Canucks @ Calgary - 7:30 Snet 2/17/09

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

the toucan kid
CC Legend

Re: Canucks @ Calgary - 7:30 Snet 2/17/09

Post by the toucan kid »

I do think that puck crossed the line, but I don't mind it not being called a goal, because it was not provable.

As for Wellwood, he's getting chances, can't blame him for his recent play.

As great as that game was, basically it sunk our division hopes because of the loser point. Okay, they weren't exactly healthy anyway, but now they're almost none with only one game to go against Calgary.

Man a first round series would be superb, hopefully Luongo finds a way to plug the holes under his arms though.
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

the toucan kid wrote:Man a first round series would be superb, hopefully Luongo finds a way to plug the holes under his arms though.
It clearly wasn't Luongo's best game, but coming through on the SO is another step in the right direction; he seemed to be playing well until that 3rd goal, and shutting the Flames down in the SO should continue to build on his confidence.

I'm not so worried about Luongo as I am with the state of the d; they seem to be giving away the puck far too much... With the offence rolling, I would hope that GMMG will be working the phones to find a decent puck-moving defenceman. :?
Broda
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Broda »

Ah that was a wicked game, I ended up going down with my brother in law who is... errr.. a lames fan.. oh well... anyways yeah before the game we were saying it would be cool if the game was high shots, low scoring, great goaltending... and then we mentioned how we couldn't remember if the flames and canucks have been in a shoot out before..
Turned out to be everything we talked about was even weird how identical the game went for both teams.. both teams were scrappy, goaltending on both sides was crazy good.. i couldn't believe that Kipprusoff stopped that. we were kinda right on the goal line.. couldn't believe it... save of the year easily. Anyways back to my identical point. First Iglinga goal was from brutal defence give away.. first canucks goal was from a brutal defensive mishap... second goals were both batted out of the air at the side of the net, then both teams getting power plays only to take themselfs off moments later. Was a pretty wicked game to be at. I would love to see these teams play in the playoffs. Would be a series of epic proportions.
Anyways that shootout was nerve racking but the fact that bert put it off the post for all the fans to get up and cheer cause they thought it went it... was priceless. It was weird it seemed in the concourse that it was almost 50 50 fans but yeah once you get into the seats it looked more like 90 10 but yeah there was still a strong Canuck contingent... its always wicked to win in the enemy's rink. Love giving strangers high fives infront of depressed flames fans... made my night. Plus i didn't even pay.. muhahaha..
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Robert wrote:I just listened to the coach's comments regarding Wellwood. Man do I think it's unfair. "He should just bare down more".. are you kidding me? Wow that was just one of the sickest saves you'll ever see! I don't get it.. from that play Wellwood did not deserve taht comment. If the coach was just waiting for "any" play to make that comment well I'm not sure that's fair either as I admit to to being able to watch many games but I've seen a small few here the last week and I thought Wellwood has worked his ass off. At least I've noticed his skating is way faster than I had though he could do... oh well.

Great 2 points though! (I still don't consider it a true win)
Have to agree with you there. I saw the post game comments this morning. That was a straight out classless comment. Give Kipper some credit - that was an amazing save. We all know that, while Wellwood might be lazy, he is one of the best in-close shooters on the team. That comment was just a venue for AV to air his dirty laundry. Good Job Coach! :thumbs:
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Only success Wellwood has ever had was under the gun. So, perhaps, you try that route again to get him going, if it doesn't work you haven't lost anything anyway.