GDT: R2G1 - Canucks host Hawks - 4/30 - 6PM | CBC, VS

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

the toucan kid
CC Legend

Re: GDT: R2G1 - Canucks host Hawks - 4/30 - 6PM | CBC, VS

Post by the toucan kid »

It's probably, actually, Chicago/Boston this year for Buttman. I didn't think most of the calls were bad at all... Wellwood has the scars to prove it.

Grapes seems to have predicted Sundin will have a big series. The old guy can be remarkably astute SOME TIMES and I hope he's got that one right.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

the toucan kid wrote:It's probably, actually, Chicago/Boston this year for Buttman. I didn't think most of the calls were bad at all... Wellwood has the scars to prove it.

Grapes seems to have predicted Sundin will have a big series. The old guy can be remarkably astute SOME TIMES and I hope he's got that one right.
I think Mats is the ONLY Euro that Grapes truly loves. Everyone else to him is trash.
Last edited by LotusBlossom on Fri May 01, 2009 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Cornuck wrote:The thing that stands out most from this game (to me) is that this team finds ways to win. Almost every Canuck team in the past found ways to lose - but this team brings so many different angles that the opposition can't really plan for them. This team will not give up the game when they carry the lead into the 3rd.
I know exactly what you mean. There is no "We choked" speech/interview here. It was nothing but 'put up or shut up' and they put up! This is the team I want to see.

Win good, win bad, win ugly, just win!

Demitra - 5 shots, 1 goal
Kesler - 5 shots. 1 goal
Wellwood - 2 points

Gotta love it! A good team playing with confidence is hard to beat.
A friend of mine who is a Canucks fan in the GTA really feels Demitra could really do some damage to teams like the Hawks and the Wings if he can just get going. Glad to see him finally get that monkey off his back and get his game going last night. I think Demitra isn't necessarily a series breaker, he's an integral part 2nd unit power play, taking over where Morrison left off, as the forward playing the point. Speaking of that 2nd unit power play...Wellwood is looking good out there with Mats and Kesler.
The Chicago boards were whining that since the Canucks are the only Canadian team left, all the calls will go their way. They don't realize that Buttman's wet dream would be a Detroit Chicago Conference final.
That's expected but the Calgary boards were whining more. For a group that doesn't care too much for the Canucks, they are sure interested in seeing the Canucks series and hoping for ways the boys to fail.

I will be in Calgary soon. If the Canucks are in the third round...I'm going to relish my 10 days there. :D
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

I was pretty impressed by the Chicago speed and the stick play of Duncan Keith. Man, that guy can knock down dump-ins, passes... everything. And sometimes he's not even square to the puck when he does it. The Hawks D are very capable of breaking up what initially look like great scoring chances.

Otherwise, until the latter part of the third, Vancouver looked good in all aspects of the game. Particularly the PP - although they really needed to shoot on the (n-1)th pass. They were trying to get the wide-open net goal when a good quick shot would/might have done it. Answering the Kane goal to make it 4-1 would have changed the way that game finished.

I hope the wake-up call is answered...
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

the toucan kid wrote: Hordi can get in there and throw a hit. He's not there to fight, he's there to hopefully rattle the Hawks defense, who are either young, or prone to gaffs like Campbell. Pyatt just can't do that, but to each his own.
I just don't find Hordichuk that noticeable. Eager, yes, very noticeable in his limited time. Rypien is noticeable. Hordichuk just isn't doing that much of what he should be doing and Pyatt can hit, can play defence fairly well. I would give it a shot, but yes, this is the bottom of the order and perhaps it won't make a huge difference.
nucks_girl
CC Veteran

Post by nucks_girl »

I had to go to someone's place for a dinner party last night that I couldn't get out of...Seriously, why didn't they just cancel? So I started watching the game late when I got home, was careful not to pick up the phone or turn on the radio. So I had no idea what was going to happen when at 10:00 pm (for me) Chicago tied it. I just nervously checked to see how far I extended my pvr recording in case this baby was going to be a long OT.

Lucky for me, and all of us, Sami saved the day. LB, you were right, it took about the first 10 minutes of the game for the boys to get their legs, and that's better than what I was expecting. After the second, I was really hoping Luongo could come away with a shutout just so he could get into the heads of the Hawks shooters, but like someone else mentioned, it's unfortunate they got 3, because now they know they can. That being said, Luongo is going to be pissed and play even better tomorrow for a Saturday night game everyone will be watching!

