GDT: Canucks host Flames - 7pm - SNet | 4/7

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

GDT: Canucks host Flames - 7pm - SNet | 4/7

Post by Cornuck »

Well, this is the game we've been looking forward to for the past few weeks. It seems the Canucks have been looking forward to it lately as well (judged by their last couple of games).

The Flames can Clinch the Division tonight with a win. The Canucks need to win if they have any plans for a division title - or even 4th place.

At this point in the season, there is little to say. Is this game a 'gut check'? Has the team decided to rest up for the playoffs? Was the 10 games in 10 cities trip hard on the team?

NHL.com Preview
Canucks.com Game Notes
THN.com TooT
(CTRL+Click to open in a new window)

GO CANUCKS GO!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: GDT: Canucks host Flames - 7pm - SNet | 4/7

Post by Mikodat »

This game is hugely important. It will show us a preview of the playoffs. The last game showed just how badly the Canucks can play. The whole team genuinely sucked - Luongo gave a good imitation of Cloutier and the rest of the team played without energy or heart. This one should show how good they can be. Hopefully the experiment with Raymond on second line is over. Lots of speed but he can't shoot :(.. 5 missed shots against Av's.. Maybe Pyatt is back? Think the Canucks need to field the biggest , toughest team they can or the Flames will run them out of the arena. Keenans teams are always noted for toughness. This is the matchup of the year for the Canucks, if they don't play a strong game they aren't going anywhere in the playoffs.

Goooooooo Canucks.... score 3-2 ... Kesler, Sundin and D Sedin... Iginla and Langkow for flames.. Luongo plays like the Superstar again ..
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Not cataclysmic if we lose, but I sure as hell hope they show up tonight so the board doesn't erupt in concern (read: total insanity) at the prospects of the team.

Seriously though, even I would LOVE to have this game and have long held it in my mind as a benchmark. So, Go Canucks Go and all that jazz.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Have to say, I not all that worried about tonight. Sure I'd love to seem them win but does it really matter all that much? Every game is claimed to be a statement game - that will predict our success or failure in the playoffs - if they lose the next three for a five game losing streak, sure I'll be a bit worried, but other than that might as well get all the gaffs out before the games that matter. And if RayMay stays on the 2nd line, I predict he will put one in the net.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Reasons I say the Nucks will win:

-the Flamers are horrible in back-to-backs and are not a noted road team.

-the Flamers are still without some minute-munching defencemen (yeah, neither did Colorado, but it's still apples and oranges for other reasons)

-the Canucks had a no-game day yesterday, which makes them better-rested than what they were on Sunday.

-for some reason, the Canucks still tend to play down to their opposition but they know who they face with the Flamers. Not too hard to get fired up for this game.

-there is way too much pride and too much experience with the winning streak they were on to figure the players will accept another effort like last game. They know what it takes to win in the Spring and their record (last 3 games notwithstanding) shows it.

-unlike previous porous outings by Luongo, he admitted he needed to be better after the last game. I'm betting he will be jacked-up and ready to atone tonight.

A win here will not guarantee the Canucks a division title, but a loss will guarantee they won't win it. They know what's on the line and we'll see (well, I won't see. Stupid CRTC regulations......) a different team tonight.

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Great win tonight and Roberto Luongo has told everyone that he is ready for the playoffs.

:cheers:
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

Saweeet! What a reversal. It sounds like he was quite the difference.. did the shots on goal indicate the level of play? Either way I hope this is his "gettin' into playoff zone".. play like that could take us far.. cough cough.. :D
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Luongo was a man possessed. Thank God we have a goalie who can steal a game. I guess he was ready to atone for the last game. BOBBY LOOOUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!! Back in shape for the playoffs.

Ohlie pots a couple for the home team, but the score flatters us. The Flamers made a game of it in the third, but once Ohlie scored his second goal it was goodnight Irene.

Too bad the Oil are out of the playoffs, but it's them and the Flamers, so it's not too much to hope for them to win at least bone of the two. Other than that, all the Nucks have to do is win, baby!

