GDT: R2G1 - Canucks host Hawks - 4/30 - 6PM | CBC, VS

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: GDT: R2G1 - Canucks host Hawks - 4/30 - 6PM | CBC, VS

Post by Linden Is God »

What a pass by Raymon to Bernier for the original shot. Kudos to Khabibulin on that shot too. The more I watch Byfuglien, the more I want him to be a Canuck.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

That was too close.

Now the Canucks know what they're up against - and (hopefully) won't let up in the rest of the games.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Holy shit, somehow i felt ripped out of my dreams but fell asleep again. :mrgreen:

"The Salo" was like a dagger into a suicide machine, they really wanted to kill theirselves.

So glad they turned it around, i would have damaged something in here if had lost this one....
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

Isn't it wonderful to play your worst game and still be up in the series? :mex:

chicago is done.

I love it. :D
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

That is the worst game the Canucks will play (if they're going to win) this series. If the Hawks don't win Game 2... this thing is over.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

If all the worst games end up like that i'm not dissapointed at all. :cheers: :rockin:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Glass half-full:
-The guys mailed in most of the third period, woke up when it was tied, and pulled it out to still win the game!!!
-They will not make that mistake again.
-Wellwood with Bernier and Mason was arguably the 2nd best line for the Canucks after the Sedins, and
-Holy cow, the Sedins were really something out there. I think Keith and Seabrook were getting dizzy out there with all the spinning-off Hank and Dany were doing.

Glass half-empty:
-Byfuglien is a terror out there, and as strong as Ohlie is, he could barely contain the dude. What Tkachuk was in the last series, this guy will be in this.
-The win likely won't have the same effect psychologically on the Hawks as it would have if it had ended 3-0. Unlike the Blues, the Hawks now have proof that a team can score more than 2 goals on Lou.
-The traffic in the crease will only get worse, and slowly but surely, if Vancouver's D don't do a better job in boxing them out, Chicago is going to get an edge in there.

That said, one win down and three to go. I'll take a bad game with a 'W' attached than a good game with an 'L'

BTW, classy move on Burrows' part to slide the puck to Johnson to get him on the scoresheet when Burrows could have just as easily scored himself.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

the toucan kid wrote:I still want Hordi in and refs that don't call penalties because Kane is 5 foot 4.
We don't need Hordichuk in this series. Chicago's only tough guy Eager was flying out there and not even willing to fight Rypien or Bieksa when the Canucks were ahead. I don't care what anyone says, I like Pyatt over Hordichuk against the 'hawks. Plus it gives other possibilities on long PK stretches and line combos when necessary. Hordichuk did little tonight from what I saw.

It is far more than 4th line time. Pyatt can slot in, when necessary, on any line. He is big, won't be forced off the puck, and has shown he is a good playoff performer in the past.

On the other hand, there is a certain wisdom to "when you win don't muck around with the lineup" but I'm not sure I subscribe to that theory. I also fail to see what Hordichuk adds in this series. (Anaheim, yes, Chicago/Detroit, no).

Also, after Chicago came back from 3-0, I need a heart transplant. My ticker stopped until Salo scored shortly afterwards, so luckily I only lost 92% of my brain cells during the stoppage.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Lancer wrote:Glass half-full:
-The guys mailed in most of the third period, woke up when it was tied, and pulled it out to still win the game!!!
-They will not make that mistake again.
-Wellwood with Bernier and Mason was arguably the 2nd best line for the Canucks after the Sedins, and
-Holy cow, the Sedins were really something out there. I think Keith and Seabrook were getting dizzy out there with all the spinning-off Hank and Dany were doing.

Glass half-empty:
-Byfuglien is a terror out there, and as strong as Ohlie is, he could barely contain the dude. What Tkachuk was in the last series, this guy will be in this.
The Sedin's were dominant and could have scored many more with a little luck.

I also thought the Sundin line had a lot of chances. Demitra was skating well, Sundin was good and Kesler was, well, Kesler. But it is pretty clear it is Kesler that greases the wheels on that line.

Eager was good, I thought, and someone needs to pick up Kane in the offensive zone. He was wide open on at least one of his goals, and one was a juicy rebound...

I was at the game, and will be paying off Visa for about 20 years. Makes the 20 year plan a little better knowing we won.