Sloppy moments in the third period, but I think it was a good time to learn the lesson not to let up on these kids. That's easier to say when you come away with the win though. I think tomorrow night is going to be a doozy and it would be nice to see Pyatt wearing the green and blue, but I think that might be a bit too much for him on a Saturday night game. Hopefully he's playing on Tuesday for the godawful 5pm start.
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

Wow.. Chicago blew it in the first period.. Canucks looked and played rusty.. but decent hitting got the Chicago team taking dumb retaliation penalties.. Wellwood " the warrior ".. who'd of thunk it? After watching the game I am not as worried about Kane and the Hawks.. Kane is very vulnerable defensively and ended up on the bad side of the +/- despite scoring a couple.. Canucks played a good second period and absolutely sucked for most of the third.. Hockey Gods were smiling on them though.. So Slamming Sami comes through with the game winner.... Keep Hordi in !! He's hitting the D hard and taking away that fast break out Chicago is known for. Canucks will have to play much better for a full 3 periods if they want this series. Can't sit back against a highly skilled young team like the Hawks...

yeah... we won a game .. but were lucky to survive that 3rd period.. One bad mistake by a young Chicago squad giving us a 4 on 1... doubt that will happen again so the boys just got to up their play a notch..

Goooooooooo Canucks..
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

nucks_girl wrote:...

Sloppy moments in the third period, but I think it was a good time to learn the lesson not to let up on these kids. That's easier to say when you come away with the win though. I think tomorrow night is going to be a doozy and it would be nice to see Pyatt wearing the green and blue, but I think that might be a bit too much for him on a Saturday night game. Hopefully he's playing on Tuesday for the godawful 5pm start.
Yeah I think it might be good to see Pyatt in this series as well. Good to see him out practicing with the boys. You're probably right, Pyatt is better served playing in the games in Chicago. The spotlight will be off him more there.

5pm start? *sighs* just think how the guys out east stay up till 1am watching Nucks hockey when they start that 7pm PST. Doesn't that make you feel a little better :D

:cheers:
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

Salo may have scored, but he still doesn't recycle.
nucks_girl
CC Veteran

Post by nucks_girl »

LotusBlossom wrote: 5pm start? *sighs* just think how the guys out east stay up till 1am watching Nucks hockey when they start that 7pm PST. Doesn't that make you feel a little better :D

Hmm that makes me feel pretty good about next Saturday's game at 7:30...if we're still playing then... :hmmm:
Note to self: Don't get cocky...especially after witnessing the 3rd period.

I'm gonna have to have plenty of drinks on hand tomorrow night.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

With regard to Hordichuk, I would definitely like to see Pyatt get a chance out there. It's quite obvious that Chicago is unwilling to answer any bells, and having Rypien and O'Brien in the line-up still provides us with enough bullies. Hordy is a decent checker, but I think putting Pyatt with Rypien and Johnson could give that line some serious balance. Also, Pyatt was doing incredibly well on the PK and it wouldn't hurt to have as many of those guys as possible.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

nucks_girl wrote:
LotusBlossom wrote: 5pm start? *sighs* just think how the guys out east stay up till 1am watching Nucks hockey when they start that 7pm PST. Doesn't that make you feel a little better :D

Hmm that makes me feel pretty good about next Saturday's game at 7:30...if we're still playing then... :hmmm:
Note to self: Don't get cocky...especially after witnessing the 3rd period.

I'm gonna have to have plenty of drinks on hand tomorrow night.
You can always make a "doctor's appointment" for 4:30 :look:

As far as the drinks go, it's a gorgeous day here in Vancouver...I'm on the backyard deck...soaking in some rays with my new prescription sunglasses :P drinking a Kronenbourg and calling it a day. I know it's 2:30 locally, but my 'office' closes at 5 out east, where I am based.

:O
nucks_girl
CC Veteran

Post by nucks_girl »

LotusBlossom wrote: As far as the drinks go, it's a gorgeous day here in Vancouver...I'm on the backyard deck...soaking in some rays with my new prescription sunglasses :P drinking a Kronenbourg and calling it a day. I know it's 2:30 locally, but my 'office' closes at 5 out east, where I am based.

:O
I'm enjoying the sun too...minus the drinks for today. Sitting at my desk, the sun's shining right on me while I'm...doing homework. There goes my story. Actually, I am drinking, but it's only water. Does that count?
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

I just don't find Hordichuk that noticeable. Eager, yes, very noticeable in his limited time. Rypien is noticeable. Hordichuk just isn't doing that much of what he should be doing and Pyatt can hit, can play defence fairly well. I would give it a shot, but yes, this is the bottom of the order and perhaps it won't make a huge difference.
True enough, it's just the fourth line. Hordi is definitely the worst forward in our lineup, but I just don't see Pyatt being able to bang and crash or even keep up to the fore check. Has nothing to do with answering the bell Island, purely physical pressure on the fore check.