'nucks at 'yotes, 6:00 PM SNET, team1040

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

'nucks at 'yotes, 6:00 PM SNET, team1040

Post by dr.dork »

This on paper, should not be difficult, but this team finds ways to sink to the level of its competition. The Coyotes should be tired after defeating Dallas 1-0 last night. The Yotes also just came off a pretty significant losing streak (although not one of 'nuck magnitude). The Canucks should be rested.

If Carcillo is running around it would be nice to see someone take care of him.

I will have to try to extend my streak and call for a Yotes win, 5-3.

GO CANUCKS GO!
Last edited by dr.dork on Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: 'nucks at 'yotes, 6:00 PM SNET, team1040

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

Likewise... 'Yotes 3-1.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

I have a huge dislike for Gretzky. I hope the Canucks slaughter the Coyotes. Quite frankly I'm hoping for the Coyotes to not score tonight as I don't want to hear that annoying howl they play when they score.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

No question, time to start creating some separation. I'm just hopeful we start to see Luongo rounding into form.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

Will Curtis Sanford be playing again tonight, like he did against St Louis? Or will Luongo be back in net?
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Win or lose, I just hope they continue playing decent hockey. Luongo should be rounding into form right in time for the playoffs.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Larry Goodenough wrote:Will Curtis Sanford be playing again tonight, like he did against St Louis? Or will Luongo be back in net?
OUCH!
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

Miller Time
AHL Prospect

Post by Miller Time »

Lou is definitely resembling Sanford more than himself. It seems as though he is still slow moving to the right, because teams keep on setting up the one timers off the right side, especially on the powerplay and they are going in more than I feel good about. Is this still a groin issue?
Stupidity doesn't count as a handicap - park elsewhere.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Two games in a row where I'm not happy about the quality of play, but happy with the result. At least they're finding ways to win and if Lou ever gets back into the grove he was in before getting hurt, this team can be very deadly.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Who is Sanford ? LaBarbera is backup !!! (After re-reading i got your metaphor, Larry. :lol: )

Ok Phoenix had played last night but you have to pressure and force them getting tired and that's what the Canucks did in the 3rd. Convincing win imo, at least in the 3rd. My one and only complaint is they have to seal the deal with so many empty net chances, you can name Demitra, Kesler, Sundin or the Sedins, they all had the chances.

Let's see if Dallas can make them tired tomorrow.
Go Canucks Go
Last edited by Cookie La Rue on Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Miller Time wrote:Lou is definitely resembling Sanford more than himself. It seems as though he is still slow moving to the right, because teams keep on setting up the one timers off the right side, especially on the powerplay and they are going in more than I feel good about. Is this still a groin issue?
Like Sundin, he will probably be well on his way to getting back into form when the press writes a story writing off him, his wife, his kid, his car, his house and his boat. When the press writes the penultimate "Luongo sucks" story he will look great but still let in three goals. The final "Luongo sucks" story will include stories from his upbringing whereby his childhood barber notes he was "timid". Then he will get three shutouts in a row and the press will claim they predicted it.

You know he is trying harder than anybody else. He may not trust his groin 100%, that is the nature of groin (and tendon) injuries, but that is unlikely the issue.

A good comeback tonight. No complaints here. I thought they were in tough against a pretty determined Phoenix team but they still managed to come back.

That Ohlund penalty which I agree 100% was a penalty, was crap. You can't call a penalty 17 minutes after it happens and AFTER it is shown on the jumbotron. And if you do, it has to go both ways.

Jovo looked like he was in a mood.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

I left for the bar when it was 3-1 'Yotes after 2 and assumed that was the game. How wrong was I? Four games in a row all in regulation is pretty fuckin' impressive. Apparently Labarbera gets the start against Dallas tomorrow. That will be the biggest test of this steak. Coming out with 2 points might just put us in a playoff spot for good.

I honestly can't believe we won this won. I had totally given up on them after two. I am excited about this team again all of a sudden!
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Phoenix was definitely going Lemaire/Vigneault on them and tried to win the game 1-0. I definitely had the vibe for most the game that we'd be coming back... it just felt that with the missed shots, golden chances etc. that the Yotes would take the shot-count for granted and we were playing better than that.

Lovin' the play from the back-end. This is key, alllmost all pistons seem to be firing and the fact we're not relying on one unit to win games is key moving forward. That being said, I don't see us going very far if we're expecting to win 4-3 every game, especially getting into a 2-0 hole. Better teams will be able to close us out.

Luongo is almost there, I think if he makes that 3-1 save and keeps the game 2-1 we'll be that much better. He's close, it's only a split second more and he'll get those shots, even if deflected.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

I hope you're right Island, he seemed a bit down on himself after the game, but I have faith. He has always shown the willingness, and - more importantly - the ability to work his way out of funks in the past.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Yeah I think the fact that he was down speaks volumes for actually how close he is.

If he was hurting or had some other tangible excuse, there probably wouldn't be any disapointment with his play (it wasn't really that bad). Because he probably feels like he's good to go, I think he felt he should've had that one, and that's a good sign moving forward.

Regardless, the fact that the team is showing that it can win despite Lou, rather than because of him, is nice. He knows the deal, when we're climbing out of a 2-0 hole, he can't allow them that third goal. He played very well once we gave him the lead, withstood their attack well to close it out. 90% of the time that "bad" long-range deflection is a back breaker if we're playing better teams.

The biggest thing is the 2 points for us, and 0 for the Coyotes.