don't play at all. 1-0 and circle-the-wagons.....unbelievable.
Last edited by Sid Dithers on Fri May 08, 2009 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Agree 100% with you Sid. We've already seen that a 3-0 lead isn't safe, so why would AV think that his team could protect a 1-0 lead? It makes no sense.

Did anyone stick around for AV's post game? Did he offer any excuse/reason?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

Cornuck wrote: Did anyone stick around for AV's post game? Did he offer any excuse/reason?
Didn't hear any of it and didn't want to. He used to be fun to listen to, but now he shows contempt for interviews. And I doubt he'd admit they approached the last half of the game poorly.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Sid Dithers wrote:
Cornuck wrote: Did anyone stick around for AV's post game? Did he offer any excuse/reason?
Didn't hear any of it and didn't want to. He used to be fun to listen to, but now he shows contempt for interviews. And I doubt he'd admit they approached the last half of the game poorly.
I know Roberto is a damn good goalie, but that last part of the game should have been the Canucks not relenting on the score sheet not trying to 'protect' a 1-0 lead.

Frustrating to see, and they managed 14 shots? WTF? That's not the type of hockey that got them to the dance. I hope AV remembers that for Saturday.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

Cornuck, I don't think I saw it but he probably blamed it on "adjustments" .. that's so laughable I could cry. I don't blame Kevin for that loss.. but at the drop of the puck in the third they just stopped playing their game. The shifts were so short they had no chance to even mount any attack..
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Cornuck wrote:Agree 100% with you Sid. We've already seen that a 3-0 lead isn't safe, so why would AV think that his team could protect a 1-0 lead? It makes no sense.
It makes no sense, but they did manage to protect it until there were just under 3 minutes left. They did manage to protect leads like that all year.

You can argue that "bar the door" is boring hockey, but playing completely open (when Chicago DID come from behind from 3 and 2 goal deficits) is an even worse strategy. I do agree though that you need to continue to send in a forechecker and at least try to hem them in their own end.

It wasn't like Chicago was getting any chances before they scored, and if the 'nucks opened it up the wheels would have fallen off even earlier.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Maybe one of the fine hockey minds on this board can explain this to me. I've watched hockey for decades and can't figure it out.

'Team A' plays a certain style and builds up a lead. Then they change their style to a more defensive mode.
'Team B' is given a chance to come back and sometimes win.

Why doesn't 'Team A' just continue playing the style that got them the lead?

This baffles me every time I see it. Seriously. I can see playing a shutdown game with 5 minutes left, just to lessen the chances of a mistake or getting caught up ice.
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

LotusBlossom wrote:
Sid Dithers wrote:
I know Roberto is a damn good goalie, but that last part of the game should have been the Canucks not relenting on the score sheet not trying to 'protect' a 1-0 lead.

Frustrating to see, and they managed 14 shots? WTF? That's not the type of hockey that got them to the dance. I hope AV remembers that for Saturday.
Last night the team reverted back to a strategy I hate...rely on Louie to save the game. Louie is back there to erase mistakes that happen. He's damn good and he can do that. But to let the Hawks attack to their heart's content, and ask Louie to stand on his head is wrong and just plain nauseating. The Canucks may have been able to run up a 3-0 or 4-0 lead last night, but they didn't give themselves a chance to find out. No guts. That crap starts at the top...blame AV. When the heat's on, he always defaults back to that gutless, zero-forecheck nonsense.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

To be fair, this isn't an offensive juggernaut. This squad will have to be able to protect leads to win games, especially in the next round (if we get there). That might be the only way we can beat an Anaheim or Detroit. As for last night, they went into a shell to early, in my mind, and should have gone for insurance. Part of the problem, is that once you go an entire period (more in this case) without a fore check, it becomes impossible to get back into high gear again. We had no chance after the Hawks scored their goal.

and Sid... AV is still pretty damn entertaining on the podium.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

He said that we can't swap chances with the Hawks... that it was one of the best chess games he's ever been in... didn't think Hawks were "bringing much."

As much as the entire team is at fault, Mitchell was awful. An absolutely boneheaded (albeit reactionary) play off the boards that had three players lined up against it, an awful decision to shoot the puck at Bolland's legs then consequently show off his poor mobility, then losing Ladd as his check on the OT goal.

There's no way any team can win games without scoring some goals. If we can't score against the Hawks, then what about Detroit or Anaheim, both who have better defense? Granted, we're not exactly thinking "score goals," but you can't ignore that aspect of the game entirely. One of the biggest reasons we couldn't advance past Anaheim in 07 was because we scored a grand total of 8 goals in 5 games.
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

Anyone else got the feeling that the "Hockey Gods" are not smiling on the Canucks?? This is 2 games which the Canucks lost after being ahead and 1 almost got away... Sure Mitchell was dog tired with Salo out he logged a lot of ice time but blowing it in the last 3 minutes? .... Dunno, maybe this just isn't our year... We are lucky that Salo is coming back next game. Makes a huge difference to our D and our PP.. Hopefully it will make the difference..
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Easily the worst game I've seen Mitchell play, ever.

Sitting on the lead was a bad call, but it nearly worked. I don't think the wheels have fallen off at all, the fact is we split their home games, and we still have home-ice advantage. It's a best of 3 now.

The Sedin's are due for a big game, and Burrows might need to be bounced from that line because it's becoming obvious that either he's hurt, or the magic is gone. Bernier needs to get more time on that line, and Burrows should play with Kesler and Raymond, move Sundin with Wellwood and Pyatt.

Shaking up the lineup might not be required to start game 5, but when Rypien and Hordichuk are your best offensive players, you're fucked. I give them a period to figure it out, and then it's time for AV to do what he's good at, mix and match.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

As I am looking at it...

The series is tied 2-2. I think the first round spoiled some of us here. The Hawks aren't going to go away easily. I never for once though this second round match whether it was the Hawks or the Flames was going to be easy.

We're tied with home ice.

It was a bad game, but there are a couple more chances to redeem themselves.

Saturday at home. I think they'll be ready. Vigneault will hear the criticism and I'm sure he'll fix it.

Anyway, over and done with.

Saturday is only tomorrow.

GO NUCKS
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

LotusBlossom wrote:
It was a bad game, ...
If it was just one game where they gave up the lead, I wouldn't be worried, but the Hawks have proven that they can come back - almost at will. The only game they didn't was G3.

This team is letting them back in - sometimes due to coaching style, sometimes due to the Hawks speed and talent, and sometimes due to dumbass mistakes - and usually a combination of the 3.

I' d like to think that this team has more going for it than the ability to 3 goals and go to sleep.

Spoiled by St Louis? Hell yeah! G1 of this series, brought most of us back to reality, and there hasn't been one point (other than after the first 2 periods of G1) that I thought the Canucks had a handle on this series.

I'm hoping to hell that back home they will play with more intensity, grab a good lead and NOT sit around waiting for the Hawks to come back.