GDT: Canucks host Kings - 7pm - SNet(HD) | 3/13

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

GDT: Canucks host Kings - 7pm - SNet(HD) | 3/13

Post by Cornuck »

After getting only 1 point on their California trip, the Canucks host the Kings tonight and (if they have any pride) will get their revenge after losing 3-2 in LA.

Not much has changed since then - but will the continued long term history of this team (no matter what lineup) of falling to lesser teams continue? The Kings have a history of ruining our playoff chances, and although we have a long way to fall to end up 9th, we still have a chance to make 4th - or even 3rd. Winning tonight will get us back on track.

NHL.com Preview
TSN.ca Game Day
THN.com TooT
(CTRL+Click to open in a new window)

GO CANUCKS GO!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: GDT: CAnucks host Kings - 7pm - SNet(HD) | 3/13

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

Fuh-Kelay...

Eleventy-eight hundred sixteen to nothing for the good guys. Luongo with 30 goals.

Just win, you dolts.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks host Kings - 7pm - SNet(HD) | 3/13

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Damn it, didn't realize that your GDT went up as I was researching stats for my own. Anyway, I'll delete that thread and just add below what I had. Sorry Cornuck wouldn't have duplicated if I had seen yours first.

Preview:

After picking up only 1 out of a possible 4 points, the Canucks have a chance to exact some revenge on a foe they should have soundly beaten. No longer under mother's withering gaze, now in the sweet confines of home, they are presented with the opportunity to reboot and get the machine running on all cylinders. What will it take?

Keys:

1) Primary scoring, namely Sedin x2, Sundin and Demitra, needs to step it up in the goal department. Neither Sedin has scored since the Senators game of February 19, where each brother put one in the back of the net. That said, Daniel has put up an assist in each of the last five games, but Henrik has been entirely held off the board in the last three. Sundin has one goal in the last eight games (he did also score the winning goal in the shootout against Toronto) and Demitra has two goals in the last eight games.

2) Not usually one to criticize Luongo, it is becoming apparent that he must play a better game. We all know he is elite, but the team needs him to start playing like it and sooner rather than later.

3) The power play must be better. The team has scored only 2 powerplay goals in its last 31 chances, a 6% success rate.

Brightspot(s):

Burrows has undoubtedly been the brightest spot in the last 8 games with an astounding 7 goals and 2 assists. It seems he has found his fit and we can only hope, albeit with some reservation, that this will continue.

Kesler has also been a bright spot with 2 goals and 3 assists in the last five games.

Prediction:

3-1 Nucks. Burrows, Sundin, Edler and Brown for the bad guys.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Neither Sedin has scored since the Senators game of February 19, where each brother put one in the back of the net.
Jesus Christ... and they're apparently playing hardball at 6.5? At least they aren't going to make it tough for us to tell 'em to take a hike.

Four of our top six forwards aren't scoring goals, our bottom six might as well not dress every night, our "best goalie in the league" might not even really be in the top five this year, and our special teams are pitiful... yet up until this week we were the hottest team in the league. Goes to show how much of this game is about a little luck here and there.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Jesus Christ Luongo...

I mean I hate to get draconian, but the guy has been "on" for what? one-two months of the last year? Family concerns are one thing, but this is getting irritating.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Man - sounds like I tuned in just in time. 2 by the Kings (26 seconds apart) - then 2 by Henrik!(30 seconds apart).

That is exactly what we needed.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

A much needed win and a character one at that. That was the first time Henrik has ever carried the team on his back in crunch time.

79 points, we're just that much closer to clinching our playoff spot.
Jesus Christ Luongo...

I mean I hate to get draconian, but the guy has been "on" for what? one-two months of the last year? Family concerns are one thing, but this is getting irritating.
Jesus lay off Louie. He's hardly been terrible. You ripped him apart apart after the Anaheim game yet he was undoubtedly our best player. He wasn't exactly spectacular tonight, but he was only at fault on the second goal and it was a weird play with the team scrambling after having fallen asleep for a period and a half. He played better before his injury, but when you're playing better than any player on earth it's hard to match that performance. He's been getting steadily better, and when (if) we make the playoffs I'm sure he'll be lights out again.
Last edited by levelheaded on Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

the toucan kid wrote:Jesus Christ Luongo...

