GDT: GAME 1 - Canucks host Blues - 7pm - CBC, VS

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: GDT: GAME 1 - Canucks host Blues - 7pm - CBC, VS

Post by Mikodat »

Faaaaaaaantastic... Sedins hitting !! Salo playing a great game.. Every player on the Canucks showing guts.. beating Fatchuk n the Blues physically as well as scoreboard. I like the way this team is playing.. blocking shots, taking hits and give more back :)... Only bad play was Sedin's hook that lead to Blues goal.. Luongo in focus and D playing great :) 2 - 1 :) :).. Great start !! I am PUMPED !!
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Wasn't exactly a convincing victory and it looks like we're in for a gritty series, but a win is a win. Mason seems to have problems with hard shots from the blueline so I hope the team focuses on them in the future.

Whatever, One down fifteen to go! :towel:
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

I don't know if Bernier got credit for the 2nd goal or not, but he shoulda got a star. He was all over the place and making life miserable for the Blues. He missed one or two chances, but if he keeps this up who could complain about his contribution?

Thankfully, O'Brien kept his head after the 1st period. To me, it wasn't the rough undisciplined penalties that killed me but the lazy plays like Henrik's penalty. Give our D credit, they didn't make many (if any) glaring boo-boos and kept the Blues top the outside in the 3rd.

I was ambivalent about Wellwood after his honeymoon ended, but after his effort tonight I am starting to love the little Michelin man.... Love that shiner of his, if only he scored...

Check 1 in the win column

3 TO GO BABY!!!!!!

WAAAAAAAHHOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :towel:
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

Loved the way we shut down the Blues in the 3rd. If we stay out of the box, can the Blues beat us? Five on five, I just can't see it happening over the course of a 7 game series.
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.
JCardinal
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JCardinal »

Nice to get the win. Just what I expected in the first two periods, lot's of nerves and chaos. Next game onwards we will start to see what both teams are *really* like in the playoffs, if the third is a preview I'm happy so far.

I loved the way Louie twice straight armed blues skating through his crease on to their asses. I liked everyone's effort with the possible exception of Sundin who looked even slower but I guess you can't really expect anything else since this is the playoffs and everyone else kicked it up a gear and he just doesn't have a higher gear to begin with. Unfortunately his saving grace of being good on faceoffs seems to have gone by the wayside so far as well.

Louie was largely untested.

On the down side: Damn, what does it take to get the CBC guys to talk about the Canucks, the guys in Toronto seem to be operating off old cheat sheets and primarily interested in the ex leaves. Normally I find that PJ Stock guy annoying but when he stated after the game that Milbury spent too much time bitching about the Blues failings on that 5 on 3 and not enough giving credit to the Canucks I nearly cheered as I was thinking the same thing.

Also boo to CBC for deciding the Canucks weren't worth spending the extra money on renting and HD broadcast truck for the games in St. Louis.

It's nice to see the Blues in the playoffs again, I could give a crap about Chicago but everyone keeps saying how cool it is they are doing better now, to me it's the Blues that should be getting some of that credit.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Lancer wrote:I don't know if Bernier got credit for the 2nd goal or not, but he shoulda got a star. He was all over the place and making life miserable for the Blues. He missed one or two chances, but if he keeps this up who could complain about his contribution?
I really really liked what I saw out of Bernier. Helping the team win even if you don't show up on the scoreboard. Exactly what the playoffs are all about.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Hey Brian, have you ever thought about instituting a live chat room during the game or would you rather create content? (we could always cut 'n paste the transcript 8-) )

Jamie
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

I actually think this was a convincing win of sorts. I just don't see how the Blues will be able to beat us at our own game. They're going to have to find another approach. I'm with everyone who wants to single out Bernier's effort. Sadly, Mats Sundin looks absolutely terrible and he seems to be getting worse, not better.

Oh well, big win Go Canucks Go.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

the toucan kid wrote:Sadly, Mats Sundin looks absolutely terrible and he seems to be getting worse, not better.
I don't know, i think nobody on the team looked absolutely terrible, they all were contributing more or less in different aspects of the game but i totally agree that Bernier was a positive surprise and Wellwood too, Sundin wasn't but not bad either. Ok he isn't the Mats of former years but hey he's 38 and not bad for his age and value for the team in terms of line pairings.

Go Canucks Gooooo
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

I don't know, i think nobody on the team looked absolutely terrible, they all were contributing more or less in different aspects of the game but i totally agree that Bernier was a positive surprise and Wellwood too, Sundin wasn't but not bad either. Ok he isn't the Mats of former years but hey he's 38 and not bad for his age and value for the team in terms of line pairings.
I'm trying to find ways to defend the guy, and I do still believe his face-offs, reputation, and down low play have value for us, but his legs and hands are not at NHL level right now. He can't keep up with the play and can't handle the puck when he's moving. It's kind of sad and at this point if he's still getting worse, there's little hope. He has this befuddled look on his face too, as if he doesn't know why he can't get it done.

However, if people start saying signing him was a mistake... they're definitely wrong on that count.

Nonetheless, a whole lot of positives to look at.

This may generate some :roll: from a constituency on this board, but Hank and Dan were great as well.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

This team has an amazing ability to preserve a lead into the 3rd. I hope that the record is also a sign that this team is well conditioned.

I liked what I was. Starting Hordi was a nice touch as well.

Excellent start to the playoffs.

:cheers:
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Mellanby_equals_grit wrote:Damn.. Vancouver's D owned us in the 3rd period. We went in outshooting (despite seemingly 90% of our shots being off net) and were just dominated in the 3rd. No pressure til we pulled Mason.
:lol: Funny how you have your ears pinned back over on this board
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Blob Mckenzie wrote::lol: Funny how you have your ears pinned back over on this board
Back in 2003 they were a superstar little below team. I remember this series so well, got shaved an iroquee and Trevor won it all.... game 7 hell yeah. Even Pavol played there as far as i can remember, now he's here and tides are changing. Therefore i expect a quick one, 5:1... in honour of all old bluesers. :mrgreen:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Gettin' ready for game time Cookie? ;)
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Cornuck wrote:Gettin' ready for game time Cookie? ;)
You said it. :mrgreen: cheers