GDT: Canucks host the Avs - 7pm - TSN | 4/5

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

GDT: Canucks host the Avs - 7pm - TSN | 4/5

Post by Cornuck »

Back to back games leaves us facing the Av-nots tonight. Except for Sakic, I don't feel bad at all about their fall from grace. Their fans who once set the consecutive sellout record are staying away in droves. Should we call it the curse of St. Patrick?

Meanwhile, we need to get back on track after 2 losses and a short lived session at the top of the Division. Has the "we made the playoffs" mindset kicked in?

I'm guessing we'll see LaBarbera tonight and maybe the team will rally around him. A win would be nice, no injuries would be best - both would be fantastic. Even though this is a home game, it's our 9th game in a row that involved travel.

NHL.com Preview
Canucks.com Game Notes
THN.com TooT
(CTRL+Click to open in a new window)

GO CANUCKS GO!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: GDT: Canucks host the Avs - 7pm - TSN | 4/5

Post by Mikodat »

I expect a better defensive game tonight... last night the D and goaltending was not up to par.. Hopefully Luongo and the D will put in a better effort and the forwards will concentrate a bit more on back checking. No reason why the Canucks can't win the Division unless they dog it instead of playing full out.. LaBarber can play as well as Luongo has the last couple games if he is put in and the Canucks just might give him a lot more help than they have been giving Luo the last few games.. I am not sold on the Sundin/Kesler/Raymond line .. even if Raymond got a goal last night he isn't in the same class as Demitra... So we end up back with 1 strong line instead of 2.. Better to bring up Hansen to fill in for Pyatt.. then we got a decent 3rd and 4th line..
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Mikodat wrote:I expect a better defensive game tonight... last night the D and goaltending was not up to par.. Hopefully Luongo and the D will put in a better effort and the forwards will concentrate a bit more on back checking. No reason why the Canucks can't win the Division unless they dog it instead of playing full out.. LaBarber can play as well as Luongo has the last couple games if he is put in and the Canucks just might give him a lot more help than they have been giving Luo the last few games.. I am not sold on the Sundin/Kesler/Raymond line .. even if Raymond got a goal last night he isn't in the same class as Demitra... So we end up back with 1 strong line instead of 2.. Better to bring up Hansen to fill in for Pyatt.. then we got a decent 3rd and 4th line..
I have to say that I am back in the Raymond camp. I thought his season was done but he has played well lately. I don't know about last night, I didn't watch the game, but I think Raymond has earned another shot to fill that role. In the playoffs it might be a different thing, and obviously it depends who we're playing.

We need a win whether we want to win the division or win home ice advantage for at least the first round.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Raymond looked great out there and I think it might actually be a fit. Demitra centering Bernier and Hanssen has some appeal to me, but get Wellwood out of there. In my opinion he's not up for playoff hockey.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Kesler-Sundin-Raymond
Bernier-Demitra-Hansen (potentially Pyatt)
Rypien-Johnson-Hordichuk

Grit on all four lines and skill on three of them. Pretty potent I think.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Is it me, or does this look an awful lot like January all over again???

I guess the only thing different is the lack of passion. Nobody is showing up tonight thus far.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Is it me, or does this look an awful lot like January all over again???
You will know on Tuesday. If they aren't up for that, then I permit you all to proclaim the sky is falling :lol:
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

What a chump effort. Like they just looked at Colorado's roster and decided to mail in a minimal effort expecting to win.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Don't think it would have made a difference, but why start Luongo tonight? Back to back against a much (on paper) weaker opponent - with a big game coming up? Why?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

AV didn't look too impressed, neither was I :oops:
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Keep in mind the Canucks peppered Roloson with 46 shots and were probably still reeling from the night before. The Avs only had one other game that week and it was on Wednesday.

Not an excuse, but something to consider. I also question whether or not starting Luongo was a good idea. Obviously had we won I wouldn't be speculating but with a playoff birth already clinched and Calgary idle, why not give Luongo a breather?
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

jchockey wrote:Keep in mind the Canucks peppered Roloson with 46 shots and were probably still reeling from the night before. The Avs only had one other game that week and it was on Wednesday.
It will likely come down to the Calgary game although Calgary might be able to afford to even lose that game and still end up in 1st.

No doubt about it, it was a terrible game last night and shades of January. However, it was a back to back and effectively the 9th road game in a row (last 9 games have not been played in the same city in consecutive games). Colorado had three days off and were completely rested.

No excuses but last night was likely the exception not the (new) rule.