In a way, letting Chicago back in (heart stoppages aside) will be a bit of a wakeup call. We cannot take the pedal off the metal and let these young pests back in the game/series.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Well with the sweep I was a little worried about the team facing adversity. Now they did and it has given me a little more confidence. I'll still be in freak out/over exaggerate mode until the playoffs are over.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

I just realized that in 5 games we have acheived what it took the 06/07 version of this team twice as long to accomplish. One more win and this is the second most successful Canucks playoff run since just after the Cup run in 94.

Nice to get the win, but I nearly had a heart attack when Bolland tied the game. I have an exam in 30 minutes, and I was worried it would go to OT and I'd be forced to sacrifice precious sleep in favour of hockey.
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

levelheaded wrote:Nice to get the win, but I nearly had a heart attack when Bolland tied the game. I have an exam in 30 minutes, and I was worried it would go to OT and I'd be forced to sacrifice precious sleep in favour of hockey.
Yes, thankfully this year's edition of the Canucks has more poise and composure than any previous Canuck team in the last ten years or so... Not to mention more poise and composure than in your house or mine last night...

I was watching that 4-on-1 on the winning goal and thought, "They better score on this rush otherwise, it's a 3- or 4-on-1 the other way..."

Good luck on your exam, too...
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Being at the game last night, I want to say that Kyle Wellwood played an amazing game last night. He drew penalties, he worked the boards, and made some pretty good plays. He played some inspiring hockey. I was extremely happy with the way he has elevated the level of his game in the last little while but especially in the playoffs so far.

Byfuglien is a terror out there. He is a hard-working guy and is hard to move out of position, as Ohlund and Mitchell both found out. I'm glad he didn't try to run Luongo like he did Kipprusoff, but it was only game 1 and I am sure there is more of Byfuglien than any of us fans would care to see. That being said, I'm sure the Canucks recognize the problem and will tighten up their game for Saturday.

Patrick Kane had a real beauty on the PP. He just vultured the net and Luongo didn't control that rebound and pounced. I'm not sure if anyone noticed but Toews looked a little slower than usual and his mobility on the ice wasn't much like his agile self.

The RPM line looked great out there. They really controlled play when they were on the ice. As someone pointed out earlier, that Kesler greases that line, but Mats has been moving better and playing better than games previous. Demitra was determined to finally get on the score sheet, what a nice goal that was. :) Demitra, I think played his best game of the playoffs last night and I would like to see it continue.

Sedins...did these guy show up or what? I love it. Getting a goal a game from either one of these two is what the Canucks need. Nice to see guys like Demitra, Wellwood, Kesler really contribute on the score sheet.

The game was only bad in the 3rd period until Salo scored. The Canucks decided to play statues and hold on to the lead instead of doing what they did the whole game, which was dictate the pace and take it to the Hawks. Let's not take away the Hawks settling their game down as well and looked more like the team that has been pretty good all year.

Khabibulin still awaits a victory from the Canucks since 1996. Let's keep it that way boys :)
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Being at the game last night, I want to say that Kyle Wellwood played an amazing game last night
Boy are you not kidding. He's been just tremendous, couldn't be trying harder.
We don't need Hordichuk in this series. Chicago's only tough guy Eager was flying out there and not even willing to fight Rypien or Bieksa when the Canucks were ahead. I don't care what anyone says, I like Pyatt over Hordichuk against the 'hawks. Plus it gives other possibilities on long PK stretches and line combos when necessary. Hordichuk did little tonight from what I saw.

It is far more than 4th line time. Pyatt can slot in, when necessary, on any line. He is big, won't be forced off the puck, and has shown he is a good playoff performer in the past.
Hordi can get in there and throw a hit. He's not there to fight, he's there to hopefully rattle the Hawks defense, who are either young, or prone to gaffs like Campbell. Pyatt just can't do that, but to each his own.

Great game to watch even the ten minutes they took off didn't ruin it.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

The thing that stands out most from this game (to me) is that this team finds ways to win. Almost every Canuck team in the past found ways to lose - but this team brings so many different angles that the opposition can't really plan for them. This team will not give up the game when they carry the lead into the 3rd.

Demitra - 5 shots, 1 goal
Kesler - 5 shots. 1 goal
Wellwood - 2 points

Gotta love it! A good team playing with confidence is hard to beat.

The Chicago boards were whining that since the Canucks are the only Canadian team left, all the calls will go their way. They don't realize that Buttman's wet dream would be a Detroit Chicago Conference final.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."