Not draconian, it is reality. When he is on he is over the top $10M good. But even he would admit his on/off ratio is about 0.1.

Like the Sedins we will see what happens in the playoffs (if we make the playoffs).

If I had to bet 10 cents, I would bet he isn't our weak link in the playoffs (if we make the playoffs).
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

dr.dork wrote:
the toucan kid wrote:Jesus Christ Luongo...

Not draconian, it is reality. When he is on he is over the top $10M good. But even he would admit his on/off ratio is about 0.1.

Like the Sedins we will see what happens in the playoffs (if we make the playoffs).

If I had to bet 10 cents, I would bet he isn't our weak link in the playoffs (if we make the playoffs).
Haha we basically posted exactly the same thing. Canucks fans sure love ripping their best players eh? Sometimes I'm glad I'm a fan of the Sabres, it helps me look at the team with a lot more neutrality. We seem to pick players apart for the littlest things.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Jesus lay off Louie. He's hardly been terrible. You ripped him apart apart after the Anaheim game yet he was undoubtedly our best player. He wasn't exactly spectacular tonight, but he was only at fault on the second goal and it was a weird play with the team scrambling after having fallen asleep for a period and a half. He played better before his injury, but when you're playing better than any player on earth it's hard to match that performance. He's been getting steadily better, and when (if) we make the playoffs I'm sure he'll be lights out again.
I agree about the playoffs, it will serve as a shot in the arm to him, I expect.

He hasn't been playing better than any player on earth for quite some time. He was only okay the second half of last year. He started out poorly this year, found his groove and then got hurt. He hasn't been great since his injury, the one bad goal a game syndrome is not an acceptable standard for him. I'll gladly lay off when he is playing like one of the best goalies in the league, but he hasn't been doing that consistently for quite a while now. I appreciate the extraneous circumstances, and if by playoff time he's got his game back, I won't care about his rough year's worth of play, just looking for some signs.

I don't love ripping our best players, I vastly prefer singing their praises. It's just that aside from Luongo in 05/06 and Naslund and Bert in the regular season from 02-04, our best players tend to be underachieving choke artists. This organization hasn't exactly justified anyone's faith with results, let us not forget.
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

Anybody else's head hit the ceiling when Hank pulled that 2nd goal out of his ass? I couldn't believe it!
He catches it, toss it to stick, spin-o-rama, dipsy-do and wrister through the legs of the dman under the arm of the goalie... man that was pretty to watch.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

As long as the team is winning games I don't see the need in getting heated. Lou has been letting in some un-Lou goals lately, and for the most part it hasn't hurt us too much. Hopefully he gets back on but on the bright side the team is proving it doesn't have to rely on extraordinary goaltending to stay in games.

Somehow, with all his bad goals going in he's still 13-3-2 since the all-star break.
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

Somehow, with all his bad goals going in he's still 13-3-2 since the all-star break.
Somehow , with all his bad goals THE TEAM is sill 13-3-2 .. Not much thanks to Luo really . hopefully he will pick it up before the playoffs.
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

I have to agree with Mikodat on this one.

Also I think I raised the bizarre nature of our winning streak, despite how poor many factors of our team game have been. The writing may be on the wall, but lets hope not. I still believe in Luongo, and if this team is healthy I think it can get to another level.

Oh and Island I never heated on message boards... pretend everything I type is with a good-natured grin.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

the toucan kid wrote:I have to agree with Mikodat on this one.

Also I think I raised the bizarre nature of our winning streak, despite how poor many factors of our team game have been. The writing may be on the wall, but lets hope not. I still believe in Luongo, and if this team is healthy I think it can get to another level.

Oh and Island I never heated on message boards... pretend everything I type is with a good-natured grin.
Well I think we have to give Luongo SOME credit here boys. When he was out this team displayed very little will to take chances and was obviously afraid of letting the weaker goalies out to dry. When he came back, there was still a lingering effect of that, but since then this team is playing more confidently...to the point where even when they don't play well the odds of winning are still decent.

Sure, he's letting in more bad goals than usual, but at the end of the day if there is a W in the column that's good enough for me.

Toucan I couldn't agree more with that last statement, and I didn't mean to suggest that it was getting nasty on here... just that maybe we need to take a deep breath and be happy we're winning some games.