WAAAAAAAAHHOOOOOOOO!!!!! :rockin: :cheers:
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Regardless of how the Flames do down the stretch... Luongo looked fantastic tonight and that bodes well for us regardless of who we play.

I was completely reminded of two years ago, when he consistently stole games for us. If he plays even close to that well in the playoffs, the Canucks have a great chance against most teams.

Our forwards weren't very good, the team was pretty bad in the first, and Luongo was there to keep us in the game until we got a few bounces. Rick Rypien was one of our best forward, IMO... physical, scored when we needed it and I couldn't help but think "Bertuzzi?" when he took the puck hard at Kipper.

Is it just me, or does O'Brien have a target on his back? I hope the guy doesn't change his style of play because the holding and unsportsmanlike penalties were brutal reputation-based calls.
Broda
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Broda »

Gotta agree about the calls on O'Brien, i wasn't too pleased with how the game was officiated.. im not usually worried about reffing in games but i guess against the flames i get frustrated if things just don't go well. Thought there could have been a handful couple more calls in the game.
Sadly cause im in Calgary right now i had to watch the sportsnet west feed.. OMG.. peter Lombardios is just brutal. I can't stand listening to him. I know its a reginal broadcast but come on don't be such a homer. Was just frustrating.

Was an amazing performance by our Captain. Luongo is the reason this team is a legitimate threat in the playoffs. He can shut down teams. He probably made a couple saves tonight that would be in his top ten saves of the year reel.

I'm not too worried about if this team wins the division or not. I would just like to see it happen cause of the first round home ice advantage would be great. Anyways one of my biggest reasons i see year in and year out for the stanley cup champions is the Captain putting the team on his back and carrying them through all the adversity. I can't remember the last time a teams captain wasn't one of the teams top three players... that and great goaltending... and seeing as Lu is that guy he kinda covers both bases with being Captain and goalie. If this team comes thru and wins the cup gaurantee Luongo will be the Conn Smyth.. anyways not to get too ahead of myself, this is just one of the reasons i think we failed to make it deep in recent years. Not that i don't like Naslund.. he just isn't that Stanley Cup Champion type captain.. Lu is.

Great bottom line tonight.. Go Nucks Go!
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

Other than Luongo the team played a mediocre game.. Luo was fantastic.. and the only reason we won.. Ohllund looks like he is rounding into Playoff form.. Sundin played well.. rest of the team? not so much...
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

With Anaheim (8-2-0 in their last ten), St.Louis (7-2-1), Columbus (4-2-4) and Nashville (4-3-3) duking it out for the 6, 7, and 8 seed, I think I'm okay with settling into the #5 seed; home ice would be nice but this team can win on the road. Chicago is good but beatable and I'll take Luongo over Khabibulin/Huet in 7 games. The team is healthy down the stretch (amazing considering we have Rypien, Salo, Ohlund, and Mitchell); Luongo had a great game, and Kesler and Burrows continue to stir the pot and ignite the offence.

It's a pity we don't face Calgary in the first round; a first round series would be epic...
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Lou was standing on his head. I thought we were outplayed, but I agree the officiating sucked and if O'Brien looks at someone he gets a penalty.

No apologies for winning. The goalie is on our team.
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

Lou was standing on his head. I thought we were outplayed, but I agree the officiating sucked and if O'Brien looks at someone he gets a penalty.

No apologies for winning. The goalie is on our team.
Agree , however Canucks allowed way too many shots.. forwards not backchecking as well as they should be.. a few too many penalties taken . Luongo cant be expected to face nearly 50 shots a game every night. He played an outstanding game and gave us the win. Good news was the play of Sundin.. had some good shots on goal and played well all night.. with the Sedin line being effectively shut down for 2 1/2 periods secondary scoring was essential. Kudo's to Rypien and Ohlund and good play by 2nd line .
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Luongo looked like he did in the 06/07 playoffs. If that's the way he is going to play then we're going to be pretty tough to beat. Guys like Kesler an Burrows are just made for today's playoff game, and if we get anything out of the Sedins and Sundin... I don't know there may still be quite a bit of hockey to watch this year.