GDT: GAME 4 - Canucks @ St. Louis - 5PM - CBC, 1040,

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: GDT: GAME 4 - Canucks @ St. Louis - 5PM - CBC, 1040,

Post by Sid Dithers »

Great night all around.
The Giants scored with 1:08 left to beat Kelowna 3-2, getting a 2-1 jump in the series against a pretty smug and cocky Rocket team.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

Enjoy it, everyone. My father in Sechelt has been a fan since game 1 back in 1970 and never saw a Canuck team sweep a team in a Best of Seven. It took 39 years for him to see it happen. April 21, 2009 is when it finally happened. Enjoy it, guys.

Onto the second round. :D
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.
Cajanek_Dvacetsest
AHL Prospect

Post by Cajanek_Dvacetsest »

Luongo + Van. D - Blues Powerplay = Van. Series sweep! Nuff said!! Congratulations but I still want to believe it is tied 2-2. I can not wait till next season!! :P
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Go Canucks Go......unreal and impressing.

Never thought about a sweep...

Fortunately time to rest for Sundin and Salo.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
nucks_girl
CC Veteran

Post by nucks_girl »

Whooooooo!!!!!!!!!
Scary scary game. It'll be nice to get some rest now, and for me to actually get some work done during the day instead of frantically checking all the sports sites to see if there's any developments with injuries, etc.

Would have been nice to see a bit more of a killer instinct in the 2nd, but St Louis really turned it on. Luongo was amazing and Burrows was inspired. What else can you really say? It was a whole team effort and I'm so proud that they closed it out.

And now...we wait. What a strange feeling.
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

nucks_girl wrote:And now...we wait. What a strange feeling.
Seconded...
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Linden Is God wrote:I can't believe that is the Canucks first 7 game series sweep in team history. Amazing.

I haven't been this excited for playoff hockey since 2003. I want the Wings next.
Try 82 and 94 ;)

Orca Tatt!
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Although I admit the series was a little closer than the series score tells us, but I don't think that St. Louis didn't deserve a sweep.

1) I'm a Canucks fan. I will take any victory in the playoffs: good, bad, or ugly. A win is a win.
2) Barret Jackman's and David Backes' antics on the ice. Did you see the headlock on Kesler and no call? Give me a break. Karma, bitches.
3) The Canucks were the third seed. As 'underdogish' as they have been portrayed by the media, mostly due to the fall of Calgary and rise of our boys' play, they should and did win this series and easily.

I'm not feeling bad for St. Louis at all. I think they had moments where they had the Canucks by the balls, but they didn't dig down deep and take it. That's what playoff hockey is all about. That's what Canucks hockey is now seemingly about.

Carpediem. Seize the opportunity, seize the day.

The Blues and their fans have a lot to look forward to next season. They have a good group of young guys with some talent to bring them into the fold, much like Chicago did this season. No shame in this series for the Blues, none whatsoever.

I said this over and over and over again this season...I have a feeling about our team. I'm just glad after round 1, I'm starting to see more of what I wanted to see during the bleak times in January.

So there you go, I don't feel sorry for the Blues. They DID deserve to get swept. The Canucks deserved this series regardless if it was a four game sweep or not.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Cajanek_Dvacetsest wrote:Luongo + Van. D - Blues Powerplay = Van. Series sweep! Nuff said!! Congratulations but I still want to believe it is tied 2-2. I can not wait till next season!! :P
You guys, like the Hawks have great futures... good luck...

WootWoot Bring It On!
:drink:
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

A few great moments from game four:

1. Wellwood removing Mason from the general area and sliding the puck in to open the scoring against the flow. Awesome.
2. Hansen ringing one off the post inside the first minute of OT. Would have been great to see that go in.
3. Burrows 2-on-1 with Henrik almost ending it shortly after that.
4. Killing off 6-minutes of OT penalites.
5. The impressive power-play that the 'Nucks put together right after the above - great puck movement, control and plenty of chances.
6. Luongo finding a way to look cool and composed under fire.

Ok, so not really a 'few'... Continued solid physical play from Bernier and the speed of Raymond creating chances were nice to see too. Just a lot of solid individual efforts adding up a total team win.
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

A few bad thoughts too :)... Bieksa out of position way tooooo much ( If the canucks are going to go for the Stanley .. need Sami back ).. Blues able to key on Sedin's with Sundin outta the line up the second line and Kesler are not formidable..

and a few good ones :)
The PK and Luongo kept the Canucks in the game and Burrows had a tremendous game. PP looked good in OT.. Bernier has been a stand out in each of the 4 games.. Ossie looked ok as a Dman though most of the work ( over 35 min ) and kudo's to Mitchell and Ohlund..Edler didn't have a great game but should maybe change positions to back up goaltender :)... Main good thought - WE JUST SWEPT THE BLUES - The hottest team in the NHL in the second half of the season!! And the time off will give Sundin and Salo a chance to recover .. not to mention the rest of the team must have a bunch of lumps and bruises that can use the rest..

and a sad thought... ) wont see Canucks playing hockey for about 9 .. 10 days :(
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Mikodat wrote:
and a sad thought... ) wont see Canucks playing hockey for about 9 .. 10 days :(
Yeah won't be one of these GDT for a while.

What to do...what to do?

I guess we can make up stories of the Canucks on their 7-10 hiatus from the playoffs :p :lol: :lol:
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
nucks_girl
CC Veteran

Post by nucks_girl »

LotusBlossom wrote:
Mikodat wrote:

What to do...what to do?

I guess we can make up stories of the Canucks on their 7-10 hiatus from the playoffs :p :lol: :lol:
Don't know what's going to occupy my time. I hope I don't get so desperate that I start watching the Jersey - Carolina games!

Anyways, I gotta go make up some Canucks rumors in the Bar & Grill... :drink: and I'm gonna need some help from good ol' Captain Morgan...
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

nucks_girl wrote:
LotusBlossom wrote:
Mikodat wrote:

What to do...what to do?

Don't know what's going to occupy my time. I hope I don't get so desperate that I start watching the Jersey - Carolina games!

Anyways, I gotta go make up some Canucks rumors in the Bar & Grill... :drink: and I'm gonna need some help from good ol' Captain Morgan...
Oh I'll keep you busy ng, you can count on that :wink:

Starting with this http://www.slashfood.com/2009/03/27/ret ... o-23-anos/

Fug the Captain, I am your TL C :mrgreen:
Last edited by Arachnid on Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

LotusBlossom wrote:they should and did win this series and easily.
Agreed with everything except that one...from my vantage point this series was alot closer than the record indicated. Very well evenly matched. The deciding factor in my opinion was we had a stellar superstar world class goaltender playing in the zone and they had a very good effective goaltender was caught lightning in a bottle and was on fire for the 2nd half of the season. In the end, it was an amazing leg save here, a crossbar there, a timely save whenever the game was on the line and the mental edge he brings for his teammates (and gets into the psyche of the opposition) that was the difference. All that might add up to one goal difference per game but thats the HUGE difference that always eluded us in the 90s when (at best) we had competent goaltending. Going up against guys like Roy & Hasek we stood very little hope.

What a freaking relief to be on the other side of that coin! Letting Lu go and bringing Schnieder into the fold is unthinkable and out of the question as far as I'm concerned. Resigning Luongo has to be Gillis' #1 priority this summer, far greater than looking at any outside help. We're really starting to see his true value now. If these playoffs keep going the way they're going I can't see Brodeur starting over Lu in 2010.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy